Adapting to the climate in Argentina

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Argentina is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Argentina?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Argentina?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

The interesting thing about the climate in Argentina is that it's the complete opposite of the seasons back home. Basically it's fall and winter when it's spring and summer in the States and vice versa. I think one of the biggest issues for me is having to cook such a large meal during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve with the oven on all day when it's a scorching summer day. I'm just used to it being cold during those holidays.

I've been in Argentina for four years now and I still say it's fall during September and summer in the middle of July.

The winters here are very humid, which makes it tough when you have to close everything up and turn on the heater. Houses tend to get very moldy during the cold climate. That's a bit of a bummer for me. As far as adapting to the changes ... I can't say that I have. Haha!

Remember...the seasons in the USA are opposite in Buenos Aires.
If you are on a budget, bring a good winter coat, preferably one that's waterproof.
Clothing and electronics cost 2-3 times more than in the USA

If it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit.... if it's windy it feels like 30 because of the high humidity.
If you have a large budget, you might want to invest in a nice leather coat or jacket.
Last year, my cousin bought a jacket and long coat, both leather, and custom made for around $450-500 USD.
Most shops will custom tailor leather coats in 1 to 2 days and the quality is very high.