WHERE TO LIVE IN 2020 ? (It can be everywhere)

Hi everybody,
i am just wondering,
Do you know good places to live in South of America in 2020 or this is not the good time ?

Then where in the world? i can work like art director, graphic designer, bartender, waitor and barrista.

Enjoy your experiences and be abroad is life ;)

Hi,

From what I know of the situation in Brazil / Surinam / French Guyane, some family members and friends live there, it's really not a good idea to relocate there actually.

But I just spent two years in Ghana and it was really nice.

Ah that's what i guessed, thank you very much for your answer. Wow nice and like i said i am open for everywhere. Do you know if it's easy to get a job there ?

Hi Will de ricin,

Kindly note that your topic is now on the Expatriate forum.

Thanks and Regards,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

Hello good afternoon

Dear Will,

South America got walloped by covid.  The New York Times recently documented how Brazil's Bolsonaro and the world's most dangerous man conspired at Mar-a-Lago to defund international health aid for the region .. resulting in the exit of ten thousand Cuban doctors from South America.

Check covid numbers from Johns Hopkins or another reliable source to see countries in other regions less affected by virus this year.  New Zealand, for example.  Then cross-check against employment numbers and on-scene reports about jobs.

Let us know how it is turning out for you.

cccmedia

Resource... the www.nytimes.com article titled
    How Trump and Bolsonaro Broke Latin America's Covid-19 Defenses

Thank you so much for your answer.

I think you are right and do you know where and how i can cross-check against employment numbers and on-scene reports about jobs?
I am a little bit lose about that.

Moreover, what's about you in Colombia? Which city and how far you like it there ? because with my researches and the answers from people i have good feedbacks with the city Medellin and i do speak spanish.

Will de ricin wrote:

I think you are right and do you know where and how i can cross-check against employment numbers and on-scene reports about jobs?...

Moreover, what's about you in Colombia? Which city and how far you like it there ? because with my researches and the answers from people i have good feedbacks with the city Medellin and i do speak spanish.

Will, I do not live year-round in Colombia -- tax rules are one reason.  Since 2016 I have spent at least half a year in each of the cities of Medellín, Armenia (Quindío) and Ipiales, Nariño, near the Ecuador border.

Of these, Medellín is probably the most user-friendly city for most Expats -- with Poblado sector and its green beauty, all-star shopping and cheap, readily available taxis.  The weather is mild, sometimes warmer than mild.  There are pollution issues to consider.

Armenia has similar weather, often a couple of degrees (F.) cooler .. with less of most things (pollution, traffic, transportation options, shopping malls, swimming pools, etc.)

I was in Bogotá, the capital and largest city, for several months last year.  It was cooler and rainier than I like.  Bogotá is less desirable than the Paisa capital for Expats unless they need to work in the national capital area.

---

I don't claim to have the expertise to present a tutorial on cross-checking jobs and employment numbers.  Visit Expat sites and use a search engine to find out what you can about jobs information for any countries you might consider.  Also search Wikipedia.com for countries, territories where (language) is spoken.

cccmedia

Ah ok interesting. And so what is your best destination recommandation there ? And tax rules are really tricky there?

ah ok i will take a look for the job but the thing is annoying because the problem is i don't know yet where to live in this world and and i don't want to ask in the forum a question about only one country

Thank you so much for your answers really

The best destination depends on personal tastes and needs .. and on conditions 'on the ground,' Will.  If you visit, either Medellín or Armenia might be your initial stop.

MDE/Poblado is the more expensive place.

I'd skip the national capital region due to weather .. its poor covid history .. and the traffic.

Ipiales, near the Ecuadorian border, is not to everyone's taste.  I like it.  Lodgings are inexpensive, it's easy to find convenient transportation and there are some surprisingly good restaurants and mall shops.  Weather is cool.

This analysis does not factor in the employment scene, however.  I haven't sought work in Colombia, so my knowledge is extremely limited in that respect.  Also, I haven't been in Colombia since the start of covid times this year.  I skipped town (Medellín) in late February.

cccmedia

Will de ricin wrote:

And tax rules are really tricky there?

Tricky yes, but only for some.  The U.S. IRS does not tax most of my income, but Colombia might if I spend more than six months there in a calendar year or overlapping two consecutive years. YMMV.

cccmedia

ah yeah i see and i will check all that now with covid! But it seems interesting and that make me curious ! thnak you again for all your answers with details!!

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR