Salary for private school staff

Hi,

I am trying to get an idea of the range of salaries for staff members at private schools like the Carol Morgan School, American School of Santo Domingo, the Ashton School, St. George, St. Michaels. I have seen that Carol Morgan School has the highest salaries and one woman said she was paid $35,000 USD annually. I have two masters degrees and have been working as a school psychologist and will have 7 years of experience when I apply. I would take any job to get a foot in he door. So any ideas on monthly or annual salaries at any of these schools or similar private/American schools in Santo Domingo? Thanks!

Not surprised there are cricket chirps as a response here. Searching for this info online has been mostly fruitless. If anybody has heard of salaries by word of mouth, I'd appreciate that information.

My two children will possibly  be attending Carol Morgan school this fall. I don't live far from it. As for teaching salaries,  I would simply say call the individual schools. I have not met many expats here who are teachers.  Most that I've met are retired, or in other industries. But I would think $35,000 USD annually is extremely high for a teacher salary in Santo Domingo. Even at a private international school. And I don't think the low school tuition would support teachers earning that wage.  I know teachers in the United States who barely earn that.
Just my personal thoughts.

It is interesting that you say that Julian, and thanks for your response. I hope your children enjoy their education there!

I am in public school education currently and know the average teaching salary to be almost $60k in the US. So I wouldn't be surprised by the $35K salary estimate for Carol Morgan School. But of course, that is the conundrum that I am in. Fish out of water with these differences.

I think I will take your advice and call ;)

Everyone must adjust their vision of life style when moving here. Unless you have adequate assets, you will find that a much smaller income is iassured.  It costs less to live here, but some things are very costly.  Compromise & give up imported special foods etc. Calculate your needs & decide if you are able to be content with the reality.   You would be amazed to see what you really need to live a contented life here.  Very few people outside of the government earn a million,sevenhundred thousand pesos a year.  Lower your sights & enjoy all that this island & its' people have to offer.  Good luck & welcome to the forum.

That's why I told her to call the school. 35,000 annually for a teacher in the Dominican Republic is extremely high. Definitely can't compare United states salaries to the DR. Her friend might have meant 35,000 pesos a month.  But not 35,000 dollars annually.  I'm an accountant earning an American wage,  so I haven't really checked the local income.

I have been looking more into this, and I think that I found a good thread on DR1.com. This thread is from April and May 2017. So pretty up-to-date info. Just quoted some helpful info below. And here is the link to see the whole thread:

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/16 … g-Salaries

"As far as salaries go, I have a B.A./B.Ed. from a Canadian university, and went with 10 years under my belt. I received offers from several schools that all offered an apartment ($400-$800/month equivalency) and a significant pay range of $17,000 - $38,000 US per year.  Like I said previously, particulars about which schools offered what can be shared via PM...They all offered different perks too, in addition to the apartment.  The best was home flight reimbursement at the beginning and end of the school year.  I've heard of discounts at restaurants, gyms, and grocery stores. Decent health insurance was also included with every offer. "

"My son worked as a teacher in the Ashton School (it is in Santo Domingo not Santiago) up until 2 years ago when he came to work with me in my business. He was earning 52,000 RD a month. This will not get you rich however it is a LOT more than your average Dominican."

"The Ashton School was on par with St. Joseph's and PCIS for salary.  St. Joseph's allowed $600 for an apartment and PCIS provided one.  Others that would be very close would be the MC School and possibly ABC in SD. " (not sure what PCIS is though)

I understand that the pay could be much less with a public school or less experience. Personally, I'd like to start as a counselor or in an administrative position. I am currently a school psychologist and will confer my administration degree next year. So I think having a mix of hopefulness and reality helps, which is why I'm interested in a range of salary.

Regarding calling the school to find out salary, I realized that this might not be a fruitful option. Most job opportunities don't post a concrete salary or even a salary range. I am not certain that someone working there would say any number for salary unless there was an offer on the table. Also, a lot of employees have non-disclosure agreements where they cannot say what their salary is. So below is someone's good idea for finding out a salary if you are willing to pay a fee to be a part of a International Job Search group. I think I will consider this option, and give any updates!

"My info. is mostly from 2015, but I would guess things haven't changed substantially. Carol Morgan was the highest paying school in the DR.  Others with higher salaries would include St. Michaels, St. George, and the International School of Sosua. These schools all offer typical international teaching packages, such as your flight at the beginning and end of the contract, an apartment, and health insurance. Some offer different perks like discounts at the local supermarket or (as mentioned) gym memberships. None of them except Carol Morgan offered a moving or settling in allowance when I had received offers of employment.

For up to date, accurate information, teachers can register with two international recruiting agencies: International School Services and Search Associates.  While memberships are expensive, both provide valuable information from the start including the salary range and the perks offered.  Carol Morgan, Cap Cana, and Sosua are registered with ISS, while Carol Morgan and St. Michaels are registered with Search. Many schools advertise with TIE Online, but salary information is only provided there if the school so chooses. "

Hi!

I actually saw Carol Morgan in ISS. They currently have a few openings for next school year. The annual salary for teachers ranges from $48,000 to $72,000 a year. It also states that they provide housing, insurance, flights, and pay towards your retirement.

What is the tuition for Carol Morgan? Is it the best in Santo Domingo ?

@Scd02004 PCIS = PUNTA CANA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that this thread is quite old.

I suggest you check for more recent threads on the Santo Domingo forum to participate.1f600.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@JulianTorrez Hey Julian, I live in the US and have been teaching for almost 7 years. The starting salary almost everwhere here is roughly $50k as a 1st year teacher and can be even more depending the state. This is for public and charter schools.

Private school teachers here make less typically but will match your pay.

@MsWendy Hey what is ISS?