Working for a UK company whilst living in Berlin

Hello!

I'm currently employed by a UK based company but will be moving to Berlin soon.

Ideally I would keep working for my current company whilst residing in Berlin but know that there could be considerable complications with tax. Does anyone know the processes that I might need to start to make this happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in a similar situation, director of a UK company, hoping to keep working remotely online for same UK outlet but physically planning to relocate to Germany and possibly buy property there. Wondering also if this is going to enable me to apply for a residence permit. Easy to prove to them I've adequate funds in savings to support myself indefinitely (even without the employment income) . So I'd be very interested to hear any responses you get to this post about living in Germany but still working "in" the UK as well.

Until the Brexit will be official, you can still relocate in any EU country. And probably a little bit after, time to definite formalities for UK citizen wanting to come in EEA (problem will come probably from Uk government on its expats) So, start now your project!!!

There was a thread discussing this topic recently, which you may want to read.
Conclusion: Without a German employer it is complicated, potentially costly - and after Brexit will become more so, or even impossible.

beppi wrote:

There was a thread discussing this topic recently, which you may want to read.
Conclusion: Without a German employer it is complicated, potentially costly - and after Brexit will become more so, or even impossible.

Does that refer to getting a residency permit, that you are saying would become close to impossible?

And would being able to prove completely adequate funds to support yourself for probably the rest of your days, not be considered adequate?  At 62 years old retirement age is pretty close anyway. .  Also , would buying property help?  I'm not talking about citizenship I realise that could probably never be,  I just mean to get a residence permit before the end of the Brexit transition period, when it becomes presumably  (I'm told)  too late..

Will look for the thread you mention. But any other thoughts and comments are useful along the way.  Thanks.

EU citizens do not need a residence permit to live in Germany.
If you are non-EU-citizen, you get a residence permit after moving here with a valid residence visa. Which type of visa do you intend to get (there isn't one for retirees)?
If it is a visa type that des not allow paid work (e.g. student visa), you need to show income (or savings) of about €11k per year of stay.
Please note that residence permits are typically issued for a year in most cases.

To add to the last exchange between the poster and Beppi; No, buying property doesn't help at all. There are some countries where a certain level of investment, even buying property, helps get them a residency permit - not in Germany. On the contrary, some people have contemplated buying property here as an investment  but I find it questionable if one doesn't already have residency. Could then happen that they can't even visit to see their own property.

beppi wrote:

EU citizens do not need a residence permit to live in Germany.
If you are non-EU-citizen, you get a residence permit after moving here with a valid residence visa. Which type of visa do you intend to get (there isn't one for retirees)?
If it is a visa type that des not allow paid work (e.g. student visa), you need to show income (or savings) of about €11k per year of stay.
Please note that residence permits are typically issued for a year in most cases.

This is where things get a bit ambiguous, because I've heard Brits are still to be considered EU members for the remainder of the Brexit transition period (ie till December 31 2020). So to actually have come here in the first place (which will be hopefully very soon) I presumably won't have needed any visa at all and I won't need any residence permit either till  Dec 31st. 

However I've also heard that after that date we then DO have to get a residence permit.  Would that be automatic just by dint of having come here (just in time) and registered an address/ Ammeldung while still having EU rights?  Or would it then be subject to having a job in Germany and all the other residence permit stipulations?   

Ie -would an Anmeldung alone still be adequate after Jan 1st 2021 for a (then) ex EU citizen, but still being a person who WAS an EU citizen when they got the Anmeldung?

You are asking about regulations in a future that, despite not being that far ahead, nobody can yet foresee, as the related treaties with the UK have still not been negotiated..
By default, all non-EU-citizens do need a residence visa - and arriving before such a rule applies to you would not absolve you from it. Anything above that, e.g. treating UK citizens as somewhere half-way between EU- and non-EU-citizen, would be goodwill by the EU. The way the chap currently ruling your country approaches the topic, I personally doubt much goodwill would flow the other way. But the EU is exceptionally tolerant and forgiving, so surprizes could happen (and have happened in the past).

Hi all, I will also be moving to Germany but am trying to keep my current UK job and work from home. The thing I am most confused about is Healthcare. Anyone know how I can live in Germany, working for a UK company and then be covered by Healthcare?
Thank you!

Once you move to Germany, you must join a German health insurance. And as a self-employed person, you must pay the premium from your own pocket, which is between €170 and 750 per month, depending on your (world) income, in the public scheme. The private scheme is usually costlier (unless you are young and very healthy), but offers more choices and better coverage. (Employees get half of the premium from their employer and the other half is automatically deducted from their salary.)

Thank you,  can you, how do you register? Also do you know how I can verify your advice? Is there a government body I can confirm it with? I am worried about settling myself up as self-employed when I am actually employed by a UK company.

You register (within a week after moving tom Germany) at the "Einwohnermeldeamt" or "Bürgeramt", usually located in the nearest town hall. This must be your first step, as no other gouvernment body will entertain your without registered address.
To set up a company or as self-employed, you need to contact the local "Gewerbeamt" and the tax authority ("Finanzamt") - but those will not advice or help you in any way, so it is better to engage a lawyer or business incorporation service provider (especially if you're not fluent in buerocratic German).
As far as I know, you can only be officially employed in Germany by a German-registered company. But you better ask the lawyer about this!