Spending few months in Costa Rica

We Re Canadian couple looking to spend Canadian winter in Costa Rica will buy from local and cook at home looking for safe not expensive area to rent walking distance to beach and market.been to Dominican Republic it was okay for our budget

Need more information please

Thanks

@freeperson.....Do not compare Costa Rica to the Dominican Republic !! It is two different worlds....You two are already screwed with the belief to buy from Costarricenses.What is guaranteed just about all these properties will have some serious legal glitches,along with the constraints.....Heads up !

Hi can you please explain

You two are already screwed with the belief to buy from Costarricenses

@freeperson..Costa Rica at the beach,not for the budget minded..No joke !

@freeperson

I think you can do it; but it'll require some 'on the ground' legwork... as well as a trusty Tico to help with the language barrier... if you don't have any Spanish under your belt.

Renting near the beach will be expensive... unless you go a little further away from the beach and live amongst the Ticos... who, most likely, work at the beach.  The rental will not come with appliances ... and may need some paint; a roof patch, window coverings, etc., as well as doing your own garden work (cut grass, trim hedges).  Shopping for groceries can be pricey as well... maybe 'observe' where the Ticos buy their produce; etc.  It's all part of the Adventure.   Know this... if it is 'obvious' when you inquire, especially on-line, or via WhatsApp texts; that you are from North America, i.e. Gringo.... your prices will go up regarding rentals; etc.  Even the options will change... nobody is going to offer you an OK cottage in an inland village for $200/month.   They'll assume you want fully furnished, all appliances, no lawn care responsibilities, security, etc.   That puts you in higher 'rent' bracket immediately.  And the 'location' will most likely put you 'away' from the lesser priced produce and meat markets, etc., where the Ticos shop.  i know you are looking for 'beach' but there is way way more to living or staying in the magic of Tropical Costa Rica than the coastal areas... my guess is that 60-70% of expats live inland; not 10 minutes 'to' the beach... but 2-4 hours 'from' the beaches... where it is cooler (imagine no AC) and greener and full of rivers and mountains and farms (cheaper food) and rain/cloud forests; water falls, natural thermal 'hot' waters to sit in, and a more authentic culture, perhaps.  I almost never go to the beach... 3x in over 5 years... but I swim in a local river where the water is clean and refreshingly cool regularly.

Good luck.  Pura Vida