Volunteers needed - YMCA homeless

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm a believer of if you don't ask you don't get.

I am working for the YMCA homeless and we are always on the lookout for volunteers for various projects. 

I personally am particularly interested in any teachers who may be willing to give up an hour a week to help kids who have fallen behind at school to catch up.

YMCA ethos is to help people help themselves and helping the kids achieve a good education is one of those ways.

There are also many other ways you can help so if you have some spare time please PM me and let me know.

I will also be organising some fundraising events and if you think you may be interested please let me know also.

MODERATORS:  would it be ok for me to announce up and coming fundraising events on the forum please or would it count as advertising? 

Many thanks everybody and Happy Christmas

Jules
x:D

Hi Jules,
I'm hoping to relocate to Malta in Jan/Feb 2012.
I will be working as a Recruiter mainly & also as a Fitness Instructor.
I'm happy to help out in any way at the YMCA.
I shall be looking for rental accomodation as well!
What's it like living in Malta?

Rob.

Hi Jules!

As for the event i would suggest you to post in Malta classifieds under Community> Events.

Thanks and regards
Armand

i would like to help after coming back from uk to malta,please send me more details by e-mail b.elshrief@hotmail.com
thanks

Hi Jules,  not much use on the volunteering front, but if you have a need for 2nd hand kids toys and 2nd hand young children's clothing, please let me know.
It seems really hard to donate stuff in Malta :-)

klstorme wrote:

have you tried the animal sanctuaries - Malta SPCA, Gozo SPCA, AAA, Noahs Ark - they all take items

and also the SASG Stray Animals Suppport Group they have a website and a facebook page.

sorry, yes SASG as well  - a very worthy animal welfare organisation

can also add Happy Paws

basically you will find one in most parts of the islands to offer any items to

SASG "CHARITY SHOPS FOR SASG :
.......In April 2010 we opened our third charity shop which is situated in Nicolo Isouard Street, Mosta"

we usually take all our unwanted stiff to them - and we adopted a kitten in may this year.....

Thanks so much toonarmy9752 and georgeingozo - I will get in touch with them all in the new year. Wishing you all the best for 2012

klstorme wrote:

Hi Jules,  not much use on the volunteering front, but if you have a need for 2nd hand kids toys and 2nd hand young children's clothing, please let me know.

Hi,  Sorry for the delay in replying.  Its a busy time of year for us, and for others sadly.  Had a young mother with three small kids turn up two days ago suddenly homeless.

Any donations you have would be gratefully received.  The case I mentioned above, all they have is the clothes they were standing in so your bits sound perfect.

Anything can be dropped in to us in Valletta at 178 Merchant Street (just past the market).  If you can't get it to Valletta let me know and I'll try to arrange for somebody to pick it up in Mosta, although, as mentioned, we are desperate for volunteers.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Jules
x

Hi Jules.  Would tomorrow be good?  How old are the kids? Boys or girls?

Hiya,

Sorry but we can only take the delivery on weekdays, we only open for the clients on weekends.  Is that ok?

My kids are one of each, both teens.xx

Jules
x

No problem at all.  I will pass by next week.

That Brill,  thanks loads.

I will be there most afternoons.
x
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Just wanted to say thanks klstorme for the donations.  They are very much appreciated.

Keep in touch.

Jules
x

You are so welcome and I'm glad to help :) I have loads more stuff, so as soon as I get a chance to sort through it, I will come by again.

Kerry

Hiya,
I canŽt be much help on the volunteering front at the mo although when my daughter starts nursery I will contact you. What sort of donations do you need, clothes etc??? IŽm wondering with the mums and toddler group that we now have set up maybe some of the mums may have some bits they would like to donate?? x

Hi

I came here in February with my partner , but our relationship has broken down and now I have nowhere to live with my 4 children, I am going over to the UK for Christmas as that was already booked but I do not want to disrupt my children's lives any more than they have been already by making them go to another country and leave there schools here, I do not know where to turn when i get back, I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me regarding the possibility of housing and benefits etc as I do not have any income whatsoever.

I am desperate and alone and don't know where to turn please help.

Hi pindababe,

I'm sorry that you have major problems.With the few details you give about your social standing I would suggest you look at the country that will give you the best support in your situation. That might not be Malta as we foreigners are usually only welcome and entitled to things as long as we can support ourselves.

If you want to return to Malta without income you should turn to the local council where you have been living to see if there is any support available.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

I am sorry I have only just seen your message, I am sorry you are in this situation but if you contact YMCA in Merchant Street, Valletta they will do their best to help you.

Speak to Therese, she is kind and understanding and will let you know what can be done to help you.

All the best for you.

Jules
x