Teaching English in Uruguay

Hi there, I am Yuki from Mongolia, I had been studying at a US college and now, since everything turned online, I get to go anywhere and still study to experience more of another culture and environmental aspects wherever I go. I have just found out that this platform allows us to connect with one other who is experiencing similar goals. With that matter, I would love to know more about how Uruguay is for foreigners, and how likely we are to find a job or internship that I can cover my expenses over there to pay for rent, sightseeing, and other potential activities. More preferably English teacher or tutor jobs as I had only a quarter of Spanish class while studying at the college. I bet there are many schools that are in need of qualitative teachers to prepare for their students' future.

Hello Yuki,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that a new topic has been created on the Uruguay forum with your post as it deserves a thread of it own.

I hope it won't be too long before members share their insights with you on this subject. :)

Good luck,

Diksha
Expat.com team

Hi Yuki,

Hope you're well!

I'm an institute coodinator in Montevideo, Uruguay. We are currently looking for an English teacher.
Please send me an e-mail to [link moderated] so we can schedule an interview.

Have a good day!

I am interesting in this job to teach English in uruguay
My email address,  ***
I await your call

Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please note: Contact details are not allowed on the forums.
Please exchange by PM

Hello,

I'm a 51-year-old American with a degree and background in journalism, who is sincerely considering a move to Uruguay.

If any readers of this post are affiliated with a language institute, or think they may be aware of information that would prove valuable as I seek potential employment, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thank you!

Jason

Hello Jason,

Kindly consult the link below. I think the job offers listed there might interest you as they are specifically looking for American citizens.

https://www.eslstarter.com/teach-englis … fl-uruguay

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee thank you, Yoginee!

@Yoginee

It is really appreciated how the folks at expat.com help with links.  I have benefited from them myself.  Thank you!

I therefore feel a little awkward at pointing out a pointing out a problem with this link here.  These people offer a salary of about USD 800 (UYU 33,000) and claim "Earn a great local salary so you can have a comfortable life in Uruguay".  This really misrepresents the facts.  If you come to Uruguay by yourself (i.e. without a partner) you will not be able to live comfortable with this (even if you include the housing allowance which is another 10% of the salary). 

They pay your flight and pick you up at the airport it seems, but look at it as an opportunity of getting to know the country at a reduced cost instead of living there well on the salary.

Hello armin31,

I therefore feel a little awkward at pointing out a pointing out a problem with this link here.  These people offer a salary of about USD 800 (UYU 33,000) and claim "Earn a great local salary so you can have a comfortable life in Uruguay".  This really misrepresents the facts.  If you come to Uruguay by yourself (i.e. without a partner) you will not be able to live comfortable with this (even if you include the housing allowance which is another 10% of the salary).

Thank you for pointing this out. It is in fact a crucial information that you provided.

Unfortunately, I do not reside in Uruguay so I would not know about the cost of living there. But we are extremely grateful for members like yourself who leave no stone unturned to help other members1f609.svg

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee

Hello, Yoginee!

We have to make this work together.  The community needs you and without the community the forum has no meaning.

I am very grateful for you providing not only a good technical foundation but also the personal attention.  This is absolutely rare on a forum, but therefore all the more appreciated.

Thank you and all the best to you all!

Armin

@armin31 That's interesting when retirees are required to have an income of at least US$1500 per month. My partner and I live comfortably on £1,000 pm (US$1,170-US$1,300 depending on exchange rates) but we pay no rent or mortgage, have solar pv, a borehole and grow some of our own food.