Too good to be true?

After hours of searching for an apartment to rent for 1 month (most offer only minimum 6 months), came across a decent one today. It is listed online for £26 per night. I made contact with owner and arranged a viewing. After seeing apartment, asked the rental amount for 1 month. SHe says 10 Million vietnam dong. Then I ask if electric and bills are included. She says yes.

I've asked her again, and it's been confirmed that Electric, water, management fee, internet is all included. Actually, everything included except parking.

What do think?..is it too good to be true or a genuine article?

I read the three reviews for the property. Two are excellent. However there is one review commenting on how good the view is, and also about landlord being attentive. Then it says 'everything okay for a 1-3 day short trip' (this is translated from Vietnamese by the way).

What could this possibly mean?...Does it mean, she has stayed 1-3 days and is commenting that 'everything was okay' but wouldn't stay longer or does it mean she has stayed longer but is offering a hint that it is only suitable for 1-3 days?

HenryJo wrote:

After hours of searching for an apartment to rent for 1 month (most offer only minimum 6 months), came across a decent one today. It is listed online for £26 per night. I made contact with owner and arranged a viewing. After seeing apartment, asked the rental amount for 1 month. SHe says 10 Million vietnam dong. Then I ask if electric and bills are included. She says yes.

I've asked her again, and it's been confirmed that Electric, water, management fee, internet is all included. Actually, everything included except parking.

What do think?..is it too good to be true or a genuine article?

I read the three reviews for the property. Two are excellent. However there is one review commenting on how good the view is, and also about landlord being attentive. Then it says 'everything okay for a 1-3 day short trip' (this is translated from Vietnamese by the way).

What could this possibly mean?...Does it mean, she has stayed 1-3 days and is commenting that 'everything was okay' but wouldn't stay longer or does it mean she has stayed longer but is offering a hint that it is only suitable for 1-3 days?

Yes

I monitor the adds on several sites everyday and noticed long term rental rates have gone down recently. There seems to be an oversupply. Places that went for $500 per month a year ago are being advertised at $350-$400.

Yes, this seems to be the case.There are so many condos, residences, hotels, houses, etc. available in Vũng Tàu. It's definitely a renter's market.

Unfortunately, they're still building more. Probably going to be a lot of empty units in a few years.

johnross23 wrote:

Yes, this seems to be the case.There are so many condos, residences, hotels, houses, etc. It's definitely a renter's market.

Unfortunately, they're still building more. Probably going to be a lot of empty units in a few years.

Oversupply, but rental prices are still increasing.

colinoscapee wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Yes, this seems to be the case.There are so many condos, residences, hotels, houses, etc. It's definitely a renter's market.

Oversupply, but rental prices are still increasing.

Commonly true in many countries as a result of unmarried mummies and daddies having children that grow up to be estate agents.

Update: Agreed with owner for 1 night stay as a 'test', then next day I would decide if I stay one month. She agreed and held the room for me.

the one night stay was Pretty horrible. The apartment is DIC phoenix block C (the two bed room apartments). Although it has a stunning view of the sea, its close to the highway. After dark (I didn't hear noise when I viewed property during daytime), you will hear loud motorbikes zooming down the highway, and the horns of trucks/buses. (May be you get used to it after a while..I don't know - wasn't there to find out). I was woken up by a loud motorbike at 5:30am.

The flat was well equipped, with plenty of water, tissues, detergeant for laundry etc. However, the mattress still had the plastic cover on it. They had just put a bedsheet on top. A bit uncomfortable. Maybe to prevent bed-wetting?...who knows.

Anyway, glad I didn't commit. Actually, with the sea view you do get a view of another skyscraper site (Maybe DIC phoenic block D?) which is nearly complete now. So you do hear some construction noise from that. Seems that site is even closer to the highway. Heaven knows why would anyone build luxury apartments so close to a main highway, while being aware there is gonna be noise pollution. Ease of access to highway perhaps?

The reviewer I mentioned was giving a strong signal by saying 'suitable for 1-3 days'. Actually I don't think it's even suitable for 1 day.

p.s. when viewing apartments listen out for aircon unit noise from adjoining apartments. I viewed an apartment in block a or block b. There was an aircon unit in the next apartment you could hear very loud in the bedroom. Lucky it was turned on, otherwise we'd be non the wiser.

HenryJo wrote:

Update: Agreed with owner for 1 night stay as a 'test', then next day I would decide if I stay one month. She agreed and held the room for me.

the one night stay was Pretty horrible. The apartment is DIC phoenix block C (the two bed room apartments). Although it has a stunning view of the sea, its close to the highway. After dark (I didn't hear noise when I viewed property during daytime), you will hear loud motorbikes zooming down the highway, and the horns of trucks/buses. (May be you get used to it after a while..I don't know - wasn't there to find out). I was woken up by a loud motorbike at 5:30am.

The flat was well equipped, with plenty of water, tissues, detergeant for laundry etc. However, the mattress still had the plastic cover on it. They had just put a bedsheet on top. A bit uncomfortable. Maybe to prevent bed-wetting?...who knows.

Anyway, glad I didn't commit. Actually, with the sea view you do get a view of another skyscraper site (Maybe DIC phoenic block D?) which is nearly complete now. So you do hear some construction noise from that. Seems that site is even closer to the highway. Heaven knows why would anyone build luxury apartments so close to a main highway, while being aware there is gonna be noise pollution. Ease of access to highway perhaps?

The reviewer I mentioned was giving a strong signal by saying 'suitable for 1-3 days'. Actually I don't think it's even suitable for 1 day.

p.s. when viewing apartments listen out for aircon unit noise from adjoining apartments. I viewed an apartment in block a or block b. There was an aircon unit in the next apartment you could hear very loud in the bedroom. Lucky it was turned on, otherwise we'd be non the wiser.

If you find Phoenix too noisy, I feel you will struggle living in Vietnam.

I agree, it's very hard to find a place that's quiet, I'm a very light sleeper, ear plugs are my saviour.

colinoscapee wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

.... Although it has a stunning view of the sea, its close to the highway....

If you find Phoenix too noisy, I feel you will struggle living in Vietnam.

I found a really quiet place about 2-3 km from DIC phoenix.

Renting a  apartment without a 'test' night is akin to buying a used car without going for a test drive.

... see all those restaurants across the road that are quiet during the day? At 10:00 pm, they turn into 'karaoke eateries' with off-key singers of plaintive Vietnamese love songs blasted out at 130 dB until 4:00 am.

HenryJo wrote:

If you would commit to rent the place, you could take the plastic off the BRAND NEW MATTRESS!

Get earplugs, and/or close the windows and turn on the A/C and pay a little more for electricity.

Seriously, I'm not reading you saying anything that isn't normal here in any city.

If you are so noise intolerant, you are lucky the next door neighbor didn't die the day before you arrived...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

...Heaven knows why would anyone build luxury apartments so close to a main highway, while being aware there is gonna be noise pollution. Ease of access to highway perhaps?

If you would commit to rent the place, you could take the plastic off the BRAND NEW MATTRESS!

Get earplugs, and/or close the windows and turn on the A/C and pay a little more for electricity.

Seriously, I'm not reading you saying anything that isn't normal here in any city.

If you are so noise intolerant, you are lucky the next door neighbor didn't die the day before you arrived...

plastic cover shouldn't be on even for one night stay.

Get earplugs.

Tried before at other places. Uncomfortable. practical solution when on an airplane. However, long term use can be unsafe :
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325284.php

close the windows and turn on the A/C

All windows were closed. A/C on. Still hear loud motorbikes and truck/bus horns.

Like I said, I've now found a place a few Km away from DIC phoenix and have non of the above issues. So you have to wonder if it's noise intolerance or noise pollution.

Will probably take a chance on a six months rental in Rach Gia city in October. It's not an expat friendly city so choice is very limited and I've been in contact with a Vietnamese lady in Australia whose parents living in Rach Gia are having luxury apartments built (one of them is already on Airbnb). I've seen pictures and know the area, it's a relatively quiet and safe neighbourhood but I'm still crossing fingers as you never know what can happen. It's not cheap at 12M but it's like a mini villa and it has a gate and big garden so I'm still getting a lot for my money. The landlords will be next door so it could be either a blessing or a curse  :lol:

There's an extremely  lovely lady here on the forum who has a contact for a great apartment in Vung Tau (that my favourite other option) but at the end I wanted to be away from expats (nothing personal haha) and tourists, and Rach Gia is like my second home. There's pretty much no one speaking English there and it will force me to improve my Vietnamese, hopefully I won't be lazy about it.

Noise pollution is a nightmare in VN. Have a go for a few nights and see how you like it.

hi.websites to look for apartments in vung tau?thnx

MarcusGold wrote:

hi.websites to look for apartments in vung tau?thnx

Yeahmaybetryfacebook