Where do the locals do their grocery shopping in Sosua?

Recently, we visited Sosua and became aware of a couple of supermarkets in the center of town.

I got the feeling that these markets may be overpriced compared to other stores frequented by locals.

Could someone recommend other grocery shops with prices more in line with the local economy?

Jumbo, LaSirena, Playero, Super Pola? There is also a guy on FB called the Veg Man. He sells produce locally.

Sosua and Cabarete are both tourist towns. So you might want to take that into consideration in regards to pricing. Jumbo and LaSirena - in Puerto Plata - are both a bit less. And from what I see, many local people shop there. They are like a Meijer or Walmart in the states.

I am far from an expert. But when you say where locals shop, and if you mean indigenous Dominicans, their shopping and cooking experiences are probably very different from an expats routines

Sirena gehoert inzwischen zu Walmart!

¡Sirena ahora es parte de Walmart!

All supermarket prices are high compared to the local economy. Mainly because of the prices of processed and imported food. Their margins are not that high. Of course location and competition play a role, as do tourist centers..

Many locals source vegetables, fruit and meat from a local market, local producers (farmers and street vendors) or from their own backyards (platanos and avocado's). These products are relatively cheap. Ask locals where they get theirs. These products make up most of the dominican menu but there is not a lot of variation.

For the remainder they need to go to a supermarket or colmado. Most colmado's are not registered and they cannot buy directly from manufacturers, so their profits are low and their prices are also high.

I guess most of the income of normal and poor people is spent on groceries. Locals are very aware of the prices and where to shop.

In short if you stick to "western" food habits you will have to pay for it. If you stick to dominican menu's it will be a lot cheaper but it will get very boring! Your menu will determine where you do most of your shopping. Ask locals where they shop.

@ Papito NL

How do you do your grocery shopping in terms of what supermarket do you favor? Also, when paying for groceries, which is better, paying with a local bank debit card or cash?

What grocery items do you think are ok price wise, to buy in your local colmado?

By the way, thank you for sharing the good advise.

@ Brewpub56

Same questions for you also. Curious to get a feel for how expats have adjusted when doing their grocery shopping in DR.

Thank you for naming the major supermarkets as I plan on moving to the DR.

@Nanosaso

Shopping at a supermarket is basically the same as everywhere else, and card or cash. Small businesses are cash only. Colmado's are usually for small and forgotten items and water barrels. They deliver at home. You can hear the delivery guys a lot around dinner time!

Which supermarket is personal preference, some carry items others don't.

And you learn to shop sales. Or you learn what's a better deal at Pricemart and buy in bulk.