Want to know

Hi everyone ,
I am a Nigerian,I am planning to visit Taiwan soon and would like to know if I can get an English language teaching job.
Your contributions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Newname

Hello Newname,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to post your job search for free in the jobs in Taiwan section, it might help you.

Maybe you can tell us more about your motivation to work in Taiwan ?  :happy:

Do you have a degree in english language ?

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Thanks  Priscilla,
I have a degree in Economics with thirteen years teaching experience.
Presently I am in Nigeria but would like to come to Taiwan. I have passion for Mandarin and I hope to learn it soon.

I think it wouldn't be a problem teaching in Taiwan, there are English language schools literally everywhere. You could also consider enrolling into a Mandarin course and perhaps teaching in your spare time, at least that might work out in the beginning until you can find your way to getting a full time teaching job.

I received a BACS Scholarship quite a long time ago and chose to study at the Mandarin Training Center at the National Taiwan Normal University. At that time we had a choice of 3 month, 6 month or 12 month scholarships and a location choice of Taiwan or China. But while attending the university almost everyone taught English on the side. I taught at the Political University as well as at a trading company and several individual students from kids to grown ups.

I am not suggesting attending the MTC but it might be a good idea to consider going to Taiwan to study Mandarin and then once you are there start to teach English.

By the way, I had a Degree in Geology and a Post Graduate Diploma in Modern Chinese but no teaching experience at that time and no degrees in English. However, English is my mother tongue.

Hello  Shill88,
I am so grateful for your  contribution,thanks for showing possible ways to go about it.
Remain blessed.

Regards,
Newname75

Just one last point, even though I am a native English speaker, there were students at the university who came from all over the world. There was even an Italian woman who could speak very poor English but still managed to find English teaching jobs. The standard may have changed today but I still think it is worth considering all possibilities to get where you want to be. Good luck.

Good to hear that,but I have read  several articles on the stereotype on blacks when it comes to teaching English.

All I can say is that you don't know if you don't try. ?H?ave to decide if the cost of going and staying there is worth it or not.

According to the Taiwan government, only those with degrees from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa are legally elligible to teach English in Taiwan. However, there are an abundance of illegal schools throughout the nation. They can pay for your services, but they cannot provide a visa. Getting a student visa while studying as suggested above would alleviate that issue. Be warned that the government fluctuates on the frequency with which it enforces illegal activities.

Hello Shill88,
National Changua University of Education restrains their students learning Mandarin  from working part time until after a year of studying,is that true with National Taiwan Normal University or other  Mtcs?

Thanks for your insights. Do I have to study for a year before I  could  get an English teaching job?

I have absolutely no idea. I studied at the MTC a long time ago and certainly rules must have changed. When I was there I taught on the side for extra pocket money but actually I was living with a local family and treated as a family member so didn't pay rent of food or laundry etc and also I received my scholarship money every month. I understand it may be difficult for you. But can I ask why you specifically want to work in Taiwan? Why not consider China, even I do not know the rules there.

As Khalida says, you need to be a native English speaker form one of the 5 or 6 countries that she lists in order to become a proper English teacher. That applies for many other countries too. Certainly in Indonesia where I currently live it applies. You might be better to try other countries with less strict requirements.