Updated building Costs

Hi all!

Wondering what updated 2022 construction costs are on a per square foot basis. I am seeing people on here quoting $250-$300/SF. This seems ridiculously high and is basically the cost for building in California.

Also my architect (local) seems to think we can build for below $100/SF using local labor and contractors. I was kind of skeptical but he is a friend of a trusted friend for over 60 years.

I have a piece of land in Isabela and have a pre qualified offer from first bank and waiting on costs.

Any thoughts on the state of the market for building?
If you have a guy who can build for less than $100/ft, please share his contact info! I am looking for land in the Rincon area and would eventually like to build.  I am also thinking about shipping container homes.
Can you please share the name of your contractor?
@Acros5790

Yes, that seems very high.  Do you have interest in building yourself? 

I can guide you thru the construction from site work to finish.  Construction will be meet specs and code.  I learned the trade as apprentice for family-owned construction businesses.   

I've spent a couple years in PR, most of it on the west side and know Isabela well.   

Jason

@m2marks Im looking for land as well! are you going to finance the land?  I'm looking for banks that will finance.

@Acros5790 if you can please share info.  We are in the process of buying land on the West side of PR.  We have not met with contractors yet, but the banks and realtor both say it's expensive to build right now.  They say ever since Hurricane Maria prices have gone up.  I'm hoping there are reputable builders who are not charging over $200/SF.  I also think the type of materials and amenities drive the cost up.  $100/SF might be a very basic constructed home. 

@Acros5790 $250-$350/SF is not a standard home design. This is well within reason depending on the scope of work. For instance we recently quoted a project at about $320/foot for 5,000SF+. This home had tons of glass and glass hand rails, which are very expensive. All the glass was also hurricane proof. The house also had massive support columns and there was quite a bit of prep to do on the land prior to construction. We also have another quote out for $900/SF which is all very high end finishes, about $2M in glass alone. Everything is relative. If you are looking for a fairly standard PR style home then yes this is high. I would assume if you're in the $250-$300 range they are quoting with armored concrete construction which is about twice as expensive as block.

@10YRStoRincon prices have gone up substantially over the last year. For instance, rebar is up about 40% and cement up about 40%. Prices have gone through the roof, long gone are the days of $100/SF. I would be amazed to hear of someone who is able to build at those prices and pay a living wage.

@Acros5790 $250-$350/SF is not a standard home design. This is well within reason depending on the scope of work. For instance we recently quoted a project at about $320/foot for 5,000SF+. This home had tons of glass and glass hand rails, which are very expensive. All the glass was also hurricane proof. The house also had massive support columns and there was quite a bit of prep to do on the land prior to construction. We also have another quote out for $900/SF which is all very high end finishes, about $2M in glass alone. Everything is relative. If you are looking for a fairly standard PR style home then yes this is high. I would assume if you're in the $250-$300 range they are quoting with armored concrete construction which is about twice as expensive as block.

- @BoldConstructionPR
Thanks for the reply. Based on what you know what is average cost per square foot an average Puerto Rican home? Prices always vary but 200-300/SF gets you a nice home in California

It really depends on the contaractor but normally about $150-$180/sf depending on finishes.

If the contractor doesn't have much work you may be able to get home down to $120 but a contractor who doesn't have work in this market isn't very reassuring.

Also, keep in mind in cali it's stick built which it much faster. They also don't have to deal with the Jones act and the crazy material prices we have here. Labor is more expensive there but materials are slowly making up that difference.
Can you please share the name of your contractor?
- @jenmayodc
I don't have a contractor yet. I am working with an architect/engineer to get my plans done. I wanted him to design it to be built to a specific price point which he thinks we can find contractors to do.
@BoldConstructionPR thank you for all your input and expertise.  I truly appreciate all your feedback.  It has been very helpful for me.

I have an odd question.  I don't see any homes built with sheetrock or duct system for AC.  Is there a reason for that?  Can you get a house built that has interior walls with sheet rock and ducts for central A/C instead of mini splits? 

Would building that way increase the price/square foot?

Also, when discussing price/square foot, does that include the entire house or just living areas? 

Again, thank you so much!!
@Acros5790

Yes, that seems very high.  Do you have interest in building yourself? 

I can guide you thru the construction from site work to finish.  Construction will be meet specs and code.  I learned the trade as apprentice for family-owned construction businesses.   

I've spent a couple years in PR, most of it on the west side and know Isabela well.   

Jason
- @JasonBerner1
Interest yes…ability due to location and time constraints  would be the issue. Another pesky issue I don't think the bank allows owner contractor not to mention I don't have the reserves to front the whole building cost.

Otherwise I'd love to!
@Acros5790 hi, I'm actually looking to extend by adding a 2nd level to my existing family home.  I too am looking for an architect that can look over and provide approval of my custom drawn plans I created on my design software (I've studied and assisted as an Interior Designer).  Would you be able to share your architect/planner.  If anyone knows a reputable contractor to build in the Aguadilla area, please share your info.  I'm hoping to start construction before year end, by Fall of 2022 would be ideal. I have my preference of the floor plan layout, appliances and interior materials I'd be utilizing my design contacts to purchase from.  I'd greatly appreciate those on this platform to share info.  As many here are realizing it's getting very difficult to find reputable, trustworthy workers/builders in the area unless its word of mouth or a kind referral I'm sure many of us looking to build our retirement or 2nd homes on the island.  I'm fortunate to have my family owned property and home to build on and extend.  Any information you or anyone else here can provide would be Greatly appreciated.

Mag
@Acros5790 hi, I'm actually looking to extend by adding a 2nd level to my existing family home.  I too am looking for an architect that can look over and provide approval of my custom drawn plans I created on my design software (I've studied and assisted as an Interior Designer).  Would you be able to share your architect/planner.  If anyone knows a reputable contractor to build in the Aguadilla area, please share your info.  I'm hoping to start construction before year end, by Fall of 2022 would be ideal. I have my preference of the floor plan layout, appliances and interior materials I'd be utilizing my design contacts to purchase from.  I'd greatly appreciate those on this platform to share info.  As many here are realizing it's getting very difficult to find reputable, trustworthy workers/builders in the area unless its word of mouth or a kind referral I'm sure many of us looking to build our retirement or 2nd homes on the island.  I'm fortunate to have my family owned property and home to build on and extend.  Any information you or anyone else here can provide would be Greatly appreciated.

Mag
- @mkvergaras

Let me talk to my engineer and see if he is taking on new clients.

I am finding it hard to find a contractor but my engineer says he will find one for me and doesnt think it should be an issue. Once I get updates i'll let people here know. 

I got a recent quote for $60-$80/SF for labor only no materials.
Thank you kindly for your response as well as information.  I would greatly appreciate the contact if you may, as I want to get at least 3 bids as well as speak, meet and see their work to make a decision.  This is a project close to my heart and would like to know I have what I desire in a home prior to my retirement in a few short years. I await your feedback and please let us know your experience in this process as well.  Kindest regards,

Maggie
7876141004 Alex Alfonzo Perez
Gracias🙏🏽🙏🏽

@10YRStoRincon I spoke to that guy from BOLD. Very charming but never called me back with a quote. Gave me the same response he gave you. Be careful with any contractor but especially guys that are not from the island. He probably has his home base on the island forbtax purposes but hasn't laid a block or erected a wall anywhere.  Tell him to take you on a tour of stuff he building. He told me he's only working on commercial projects.

@m2marks

I just joined this forum, and I just saw your post mentioning container houses.  I have been considering that myself but haven't even taken the first step.  Are there any legal/zoning issues in Rincon or Aguada that would prohibit a container home on a vacant lot?

Bruce
@BoldConstructionPR

Thank you for replying to all these posts. Quick question, would a builder in PR (as yourself) consider building a home for someone on labor only? We have built a few homes here in the states and have always been our own general contractors. Therefore, we really only pay for labor. We are looking to purchase a small piece of land on the east side of the island and think this may be the route we want to go.

Your thoughts and reply are greatly appreciated.

@Acros5790 what area are you planning to build in?

@G1977 hi, apologies if you may have slipped through the cracks. You are correct about one thing, I am here for tax purposes, I did some day trading on my free time and it made financial sense. As for construction, I come from a family of builders. I have been in construction my entire life.

[no free advertising please]

I agree with your stance though, it's very important to see a contractors work as well as their subs work. Here on the island the vast majority of work is subbed out because there is too much demand for most companies to keep up with. We currently have 3 subs we trust and work with, in addition to our own crews. Best of luck, hope you were able to find someone to get your project done for you!
Moderated by Vero last year
Reason : No free advertising please. You can register your services on the Puerto Rico DirectoryPuerto Rico Directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
[no free advertising please]
@BoldConstructionPR

How can we message you directly? Would love to get on the phone.

@m2marks I'm A Ole school self-employed

Subcontractor in the US. & All that can be figured at first ends up over the budget so either top figure or cost plus anything tacked on physically//.

Has anyone experience, have insight in pre designed house Models in PR(everything included on the build) I am interested in building too Isabela PR. Last week I was meeting with engineer there and was told 100-159sf, and about 8-9K before shovel can hit the ground on fees/permits/red tapes

I am looking at several pre drafted Home Models where you can still modify and everything (permits/labor) is included; just a turn key at delivery

I read an article a while back and called some of the companies. They were back logged several months and then I ended up finding the house I'm under contract with. Here is the article.

https://www.attainablehome.com/best-mod … erto-rico/

I'm guessing with Fiona,things are even further behind. There still is not electricity in Isabela and most of the west side.

I've seen some beautiful container homes in Jobos and Aguada on AirB&B. I'm tempted to rent one just to see how I like it next time I'm in town.

best wishes to you!

Athena

Athena,

thanks for the reply; I do have a friend I grew up with that have a property on the cliff top on the way to jobos and purchased his dual container set up from Japan/china, the entire set up (well finished) for about 90k; his problems:: Permitting/Red Tapes/Set Up, end up spending and additional 50K

the search goes on

@10YRStoRincon

Re A/C duct work for PR. Not typical since it is very humid and may act as a condensation trap given the typical temp difference inside a concrete home and high humidity outdoors. Would be a mold risk.

@Acros5790

Hi there,

I too am interested in building a home in Isabela and was hoping to connect with someone to talk more in depth about it. 

@Acros5790 can you please share your Architect?  I'm an interior Designer in the states, I have a sketch plan (floorplans) spaceplanning for the anticipated extension. Be grateful if you can please share some Resources.  Thank you

@m2marks

Hi

Yes please do share the details of the contractor.

Thanks

For the 3 months I have watched older man tear down and re-build an entire new beutifull home. As he was towards the end of construction I decided to go talk to him, he was very cheerfull and friendly. He told me he was a retired building contractor, he lived his entire life in the mountains of PR. His wife had become very ill and needed to be closer to the medical facility's so he purchased the old property tore it down and re-build this new home for a place they could stay while in town for times his wife would need to stay close to her doctors for her treatments. I asked him about the few helpers he had, he told me they were all sons of people that had worked for him in the past and that expertise was passed on from the older generation to the younger generation....all I can say is Wow!  These guys are awesome builders. Anyway, he paid $79k for the old house and spent $65k in materials and labor. Built a new solid concrete 2 brm. 2 ba. 2 car garage home in about 3 months. All floor is tiled the house is 2000 sq ft....you guys figure this out.

@Acros5790

FEBRUARY 2023

Construction costs per square foot in Puerto Rico:

Low-End: $125

Average: $145

High-End: $165 up

$225-$250 if you want it done in mainland time.

if you're lucky to find someone to do it less “$125-$165”, it will most likely be done in island time. That's our personal experience.

@Acros5790 can I have your contractors information I'm looking to build a house on my grandfather's land in dorado puerto rican

What is armored concrete construction?

@gthatch As I understand it in Puerto Rico most homes are build with armored concrete particularly all the outside walls. A mixture of rock material and other compounds mixed-in the cement or concrete is poured inside a form or mold that has a steel metal rebar frame thus assuring an extremely hard solid surface. Attempting to penetrate a wall built in armored concrete would take powerfull jack hammer and much patience. This type of construction is especially efficient against hurricain winds, rain and debri. Hope this helps.

The correct term is reinforced concrete.