Places to meet other expats or friendly locals

Hey guys, bout to be starting a new job in PNG, based in port moresby but could be on sites in remote locations, in construction industry.
Im an Australian, living in Brisbane right now but will be flying out within 2 weeks... does any one know where any aussies congregate or friendly bars or places to meet other expats or friendly locals? night life or anything? or any places to steer clear from?

Hi daneos,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Papua New Guinea forum for better visibility.

I hope you get replies very soon.

Hi daneos,
We haven't made it to Port M yet, however I've been reading the forum quite a lot and have seen some info relating to your query.  Have a look at the post titled 'Port Moresby' by alleycat on 31/05/11 - there is mention by a few people of places to go.
We also live in Brisbane and are currently considering a job in PM.
Good luck.
Anouk

If you're in POM, you'll have plenty of places to gather with other Aussies. No worries as there are lots of expats around to provide a social scene. Most likely your company will help you with an introduction into the expat community. 

If  you end up in really remote locations, you'll be limited to only one or two places.  I'm in Lae (the second largest city) and we pretty much only hang out at the Yacht Club or the bars at the two hotels. 

It's hard to make common statements as POM is VERY different than Lae. I'm not familiar with remote sites, but I've heard some have a nice little community (and much safer than Lae or POM).

I'm in POM and the busiest places to hang out would be the Yachty or Aviat clubs. Some prefer the Weigh Inn (primarily single men).

-K