Renting a house - how does it work?

Hi

I will probably travel to Mauirtius as a tourist soon. I would like to rent a house, because I wanna stay longer (first on tourist visa, later on premium).

Questions:

- Is it possible to rent on monthly basis?
- If contracts are fixed term, what to expect? One year, 6 months?
- Do I have to pay upfront before I move in (like 2-3 months rent prepaid)?

I never been to MU before, so.a fixed term contract is not ideal for me. Ideally, I would rent something on a monthly basis first and once I got the premium visa, I would switch to a longer term contract.

Is this possible?

Any advice / info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I would advise you to book an apartment in the Region where you want to settle down, or book a House from a Tourist Agency or Private. Many Houses are empty for the moment and you get a good price and you can visit before. Visit before is a must to avoid disappointment, its only my advise. Any more questions, no worries.

Dont forget about Air B n B.  This might work for what you have in mind.

Thanks for the response!

Any tourist agencies you would recommend in particular?

OK thanks!

Check beachhousesmauritius.com / Air BnB / Booking.com / TripAdvisor, they are many, if you have a Region you also can contact me /
I stay in Tamarin and know a lot of Owners here.
But the Best is to book only a few days in advance and check yourself

Air BNB is expensive....There are many houses on rent. Go to lexpress property and choose what you want.....any help please shout out....

Thanks I may do so myself :)  We will relocate in December this year and will just need to set up a temp let of say week or two while we look around for long term rent.  So if better options than Air B n B it is good to know.

also subscribe to the Rental listings right here on the Expat forum, to be notified as soon as new listings are added:

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … -rent.html

and

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … -rent.html

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please use only English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I agree.  I think you can find the best objects here for reasonable prices.  Ill probably go for this site when its time to rent something which will probably be in a few years. Ive skipped my plans to wait 12 years for my retirement.  I want to relocate earlier.

@Pushpaa Rao54 hello, I am staying for 6 weeks on the island, is it still possible to rent a normal appartment. For one person, basic furniture is enough. Thanks!

@feilchen

Hello, feel free to post a "looking for" advert in the Housing section so that members can send you offers.

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … s/add.html

All the best

Bhavna

Hi I ***

Moderated by Cheryl 2 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Otherwise you can send me more information about your stay and I'll see if I can recommend you to someone.