Moving To Haugesund!

Hey All
Im Will and im moving to Haugesund this July! Anyone near by? it would be nice to make friends and get advice about work etc.
Thanks ! :)
Will

Hello,

I lived in Haugesund for 4 years, but left in February. My next question will be one which you will be asked a lot: why Haugesund?

David

Hey my girlfriend lives there! I am a fitness trainer in a Gym and she was over here as an exchange student. We met and have been together since, like 1.5 years now :) We have had enough of long distance travelling, although it is cheap to haugesund, thankyou ryanair! :P I like to travel alot and have wanted to move abroad anyway and this seemed like a great oportunity to do it. I have an apartment set up, i know the landlady indirectly through my girlfriends family. I have learn basic Norsk but i need to move there to become fluent , or pay 50 quid an hour in london for a tutor :P
As a personal trainer , i also looking for people in haugesund to  give training sessions to in exchange for language tutoring!
oh and i like the area and the language :) And the women of course :P
Will

It will help to have a girlfriend. I moved there my myself which makes things a little more complicated. I think it's a great place. It was too small for me in the end, which is why I left, but I still go back from time to time.

I wonder if you have been learning the Haugesund dialect? It's quite different from written Bokmål. I think it's actually easier for English speakers and a much nicer dialect than the others in Norway. I suppose that's a matter of opinion though. I suppose you will go to language classes at Breidablikk, which is where I went.

Best of luck with the move,

David

Yea that has been confusing :P i started learning oslo dialect as the courses online are mostly in that, but from my girlfriend and friends out there i have picked up some of the haugesund dialect and i just have to try and mix it in with the rest :P
What and where is Breidablikk?

We also started learning the Oslo dialect, but it is nothing like the Haugesund dialect. People won't change how they talk when they speak to you just because you are foreign. I think they also appreciate if you speak their dialect. I think it's better anyway. Although now that I live in Oslo I think people sometimes wonder why I'm speaking with a Haugesund dialect. I suppose they don't expect it. Is your girlfriend writing Bokmål or Nynorsk? That could be another decision. I learned Bokmål, because almsot everyone is using that, but I would actually like to learn to write Nynorsk as well. I think it's nice.

Breidablikk is a school run by the municipality. It's in the city (and make sure you always refer to Haugesund as a city and not a town) centre. As well as being a regular school, they offer language courses. I think you can go full-time during the day. I did evening classes there, which ran once a week. I think the class was about 2 and a half hours. I think that helped a lot. I didn't like the feeling of going back to school though.

Yea i would really like to do that. Do you know how much it costs?
She knows bokmal but maby abit of nynorsk. What did you do for work out there and what do you do now?

I can't remember how much it cost. I think it was a few hundred pounds per semester. I could be wrong though. If you marry a Norwegian, I think it's free, so there's an incentive for you!

I came to Haugesund after I was asked to apply for a PhD scholarship at the University College there. After that, I worked there as an associate professor, and now I'm working at the University of Oslo as a postdoctoral fellow. Technically I still have my job in Haugesund, but I have a year's leave. I'm also going back there in August to do some teaching.

My apartment i had lined up has just been given to someone else, which sucks! So i need to find a new flat to rent. What is the best way / website to find rental apartments etc in haugesund??
WT

That's terrible. Not a very nice thing to do. You should go to finn.no. They list all sorts of stuff for sale and rent across the country. It's only in Norwegian though. You can try this link:

http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … eaId=20197

It should show you properties for rent in Haugesund.

Thanks! I think it was because the rent was a big part of this persons income and as i will be looking for work when i get out there, although i have some interviews lined up etc, she didnt want to risk me not paying rent or something, although i have enough money for deposit and 3 months rent! im dissapoined but oh well!

Hello Will,

I will going to Haugesund on 30 september 2012 for a job there. hopefully we can chat or if it's possible you can help me to get some information there.

regards,
Ivan S. Chandra
Student in France

Hi there, yea it would be good to chat! I should be there from 1st August! Do you know anyone there ? What job is it you have? And do you speak norwegian? You can add me on facebook if u want, let me know ;)

Hello Will, I don't speak at all Norwegian language except hvordan har du det and tak :D

Only the HR of my company, the camp supervisor and some of my recruiters. I will work as an Engineer there.

what is your FB account? mine is Ivan Stevanus Chandra. Right now I'm still in Paris. on 30 September, I'll be at Haugesund.

do you have Blackberry? there is a chat community that you can add just like yahoo messenger.

Thank you,
Ivan

Will Jax Tapsfield ;)

i am ih haugˇe

Hey Will! I've just moved to Haugesund - Similar story to you in that I moved here to be with my wife. When I met her she was living in Oslo and after 9 months she moved to the UK so we could be together now we're 5 and a half years down the line and we're wanting to give Norway a shot! Are you still living here? How did you find settling in?

We moved here on the 20th Jan 2014 and have just about got settled in our new home, my missus found work quickly and I'm on the lookout for something myself although I'm not sure how easy it'll be for me with such a limited grasp of the language still... I'm determined to learn it now that I'm here (never really managed to apply myself to those 'learn Norwegian' self help CDs...) How have you got on so far since moving here?

I've no social network here other than my wife and 19 month old little girl so it'd be good to meet a local from back home (as it were) who's going/gone through a similar move so if you like, hook me up on Facebook - search for Benjamin James Utseth Perdue and you should find me :)

Cheers dude!

Hello Benjinoiserepublic,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for the detailed introduction.

However, please note that you posted on an old thread.

To obtain more answers it would be best if you could create a new discussion on the Norway forum.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team