What is it Like to be an American tourist in Cuba?

What is it Like to be an American tourist right now given our current political relationship? Are there any dangers for American tourists/expats? Is the political unrest palpable? How do Cubans feel towards Americans? And ultimately, is it safe to travel to?

Note: I am aware of travel restrictions and procedures as an American traveling to Cuba.

https://www.viahero.com/travel-to-cuba/is-cuba-safe

Could be worth a read.
A mate popped over there last year (A Brit) - He reported no problems at all but you might a little different as your government is somewhat vocal about quite a lot, including Cuba.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … isory.html

Basically, apart from political stuff of dubious merit, the only real problem is minor theft.

Your biggest danger might well be arrest, not in Cuba but when you return to the US as the your government restrictions on spending money over there might well leave you in trouble or subject to surveillance for a while.

List of Authorised travellers

Politics - A great way to naff up a perfectly harmless holiday

Agree with Fred re: arrest upon return to US. It's really easy to be in compliance, though. Just read through those businesses off limits at this point in history, and avoid. As for the Cuba people, they are wonderful and more than willing to talk with Americans about every topic imaginable. They also need our tourist $ at this juncture. So, your visit would be a win/win for everyone. We were welcomed with open arms and continue to keep in touch with Cuban friends we made on island while visiting. The police there were also very helpful---they tend to protect tourists more then their own population given that tourism is a huge economic engine.

Cuba is an open air museum and not to be missed. It is so much safer than MANY places in the USA---Go and have a great time!

I spent nearly 3 years in Cuba, married for two of them to a Cuban national, and have visited the island for many years before that.  Cuban people have no real issue with us, it's the politics, in particular Donald Trump's politics that they do not like.  If you are a Trump person, you might want to not talk politics, because the average Cuban living in Cuba hates him and thinks he is a dictator. 

My suggestion is to steer clear of talking politics too much, unless you're asking them about how they feel about their own system, and then it can be engaging and interesting to hear what they have to say, it might surprise you.   

Overall, as an American, you'll be welcomed with open arms and hearts filled with curiosity.  The Cuban people are lovely and gracious.
You'll love Cuba, if you need any help: ask me, I can help. ***

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct