Why So Difficult For Us To Get A Home Loan In Malaysia?

Ok, so we are in the process of purchasing our wonderful seaside condo in Penang and would like to leverage our money by getting a loan for the purchase.  OMG, why the difficulty and scrutiny by the Malaysian banks?

My wife and I are still working for now (but we have our MM2H) and we have excellent credit scores.  She has a credit score of 800 and I have a score of 836 (out of a total 850 score).  We earn easily over 1 million ringgits equivalent here in the US.  Yes, we are RE heavy in the US but we have plenty of equity built up overall.  Our loans on our homes in the US are either very low in balance and almost paid off or at most 30% of the market values.  Let's not even mention what cash reserves we have and 401/stock accounts.

The place we are buying is about 1.3 million ringgits.  I am in the process of paying the 10% down and yes I fully expect to only get say a minimum 50% of the loan amount remaining since that is what they were telling me.  Some leverage to me is better than none.... or so I thought before I started applying around.

One bank already said no to me.  What???  Granted gross, what we make in a year practically pays for the darn place, people!!!!!

One bank has the nerve to ask for our company offer letters????  What???  That is over 20 years ago!!!!!  What does that honestly do for you/us now???

We are by no means even close to the most affluent folks out there, but surely a loan of say $100-$200K US should be a cakewalk, no?

I suspect it is because we are foreigners, but we are buying a freehold condo that meets the MM2H minimum guidelines.  Sure, we could in theory walk away but if at 50% why the concern?  And besides, we have our MM2H there.  We ain't leaving...

Any local Malaysian bankers or folks who have experience with this?  I would love to hear what you have to say   My US mortgage broker is laughing that we are not qualifying.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, there could be few reasons why you are in the current state.

1. The banker that handle your loan may be inexperience in handling your case. you may get in touch with more bankers and compare their service. Example in regard of requesting offer letter from the company. This request could be replace with your company drafting a new letter stating your work history and information needed by the bank.
  2. Different banks have different policy and appetite in regard to foreigner loan. Some banks have lower margin or already used up their allowance quota. This is even more so if the bank you applied your loan with is a foreign bank, the margin most probably will be lower than local bank.
  3. If you have assets that is debt free (example like trust deed, cash deposit, property fully paid, insurance policy), you can utilize it to negotiate with the bank to secure your loan.

Hope this help. 1f603.svg

Is the property under construction? Or secondary market? If it's under construction house, just ask agent to introduce u to panel banks. If it's secondary then check with few bank valuators, may be the price is more than market value.

I am an outsourced loan advisor residing in Penang. My opinion is that if you have a cousin or relative staying in Malaysia, you can use their name to apply for the loan, and the settlement can be arranged between both of you. I hope this message can help you. For any further inquiries, feel free to message me.

@JasonLee_WMC

Hi Jason.  Frankly, I have been put through the ringer over a very small loan in my opinion.  Yes, I get it that I am a foreigner but at the same time what we earn in one year practically equals the condo cost!!!!!  My credit is nearly perfect!!!!  I honestly don't see how you say I can use a relative there.  Every single amount is scrutinized as to where did so and somoney come from.  Some bank actually asked me for our offer letters.  Uh, honey, that was over 20 years ago and what does an offer letter really do for us or you 20 years later????  Unbelievable....

I understand your situation, and I also recognize that your credit scoring is good. However, the reason the bank requires your offer letter is to assess your employment status in the United States and consider issues of job stability, among other things. Banks tend to be cautious in this regard. When I suggested that your family in Penang could help you apply for the loan, it's because if their employment and income situation is stable in various aspects, they might have an easier time getting approved. Additionally, negotiating with you and your family about money matters might be easier (this is a somewhat tricky approach).

Again, what does an offer letter from over 20+ years say about anything today?   Nothing.  All your stupid banks need to see is that I have enough CASH in in either liquid form or 401k or stocks that easily would cover the cost of the condo itself if it comes to that.  No wonder your country is not doing so well.  You guys worry about the wrong people.

Again, what does an offer letter from over 20+ years say about anything today?   Nothing.  All your stupid banks need to see is that I have enough CASH in in either liquid form or 401k or stocks that easily would cover the cost of the condo itself if it comes to that.  No wonder your country is not doing so well.  You guys worry about the wrong people.

-@VWC

Loans are expensive. If you have the cash, just use that. It's cheaper and less stressful.

Is the house actually worth what you intend to pay, or did the seller see an inexperienced foreigner with a foreign idea of prices coming?

Finally, if Malaysian banks are stupid, get the loan from a US bank.

Again, what does an offer letter from over 20+ years say about anything today?   Nothing.  All your stupid banks need to see is that I have enough CASH in in either liquid form or 401k or stocks that easily would cover the cost of the condo itself if it comes to that.  No wonder your country is not doing so well.  You guys worry about the wrong people.        -@VWC

Loans are expensive. If you have the cash, just use that. It's cheaper and less stressful.
Is the house actually worth what you intend to pay, or did the seller see an inexperienced foreigner with a foreign idea of prices coming?
Finally, if Malaysian banks are stupid, get the loan from a US bank.

-@Fred  Well, the loan serves as a risk reducer to me since in theory I could walk from the condo and the country if something major happens.  My money also can earn more than what the Malaysian lenders quoted me (around 4%?).  I was able to negotiate down the price of the condo to what I feel is fair.  This is my retirement home now, so any enjoyment I get from it is all I want really so it is priceless to me.  No, can't get a US loan for a foreign property and why when interest rates are high anyway?

No, can't get a US loan for a foreign property and why when interest rates are high anyway?

-@VWC

Does that mean US banks are stupid in the way you say Malaysian banks are because you can't get a loan?

Many Malaysians, quite rightly, take exception to foreigners insulting their country.  Perhaps a little thought before posting insults would be a good idea.

As for interest rates, I gather that's a way to control inflation, but is also connected to the international currency markets. The worldwide shift away from the US Dollar is causing a bit of a problem as countries dump Dollars to prop up their own currency and the US treasury fights back.

India just (allegedly) did that one, as a good number of other countries have.

No, can't get a US loan for a foreign property and why when interest rates are high anyway?    -@VWC

Does that mean US banks are stupid in the way you say Malaysian banks are because you can't get a loan?
Many Malaysians, quite rightly, take exception to foreigners insulting their country.  Perhaps a little thought before posting insults would be a good idea.

As for interest rates, I gather that's a way to control inflation, but is also connected to the international currency markets. The worldwide shift away from the US Dollar is causing a bit of a problem as countries dump Dollars to prop up their own currency and the US treasury fights back.
India just (allegedly) did that one, as a good number of other countries have.

-@Fred  First of all, I was insulting the banks' lending departments, not the Malaysian people.  How would you suppose one lending rep couldn't clearly see or add to know that I made more than my wife?  Rookies....

Well, the loan serves as a risk reducer to me since in theory I could walk from the condo and the country if something major happens. 

How would you suppose one lending rep couldn't clearly see or add to know that I made more than my wife?  Rookies....

Rookies, or they are experienced and have guessed your stated intent to do a runner if things go wrong?

If you are over-paying, the bank might well lose out if you run away.

Insults from foreigners, even ones aimed at specific people, are commonly seen as insulting the whole country.

Hi VWC.

I had a bunch of loans for buying property in Malaysia over the years, but I used HSBC. My first property was bought in 2003 just after I arrived in KL. My relationship manager assure me that a loan would be no problem.  I started by asking for 90%, which they turned down, then 80%, 70% 60% until finally they said they'd lend me 50% of the purchase price if I were to guarantee it with the other 50% in an FD account. Of course I said no, and then bought the place with cash.

After that, I was always offered loans of 60% and bought another five properties in KL. All my loans were with HSBC and I didn't have to prove any income. Just by being an HSBC Premier customer was enough to get a loan. I didn't need to place any FD's with the bank, I just paid the 40% down payment and got the rest from HSBC.

I didn't get my MM2H until 2008, and bought a couple more properties in 2011 & 2012 from developers, again with loans from HSBC,. If I weren't a Premier customer there's no way they'd have lent me any money especially since I was not earning a salary.

I did try a couple of times to do things with local banks such as CIMB, Ambank and Maybank but while I could place higher interest Term Deposits, they wouldn't lend me anything to buy property. I also had an account with RHB which was arranged by Nissan when I bought my new car tax-free.

I have sold all my properties in Malaysia and have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to get a loan these days, but back in the day HSBC was a real doddle. They also work with certain Developers so that you get special conditions and additional discounts when buying something new.