Meeting Kenyan in-laws for the first time!

I am not having much luck finding any help for an American guy with a Kenyan wife.  I will be meeting her parents for the first time this Christmas in Kenya.  I am in construction so upper poor/bottom middle in money.  I know her mother is a teacher and her dad works for the government.  They live in a rural area with limited electricity/plumbing.  I have so many questions! First is the visa where do I apply? Second what kind of gifts should I bring?  I have spoken to her parents once but the english was to accented for me to understand.  My final question for now is dual citizenship.  What are the requirements and pros/cons.

tourist420 wrote:

I am not having much luck finding any help for an American guy with a Kenyan wife.  I will be meeting her parents for the first time this Christmas in Kenya.  I am in construction so upper poor/bottom middle in money.  I know her mother is a teacher and her dad works for the government.  They live in a rural area with limited electricity/plumbing.  I have so many questions! First is the visa where do I apply? Second what kind of gifts should I bring?  I have spoken to her parents once but the english was to accented for me to understand.  My final question for now is dual citizenship.  What are the requirements and pros/cons.

Well, I am a European guy with a Kenyan wife, and the help is very poor. His limitations are to come, get married, take his wife to the USA and after 7 years he can apply for Dual citizenship. But if he want to stay, he has the option for a dependent pass which allows him to stay in Kenya but not work or do any business.
These are the options he has to stay in Kenya.
I myself am married to my wife now for 2 years, and due to laws we live separate, she lives in Kenya and I live in Iceland and now that Covid has been nilled out in Iceland I have hope that I can bring her finally to Iceland, but I rather would live in Kenya, but is not possible after 7 years, if the requirements are met.
Gifts? I can not help you.
The Kenyan family law is like zeroed out, unless he is a business tycoon who has lots of cash.

I am lucky as she lives here with me in America with a green card.  Working on citizenship.  Thanks for your reply! Good luck with yours!

Firstly, Karibu Kenya
Visa is as you enter the country, I believe the cost/fee is $50.
Dual citizenship is applicable after three years of marriage I think, The Immigration website has all the information.
As for her parents, home etc, respect is what they look for, DO NOT ENTER THEIR HOME WITH SHOES ON, ask to sit. Ask as many questions as possible;e and please do not call her parents by their first names, I know it is an American thing but it is a NO-NO back home, we call parents Mum and Dad. From experience, if offered food, please try to eat, a majority of our food is super delish, just need to get used to, you know, no pun intended, such as sweet/unsweet tea in America. I hope this helps. I am a Kenyan married to an American.

wanjikufkiniaru wrote:

Firstly, Karibu Kenya
Visa is as you enter the country, I believe the cost/fee is $50.
Dual citizenship is applicable after three years of marriage I think, The Immigration website has all the information.
As for her parents, home etc, respect is what they look for, DO NOT ENTER THEIR HOME WITH SHOES ON, ask to sit. Ask as many questions as possible;e and please do not call her parents by their first names, I know it is an American thing but it is a NO-NO back home, we call parents Mum and Dad. From experience, if offered food, please try to eat, a majority of our food is super delish, just need to get used to, you know, no pun intended, such as sweet/unsweet tea in America. I hope this helps. I am a Kenyan married to an American.

Visa on arrival has been terminated now it has to be applied online.
Citizenship is after 7 years of marriage, after 3 years it is only possible to apply for a permanent dependent pass where the foreign spouse is still not allowed to work.
I have been investigating about this now since 2018 and these are the solutions:
- dependent pass after marriage valid for 1 year, cost 6000 kes and a bond of 100.000 kes required (Not allowed to work, Kenyan spouse must supply evidence of sufficient income
https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/ … ndantpass/ )
- after 3 years of marriage residence permit ( https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/pr/catd/ )
- after 7 years of marriage can apply for citizenship ( https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/ … /marriage/https://www.klrc.go.ke/index.php/consti … gistration )

Hello Mr..my name is Margaret...you can call me Maggie...I can only help you with the gift query... truth be said most Kenyan women or families like money...I won't lie to you.... so just be you.. when I say be you I mean.... don't push yourself too hard.. carry whatever your heart tells you...and if your girl loved you she will support you..she won't let you use more than you have..my advice to you is that.. you do some shopping for the house.. specifically for the house..in Kenya we appreciate that gesture...then when you meet them don't be scared.with whatever it is that you have brought.. Carry your head high and master the courage to face them... mostly parents have no problem...the problem comes with the invited uncle's.. prepare for that...one thing you should know.. DON'T YOU DARE TELL THEM YOU HAVE MONEY.. BELIEVE YOU ME...THEY WILL SUCK OUT EVERYTHING... HOPE YOU HAVE KNOWN YOUR WOMAN FOR SOMETIME.. YOU CAN TELL IF SHE'S GOING TO SUPPORT YOU INTERMS OF WHO YOU ARE... ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU MAY THINK YOU KNOW SOMEONE WELL ENOUGH AND COME TO FIND OUT THEY HID THEIR TRUE IDENTITY.... FOLLOW WHAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU.. OTHERWISE ALL THE BEST.. FROM THE DEEPEST PART OF MY HEART...AM WISHING YOU LUCK

I am a british man married to a Kenyan (Kikuyu).  I am surprised when you say that you are not finding much help - I got all my help, do's and don't's directly from my wife!

I'd strongly agree with the above.  The main thing is not to go empty handed as this is seen as highly disrespectful.  Gifts needn't be big or expensive and your partner should be able to provide guidance on what to get.  Keep the gifts to the key members of the family - if you buy for the extended family, then this can become very expensive and will be an expectation for every visit.

Act with respect, dress smart/casual, don't use first names, remove shoes on entering the house.  Certainly don't turn down food that is offered.  If it's Christmas day, its possible that a goat will be slaughtered and cooked ............. don't refuse to eat!  Above all ask your wife - they are her parents.

Kenyans often have an assumption that all foreigners are rich, so as posted above extended family can start approaching you for medical fees, education fees and so on, as if you are printing money in your basement.  My wife is very supportive and knows where the line should be drawn - I hope that yours is.

You would enter Kenya on a Single Entry Visa (https://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html).  Apply less than 3 months before your travel date, but don't leave it until the last few days. 

Three years of marriage will give to the right to apply for permanent residency which does give you the right to work (the information above is incorrect).  7 years for a dual citizenship application.  However, you cant apply for either of these without a Dependent Pass (if your wife is working in Kenya), or some other type of visa.  This is because to apply for PR or dual citizenship, you need a police certificate of good conduct, which you cannot obtain under a Single Entry Visa. 

Getting work in Kenya is difficult and work permits are costly.  Some permits, such as the Class K and Dependent Pass do not permit paid or voluntary work.

I would stick with the Single Entry Visa and see if you like it there first.

thanks for the reply! I keep finding 3rd party visa places.  I would like to fill out my own paperwork.

Longonot62 wrote:

Three years of marriage will give to the right to apply for permanent residency which does give you the right to work (the information above is incorrect).  7 years for a dual citizenship application.  However, you cant apply for either of these without a Dependent Pass (if your wife is working in Kenya), or some other type of visa.  This is because to apply for PR or dual citizenship, you need a police certificate of good conduct, which you cannot obtain under a Single Entry Visa. 

Getting work in Kenya is difficult and work permits are costly.  Some permits, such as the Class K and Dependent Pass do not permit paid or voluntary work.

So if the immigration officer is wrong by telling me that I only can reside with permanent residence permit but not work and you are saying the opposite I wonder who is right?
I'm chasing already for almost 4 years to stay with my wife in Kenya but it seems nobody really knows the laws about it, e. g. Immigration officers, lawyers, advocates, or government website.
Nobody can tell or advice me for a genuine way to reside in Kenya.

Hallihuberts.

Please read the following on Permanent Residence:

Under section 38 of the Act, any person who has qualified for permanent residence status is entitled to, and subject to, the following rights and obligations:

(a)  the right to be issued with a certificate of permanent residence;

(b)  the right to enter and remain in Kenya, subject to the provisions of the Act;

(c)   the right to be employed in Kenya; has the right to attend educational facilities;

(d)  the right to own property legally and to move and settle anywhere in Kenya;

(e)  the right to access and enjoy social services and facilities in Kenya;

(f)   the obligation to comply with residency obligations as may be prescribed (You will be taxed the same amount as a Kenyan citizen)

(g) Gain exemption from work permits

As a permanent resident you cannot:

·         Own a Kenyan Passport
·         Own a Kenyan ID
·         Vote
·         Own agricultural land

To be eligible to apply:  marriage to a Kenyan citizen for three years plus.  However, as you need a Certificate of Good Conduct to be able to apply for Permanent Residence, you must be able to obtain a permit such as Class K, Dependent Pass etc first.  This will enable you to spend over 6 months continuously, in Kenya, which is a requirement for obtaining a Certificate of Good Conduct.

Thank you for that, and I really start to wonder now, how come, foreigners do know more than those who work in the office?
As I said before, I had been in contact with plenty of people and none ever told me that.