Chile Temporary Residency Visa

Hello,

I am currently in Chile on a tourist visa with my fiancé and mother. Our tourist visas are about to expire, however, I applied for an extension. I applied after the 30 days we were supposed to, about 20 days, will that be a problem with everything going on right now?  We came here with plans to live here permanently. It seems harder than we previously researched. Is it possible to apply for a temporary residency visa while in Chile? If so, how would we do that? My mother would qualify for the retirement visa and has enough to support my fiancé and I. I also have enough money to support myself and my fiancé.  We are willing to look into other visas as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Carissa

Hi Carissa,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please feel free to have a look at the Visas in Chile section, it might help you to find some valuable information.

Hope it helps,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Hi Clarissa,

I would recommend to wait for the extension fo your visitor visa before you make the next step as you are illegal in the country at present.

All visa application have to be sent to Santiago at present. 

If your mum has a good pension she might be accepted as a pensioner. However, she needs to have all documents in English or Spanish  and legalized in the correct form.

You and your partner will not be accepted as dependents from your mum,  as you both are adults and no students any more that need support.

You can only apply within the "rentista" category if you have a permanent source of income for example from renting a house/apartment, dividens, bank interest etc. It is not sufficient if you just have an amount of money in your bank account.

The current immigration law is in the process to be changed. We have already a new law. However, this is more a frame work that needs to be filled with detailed rules and regulations. It is supposed to be complete within the coming year. Once it will be in place people are not allowed anymore to apply within Chile.

Dr. Monika Broecking

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please only share information without promoting services.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct