Airline Not Responsible For Lost Luggage

Azul airlines has informed me that they are not responsible for luggage on my recent international flight to Brazil. After much conversation my wife has told me that I would have to go to the airport in Belem (Customs) (round trip) and recover them in person. Is this the only way?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

04/25/24    Azul airlines has informed me that they are not responsible for luggage on my recent international flight to Brazil. After much conversation my wife has told me that I would have to go to the airport in Belem (Customs) (round trip) and recover them in person. Is this the only way?
Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Sounds like things are finally moving  - great!

On the luggage, I feel like I walked in at the middle of the movie - again!  1f602.svg What is your luggage doing in Belém?  Was it inbound or outbound?  Is it really stuck in the Customs area?  And where are YOU?

@abthree INBOUND. I AM HOME!

The flight last week was DULLES (UNITED) to FORT LAUDEERDALE (AZUL) to BELEM (AZUL) to FORTALEZA (AZUL) It was when the plane went from Fort Lauderdale to Belem, that I tried to pick it up and they announced that they it was lost.  Through the early process I stressed that customs is usually involved when we cross countries. I was told not to sorry about it and that that someone would get my attention if there was a problem. Unfortunately, i was wheelchair assisted because of mobility issues and somewhat reliant ton them, and could not run to the office etc.

Unfortunately, it was not until later that I realized AZUL could not be trusted. In the beginning they took notes, made phone calls and told me that it would be delivered the next day to an address in Fortaleza. They spoke several times with my wife on details.

I even had a very long layover of 6 or 7 hours. Before we boarded the next plane, I asked to be taken back to BELEM baggage claim to be sure everything was proceeding. They told me it was not necessary,  and rushed me to board the plane to Fortaleza.

Only upon getting home did I find out that we were at ground zero and almost had to start over again.

My wife told me this morning that after a good day of conversation with two Azul Agents that the luggage was with CUSTOMS / FEDERAL POLICE and that to get it back we would literally have to go get it in Belem. 

The Authorities have not answered or returned our call.

Roddie in Retirment1f575.svg

Hi,  Roddie,

New rules in the US about lost airline luggage this week. Relevant to you?

The airlines have lost my luggage a few times and delivered my luggage a few days or weeks later.

Good luck!

04/25/24 @roddiesho.  First of all, WELCOME HOME! 🥳What an adventure.  Secondly, sorry to hear about the mobility issues.  I hope that they're just temporary.

Finally, yeah, it sounds like Azul dropped the ball.  Given your mobility issues, someone should have brought you back to the Customs area as soon as your baggage was found so that you could clear it and recheck it for Fortaleza.

You had talked about bringing your studio equipment back with you when you came.  Is that what is there, or is it just suitcases and such?

My only suggestion would be to try to convince Azul to have your things transferred from the Customs area of the Belém Airport to the Customs area of the Fortaleza Airport, since someone at Azul knew that you were in the terminal on a long layover, and if they had come to get you and bring you back to Customs, this situation wouldn't exist.  You'll have to be nice about it and it will still probably cost you some money, but, especially given your limited mobility, they should never have lost track of you. 

I realize that Fortaleza is still a trek for you, but it's a lot better than Belém.  And if your equipment is part of it, there will probably be some Customs issues that need to be resolved in person.

@alan279, @abthree Thanx Very Much for the Support. As far as what was actually in the bags., My very cautious self-put ALL the Brazilian Consulate info in my laptop case which I NEVER leave out of my sight. So, Clothes, my YouTube Equipment. - Lighting-Cameras etc. and Props.

The interesting thing is that when I was a kid and first started to go to Brazil decades ago, I remember I had to fill out a paper form on what I had (on the plane)

I also had an experience when one of my handcrafted puppets (looks just like me) was sent from ETSY to Brazil and was held in customs in RIO - No where near me for at least a month. Customs eventually sent it back to the sender in America. That was also something I had in the bag, so I am sure Senhor Cabeza Grande is traumatized by now.

Just before I got your posts, I was using a source called "Answer..." that promised to solve my issue for $5. I was desperate, but fortunately my PayPal alerted me that they were trying to get $55.

In the end my wife said there was communication with customs, and it seemed kind of solved.

alan279. I heard about the new rules as well from my favorite travel YouTuber, unfortunately that does not come into effect until Thanksgiving.

ONE MORE RULE: Cross the border Canada / U.S. to Brazil only on a Premium Airline - American / United etc.  Only an experienced carrier will appreciate or prepare for the customs switch etc.

The airlines have lost my luggage a few times and delivered my luggage a few days or weeks later.
Good luck!

-@alan279

In Brazil? My suit got lost once, and I had to go back to the airport (in Salvador) to retrieve it. I dont think that i could have asked to get it delivered.

04/25/24        The airlines have lost my luggage a few times and delivered my luggage a few days or weeks later.Good luck!        -@alan279

In Brazil? My suit got lost once, and I had to go back to the airport (in Salvador) to retrieve it. I dont think that i could have asked to get it delivered.

-@Kurterino

I've had lost luggage delivered after domestic flights, but never after international flights.  My experience is that luggage always has to pass through Customs at the first port of entry, and has to be accompanied by the owner.

My luggage was lost on a Miami to Rio flight. It was delivered to my airport (IOS) a few days later.

@abthree@alan279 Well someone has to be the first to step in the mud. I am very pleased to say that my fantastic wife had my luggage delivered to the living room at my the house in Parazinho @2am last night. (I paid for some of our delivery contractors to bring it from Fortaleza to Parazinho. The customs people brought it to Fortaleza. Thanx to my wonderful family I just had to put on my slippers to check my luggage. Thanx EXPAT.COM for your support.

04/27/24    @abthree@alan279 Well someone has to be the first to step in the mud. I am very pleased to say that my fantastic wife had my luggage delivered to the living room at my the house in Parazinho @2am last night. (I paid for some of our delivery contractors to bring it from Fortaleza to Parazinho. The customs people brought it to Fortaleza. Thanx to my wonderful family I just had to put on my slippers to check my luggage. Thanx EXPAT.COM for your support.

FANTASTIC! 🥳 You're almost there.  NOW please get to the PF as soon as you can and take care of the final step.  Good luck!

@abthree Our appointment is May 3rd.

Honestly, l never thought you would never  see that luggage again. I assumed it was stolen. So glad l was wrong and you were able to recover it.

@roddiesho, totally missed this thread this week.  Congratulations on making it through all the travel ups and downs and that you are finally re-united with luggage and loved ones.... Great ending to your book.  Please publish...

My baggage lesson learnt last week is that Latam and Delta - although airline partners - do not work well together.  I flew Latam from REC to GRU.  Did not need to do so but I checked in my luggage with Latam at REC to the final destination.  Upon reaching GRU, I learnt that Latam did not communicate my check-in status with Latam to Delta and I was stuck at GRU.

Contacted Delta to reschedule me on the next flight out and asked to make sure that my lugguage followed me.  Delta assured me that this would be done.

Upon arriving at ATL from GRU, needed to take out the luggage to customs and learnt that one piece was missing.... by waiting until all the lugguage was offloaded.  Even Delta did not know where it was.....  Was told to go to final destination and then file a lost luggage claim.

At final destination, filed a claim and then learnt that it never left GRU.  2 days later, the lugguage was delivered.

Bought 2 days worth of essential clothing and as part of the lost luggage complaint, claimed those expenses and the 2500 miles of delayed luggage - and that was the end of it.

Next time - need to be more careful not to trust LATAM and Delta - and bring all carry on - even if it means to lug those through the weird GRU airport maze.

04/28/24  @Pablo888 We had problems with communications breaking down in that LATAM/Delta "partnership" the last time we went to the US, too.  It shouldn't be, but double-and triple-checking them on everything sure is a good idea.

@KenAquarius Thanx, I may have mentioned that besides the VISA, what I really wanted to bring back was my YOU TUBE equipment. One of my Prize Props is three puppets. Marcus, Miguel and the host, Senhor Cabesa Grande. He is a very large puppet in my image. He was stuck in Rio Customs for over a month last year. (I am nowhere near Rio) and now in Belem Customs for about two weeks.  He is a very TRAUMATIZED Puppet.

@Pablo888 No Problem, I seem to have an adventure every week.  As far as DELTA/LATAM thet get a hard pass from me because on my Miami adventure where customs made me miss my plane, they re-booked my flight for the next day and put me up in a hotel with dinner, breakfast and lunch vouchers and paid transportation back and forth to the airport.

It does sound like no matter what airline or airline combination you have AVOID Checking Bags. It sounds like a Bad Adventure all around.

04/28/24 It does sound like no matter what airline or airline combination you have AVOID Checking Bags. It sounds like a Bad Adventure all around.

I'll generally check because I don't want to deal with the variable limits on liquids, aerosols, razors, and so on with carry-on.  Also, I never want to be "That Guy":  the one who hogs all the overhead space, tries to shove luggage in that clearly is too big, and generally makes an ass of himself,  boarding and deplaning.

Honestly, my checked baggage has very seldom gone astray.  But I still always have some extra underwear in the bottom of my carry-on -- just in case.

I have traveled a million miles with just my carryon bag. Your mileage may vary.  😀

@roddiesho Please post links to your puppet videos when you can.

Thanks.

Alan

@alan279 Will Do! It will be a Learning English Channel....with a twist.

@abthree the key word is ALMOST. Apparently, the Federal Police would like an appointment with my daughter, SUMMER, when she comes to Brazil in December. My Permanant Residency Visa will not be official until then.

@roddiesho

Congratulations!!  Almost... Meus deus... The never-ending story Roddie...1f600.svg

@MA22 Thanx! Livni to another Day!