Retiree Visa

Hello Everyone!

This week I finally obtained permission from the Spain consulate in Miami to travel to Spain. I was issued a 3 month visa, a NIE number (Numero de Identification de Extrangero), on my US Passport. Now, I was told that I have to go ASAP to two different places upon my arrival to Madrid (in order to get my NIE ID card and regular one year Retirado visa).

1) Ajuntamiento in Madrid (City Hall)
2) Immigration office in Madrid

Here is my question to you all. Do you have any idea how to make an electronic appointment for the Immigration office? I was told the lines (cues) are very long and takes up to a month for start getting all your issues resolved.

I will appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you!

Jerry

The town hall has nothing to do with immigration.     

If one is living here then they should sign on the padron at the town hall (it's the list of residents in the town).)

The NIE is just a fiscal ID number. I assume you may mean a TIE (that is a non EU citizen's ID card often referred to as a residencia card).

Hi Jerry, how are you settling in Madrid? Did you stay after the initial 3 months of visa period? Actually I'm not sure why you need a visa for a 3 month stay as I understand citizens of many countries including the US would not need a visa to stay in Spain for up to 90 days.

My other question is, is there a minimum age for applying for a retiree visa? Some people retire early... I've done some research but haven't seen this point being mentioned.

Thank you.

Yes I'd like to know what became of Jerry too! You have I believe a set amount of time on arrival (3 months?) to get everything in order. A bank account. Banco Sabadell allows you to use your passport number until you have your NIE number. Then rent an apartment. Then get a Padron, which is proof of address. Look up Empadronamiento in Madrid to make an appointment online. It's called a cita Previa. Google cita Previa Empadronamiento Madrid. For the Empadronamiento you can go to any office in Madrid so choose one that can give you a timely date.  Then make an appointment (another cita previa) for getting the tie card . Info is here:
https://www.citylifemadrid.com/applying … in-madrid/
For a non lucrative visa use form EX 01. more info below
http://frugalvagabond.com/get-non-lucra … isa-spain/

Hi Vonster. Some of the answers to your questions are in my reply to original writer. You can retire at any age....but you must have sufficient income to live there. You'll have to check with spanish consulate that covers your region to find out out what that amount is.
I too was confused by the 3 month visa when I got it but what it actually means is that you have 3 months from the day you arrive to get your TIE card.
Also. You must apply for the visa while still in USA. Ask for your NIE number and it will be on the visa. There is a Facebook group: American Expats in Spain! That will help you with all ALLLLL, the paperwork. It's worth it!

quote      I too was confused by the 3 month visa when I got it but what it actually means is that you have 3 months from the day you arrive to get your TIE card. 

I believe that is one must apply within three months.   It maybe that it is in the pipeline and that the visa may have/will have expire but that does not matter.

Hi everyone,
If I may be permitted to sidetrack the topic slightly.  In the case of retirees like myself who are applying for intermediate residency [my term] i.e. longer than 3 months but less than 183 days how long should the rental contract be for for application for the Certifico de Residente? Or is the rental contract evidence dealt with at the Estdistica de Padron application. I was give to believe a rental contract for 4 months was sufficient, I am now told 6 months.

Or please advise where a short cut to this info is on the forum(s) as I imagine it has come up quite a lot.

Many thanks...

There is no requirement to own a property nor have a rental contract in order to apply for EU Citizen Registration

Government info.  Requirements :-
Sufficient income
Full medical cover
The application form
The receipt showing payment of the fee
Original valid passport and a copy

Re the padrón
                                Only residents in a town can legally register on the padron.  Until one has resident status they are not legally resident.

With this visa you are not supposed to take a job in Spain. But can you do an Air BnB (licensed) which will generate passive income?