Having a child in Florianopolis

Dear all,

We are Nigerians but live in the Middle East and are considering having our baby in Florianopolis. We would truly appreciate any suggestions and recommendations as regards private hospitals, accommodation, and potential general costs. Also, for women who have done this before, can you please mention at what month of your pregnancy did you travel? and how much longer did you stay in the country after giving birth? Suggestions for other nice cities in Brazil for childbirth with affordable costs are welcome too. Thank you.

Hello TSanni,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for the introduction.

While waiting for someone to assist you, I suggest you read the Living in Brazil guide for expats where you will find articles such as Pregnancy in Brazil

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

08/01/23 We are Nigerians but live in the Middle East and are considering having our baby in Florianopolis.
-@TSanni

Good afternoon.  The Brazilian government does not encourage what you're planning, but they haven't forbidden it either, at least not so far.  Obtaining a visa may be a challenge, so you should be prepared for that by having all documents required by the Consulate absolutely complete and in order.

This thread contains the most recent information on the subject that members have provided to date, so you have something to go on until there are current responses to your post;

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=778600

@TSanni We will be arriving soon to have our baby.

We will arrive in time to spend most of our 3rd trimester in Floripa and have appointments with our doula and midwives. Our home birth will cost about $2500 USD for the midwife delivery and post care appointments. Our doula is an additional $750 USD. We will likely end up paying $700 - 1000 USD for prenatal care with our midwives and an appointment with an OBGYN at one of the private hospitals to establish a relationship in case of the unlikely situation of an emergency where we end up going to a hospital at the last minute.

Most airlines have a travel policy for pregnancy. The one we are flying with requires a medical clearance letter with the due date after you are 30 weeks and doesn't allow travel after 36 weeks.

We will stay at least 40 days after our son is born to complete final appointments with our midwives and doula. We may stay longer depending on the process for obtaining our permanent residency and getting our son's passport (my understanding is that he will need this before he can travel). I believe standard passport processing times are typically 4-6 weeks.

We used AirBNB to find a place for our first week and we will explore and select a neighborhood near the hospital we choose once we are there. Our hope is to deal with someone locally to get a better long term rate. I have seen what appear to be good furnished 2 bedroom options near the beach for around $1500 USD per month on AirBNB.

@mbright85 Has your baby arrived?

@mbright85 thank you for such a detailed information. Could you maybe share ther contact of your midwife? I suppose she speaks some English? Thank you so much