2023 Construction Costs - Punta Cana Area

Hello. I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on 2023 construction costs. A year or two ago, we were hearing that villa construction would be about $800 - $1,000 per square meter.

I am assuming these costs have increased, but wondering if anyone has insight into what can be expected to build a villa in 2023?

I really hate the price per square meter estimates! They do not take into consideration the quality of materials (concrete, paint, wiring, plumbing, etc.), quality of workmanship (labor shortages mean skilled labor is harder to find and expensive when you do), level of finishing (glass windows or Jalousie, tile or concrete floors, kitchen cabinets or concrete counter and shelves), quality of finishing materials (are tiles ceramic, coralina, marble, travertine, imported), the inclusion of appliances, etc. The variables are endless! If you get quotes from builders, make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges, bananas, and mangos!

Bottom line is that prices have gone up and will likely continue to increase - simple supply and demand for materials and labor both.

I really hate the price per square meter estimates! They do not take into consideration the quality of materials (concrete, paint, wiring, plumbing, etc.), quality of workmanship (labor shortages mean skilled labor is harder to find and expensive when you do), level of finishing (glass windows or Jalousie, tile or concrete floors, kitchen cabinets or concrete counter and shelves), quality of finishing materials (are tiles ceramic, coralina, marble, travertine, imported), the inclusion of appliances, etc. The variables are endless! If you get quotes from builders, make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges, bananas, and mangos!
Bottom line is that prices have got up and will likely continue to increase - simple supply and demand for materials and labor both.
-@ddmcghee

From where I'm standing, MTPinCC wants to infer on minimum or mid-average type of building that you can discern commonly on the island. It goes without saying, to all and sundry, the budget may increase analogously to the refined taste.

My expectations for this subject, are that  construction cost growth of 8% - 10% (2023). The construction labor force mayhap a problem plus logistics, too early to say freight prices to go level off.

Doubtful but still some good message for non-residential sector, while single family market is cooling down (increase mortgage rates)  the competition for building supplies probably will diminish.

I really can't see anyone give an honest  estimate on the cost of the building and Procurement of materials  , I have yet to see any contractors get anything done right the first time , plus what are they estimating your view or their interpretation of the job , your lighting layout. , your power layout  the power for your security, pool , gate's exterior lights , paint , windows etc….  Can't see it  , do your homework

and give yourself an estimate , sometimes you're better buying your own blocks  , sand & concrete save the 20-30% markup from the contractors

I really can't see anyone give an honest estimate on the cost of the building and Procurement of materials , I have yet to see any contractors get anything done right the first time , plus what are they estimating your view or their interpretation of the job , your lighting layout. , your power layout the power for your security, pool , gate's exterior lights , paint , windows etc…. Can't see it , do your homework
and give yourself an estimate , sometimes you're better buying your own blocks , sand & concrete save the 20-30% markup from the contractors
-@Tippj

Good advice here. It is difficult to provide sound guidance for anything DR related, especially with something as variable as construction. Everyone seems to have a different experience with just about everthing here. Developed countries pride themselves on consistent, repeatable, controlled processes. That is not the norm here, so carefully weigh any advice you get.

Well, now, in april 2024, the rates for building a villa might range between $1,000 and $1,300 per square meter, depending on various factors like location and material choices. The upward trend is largely influenced by economic fluctuations and supply chain issues.

I actually built my own villa back in 2023 and I'm really glad I did it then. The costs have jumped even more since. To manage expenses, I hired a few skilled workers and opted to buy some second-hand equipment from ***. It really helped in transporting materials and saved me a good chunk of money.

Moderated by Bhavna 3 weeks ago
Reason : Link moderated : suspicious
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@apma - are you a builde? or just took on the project yourself?

i will be be bidding a villa build in the next few weeks and looking for reliable builders to invite.

Certainly open to any recommendations and guidance.

@apma - are you a builde? or just took on the project yourself?
i will be be bidding a villa build in the next few weeks and looking for reliable builders to invite.

Certainly open to any recommendations and guidance.

-@MTPinCC

As a retired building material supplier and estimator, wish I was down there to help; this might be a good business for me in the DR eventually.

For now, I can only suggest inviting as many reputable bids as possible.

And more importantly, ask them for 2 numbers; labor and materials to be quoted individually.

If they hesitate, tell them you want the true cost of materials; for budgeting in possible upgrades.

This will give you a better sense of where your $$ is being spent, along with the ability to comparison shop materials only.

Best wishes on your future project.

@Sunbiz1

GREAT answer and I think you are correct, this is a good opp for you in the DR.