Rural Expats?

Anyone else living in a rural area? I feel like my expat experience is night and day to those living in the capital cities and would just like to know I'm not alone!

Hi Emseedubya-
I'm currently living in Little Rock, AR but will be moving to Townsville, QLD in August for my wife's work.  I've spent some time in DFW, and so I have some idea where you're coming from, but Little Rock is no where near as large.  I was wondering if there was anything she and I should do to prepare for our trip?  I'm sure there will be culture shock, but is there anything specifically we need to what out for?
Thanks,
Jesse

Townsville is actually fairly large by Australian standards. It's about halfway between Cairns and Mackay, about a 4 hr drive either way. That's one thing I had to get used to is everything being so far apart. That said, locally Townsville is considered a major city and has all the modern conveniences you could possibly want. It's actually been chosen as the next major city in Qld to develop as a capital city like Brisbane, so I would just expect a lot of development to go on during your time there. Be sure to pronounce it "Townsvull" and you'll be off to a good start. ;)

This is the best website I've ever read on Aussie social rules, it's funny because it's true:

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/socialrules.htm

It's pretty much hit the nail on the head. Culture-wise, if you want to fit in, don't call anyone sir or ma'am or expect it from anyone else. If someone you just met is making fun of you, it's only because they like you. Self-deprication is just a part of the culture so, rather than retaliate by making fun of them, have a witty way to make fun of yourself further and you're in. It's weird but true.

Y'all really won't be in much of a rural area at all (population of about 200k vs. my town's population of 10k,) so I wouldn't be too worried.

Em-
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I took a look at the link you provided, and I'm sure it will be helpful.  Are you working in AU?  My wife already has a Job, but I'm wondering whether or not I can find work.  Well, I hope you enjoy the rest of the week!
Jesse

Hi! I was only just approved for work in March but, because I live in such a rural area, it's proven very difficult for me to find work. :/ Hopefully that will look up soon!

Townsville should have heaps of job opps though, especially if you have a degree (not something everyone has here.) You shouldn't have too many problems depending on the line of work you're in. http://careerone.com.au would definitely be worth checking out. Good luck!

Mel

Hi BOBBY G! Please avoid using your caps lock on the forum. thank you. :)