The work culture in Egypt

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Egypt can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Egypt can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Egypt and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it:

How would you define the work culture in Egypt?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com Team

Few weeks ago I started training in a call center AKA fresh-expats-easy-to-get-job, although I haven't been here long enough, I'd love to share my initial impressions. Egyptians are generally friendly and they want to get to know about you... which if you come from NYC, where most people are blasé (seen it all) and kept to themselves, it can be bit much at times. Because, it feels like you're being interviewed. - It is not the same a mutual exchange of information and engagement, as when you're bombarded by inquisitive questions one after another. If you don't speak Arabic, it is a good idea to double check on what it is being said in front of you, because you may misread signs and think they're making fun of you. Another thing that in general, not just in the workforce, is that they can leave you hanging in the middle of a conversation and start talking to whoever arrive, they don't excuse themselves to pause the current conversation, they simply turn and start engaging in Arabic whoever came into the picture. Another annoying thing I have learned to get used to is that they snap their fingers if they want to grab someone's attention, in the same way you would a pet.

At the other hand, if they like you, they will share whatever they are eating with you, which is greatly appreciated. There is a sense of comradery that is not often found in jobs, teamwork does work here. If you're struggling, they will readily offer help or if there's a teammate running late, everybody got their backs and rarely you would see this at the other side of the "pond" where each-man-to-themselves mentality prevails. If you're not a Muslim, it is important to remember that most are conservative so one has to watch out for what you say out loud that they might be funny and inconsequential from where we are from but frowned upon here. In other words, unless you're hanging with a liberal and open-minded crowd, I would not openly discuss your enjoyment of cannabis, radical political or religious opinions or say racy jokes (particularly around women). As I have heard, it is best to keep in good graces with Egyptian management because if they don't like you, they won't fire you but they will amount pressure for you to quit, I haven't experienced this but I'm taking the advice to heart. All in all, as of now, a good work environment but then again, one has to watch out. 

Thank you for this detailed post @FranceThePsychic

Your experience will be useful to members.

It is very much appreciated,

Bhavna