Moving to Singapore with Girlfriend - Visa/Work/Housing Questions

Hello All,

Hope you can help me out on this.

Me and my girlfriend are planning to move to Singapore. I am just finishing up my interviews for a role with 9k monthly wages. So i will be applying for EP.

My partner currently doesn't have a role, we were planning to arrive and then start looking for a job. could we possibly get some advice on this? Would this be  a right way to do it?

Also, should worst come to worst - i believe my wage would be sufficient for both of us. would it be?

Should that be the case - what kind of Visa would i need to organise for her?

In regards of housing - i am thinking of booking air-bnb for 2-3 weeks and look for a place. or would it be best to do something else? Hotel/Serviced apartment?

Any other tips would be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Anton

Congrats on your new assignment. I think you have absolutely no idea about Singapore. I would suggest please read through our several threads related to “work” category to understand in a better way.

Let me answer your questions one by one. See below:

1. It's the employer who is going to apply EP (not you).

2. AirBnB is banned in Singapore so you won't get any one week or two weeks rental here. So, the best option is to ask your employer to provide at least a week accommodation (service apartment). If they won't then only solution is to either stay in hotel or hostel or service apartment (which is costly).
Later you can rented a 2 bedroom semi furnished govt apartment (HDB) will cost $2000 or a condo 2 bed rooms unit would cost $2.5k to $3k at least.

3. Yes, for two people $9k is sufficient unless you are partygoers then $9k will be lesser.

4. Your gf can visit here as a normal visitor and can stay for 30 days, can be extended another 30 days (further extension highly unlikely). During her stay, she can search for job but can't work unless she has a valid work pass like you.

In Singapore, ICA or MoM don't recognise gf bf relationship NOR partner or fiancée kind of relationship. It only recognise legally married or any other form where your local authority confirms you are legally partners. So, she can ONLY visit here as a tourist (no other pass is applicable for her).

If you both marry with marriage certificate or got your home country authority letter as you both are legal partners then you can apply for her Dependent Pass (DP). Under DP with Letter of Concent (LoC) she can work here.

Rest of information, you can either read through our various threads here or google it. Good luck

Thanks for your quick response!

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct