Third day as an expat from the North East USA

Hi everyone!  My husband and I recently relocated from New Jersey to Aguada PR.  We would love to meet other expats living in the Porta del Sol area of PR.  We are just getting settled and are ecstatic to finally be living our dream life in PR!!

Hi and welcome on Expat.com delilahsimpson :)

Maybe you should have a look at the American expatriates in Puerto Rico network to meet other members who can help you settle ;)

Regards
Armand

Thank you Armand! I have reached out to a few people through the network and have gotten some help already.  I hope this site continues to help me meet others who have gone through the experience of moving from the states to PR.

Looking forward to hearing any and all tips.  LOVE PR!

~D

Welcome!!!

Thank you!  You guys have all been great! :D Keep the info coming!!

Hey I'm considering making a move to Aguadilla, but had some concerns in regards to changing over documents. I know that after you are there a certain amount of time you are supposed to take out your license from there. My q is, can I keep my FLA license? I have a friend who has a license from there and it's laminated(expires in 2014). Do they still do that over there? My concern is that if I'm in the states for whatever reason they won't want to take it, being that I don't know of any state that still does that. I don't want to go through a hassle as I will be going back and forth and with all the scrutiny over PR info I don't want to run into any problem!! Let me know how you've weathered your move and changing over your license over there... Thanks!

Newer driving licenses are not laminated. I renewed mine in 2009 and it is a standard plastic card with a bar code on the back.

You might get some more info at the following website:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h … cn_id%3D97

If you're from Florida you won't need to take the driving test if your current license hasn't expired.

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

Hi, my husband and I are young(ish) retirees but both writers working at our craft. Spending our first winter here, in Isla Verde, San Juan area. Next fall however we want to find a small town with other expats, nice neighbors and attractive environment. How did you choose your location.? Do you like it there? Any suggestions. Thanks, Cynthia