Protocolo expiring

I'm being told by my not so reliable lawyer I'm required to return to Brazil next week BEFORE my Protocolo expires DESPITE the delay by the PF in issuing new ID cards. Does anyone have any knowledge if this is true? Really don't want to return immediately. Thanks

04/11/24    I'm being told by my not so reliable lawyer I'm required to return to Brazil next week BEFORE my Protocolo expires DESPITE the delay by the PF in issuing new ID cards. Does anyone have any knowledge if this is true? Really don't want to return immediately. Thanks

-@Gerard Nardini

I'd recommend contacting the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your state with the question while you still have time.  If they tell you that you're ok, then "the Consulate assured me that there would be no problem" is a powerful response to a balky Immigration Officer; if they confirm your lawyer's advice, then at least you'll know.

What exactly is your protocol for again?  I see from your profile that you are American.  No Visa is required to enter Brazil until at least April, 2025 - so I'm a bit confused as to the issue.  If you are waiting on a CRNM and it's not yet ready because of the delay, then being an American, it doesn't really matter.  You don't need it to enter the country.  All the PF would do is give you a sheet of paper extending the protocol an addition 3 months for ID purposes.  Why do you need that?  Plus you mentioned you have a lawyer?  Does he have your POA for this?  If so, worse case he could go to the PF and get a new sheet of paper, but again, I don't understand why it is needed. 

I'm currently in the states and have a friend in Brazil with my POA who is planning on going to the PF when my card is ready to be picked up.  He isn't planning on going there to get the temporary protocol replaced.  I don't need it because I'm not in the country - and if I was in the country, I'd just use the expired one.  If they follow the verification link on the protocol, they'll see that my expiration date in the system is indeterminado.  What does yours say? 

I recently applied for and received Brazilian residency BUT I am out of country waiting on my ID card to be mailed to my Brazilian address. Meanwhile the  Protocolo receipt they issued me in lieu of the printed ID card is now set to  expire April 21st.

Anyhow I was just recently in Brazil for the maximum 6 months as a tourist, (applying and waiting for a retirement visa). To answer question above, yes I suppose I could wait a total of 6 months and then return but don't want to and shouldn't have to. I have residency, albeit no official CRNM card.

I have an RNM number. When I go to immigration site I see I also have a resident permit which expires in December. I'm unsure what that means in terms of re-entry.

I'm scheduled to talk to my new Lawyer tomorrow. I'll ask about the POA to extend Protocolo.

Printing new ID cards has been delayed but PF appears to be requiring everyone in my situation to report in person for an extension.

Really appreciate all the help! It assists me in asking intelligent questions to lawyers.

I'm completely confused because I was told that the PF does not mail CRNM cards.  You must have someone who has your POA pick it up for you.  Also, you scanned the QR Code on your protocol and it said your residency expires in 1 year? 

@mikehunter

Thanks! I now imagine my lawyer must be picking up my CRNM and mailing it to my Brazilian address. This is why I was told it would mailed.

When I scan QR code it states my residence permit is valid until December. Is that all I need to re-enter?

Or will immigration have an issue with an expired Protocolo, no CRNM issued and having already exhausted my 6 months stay. (if they claim that)

Yes, I could continue to wait until the PF finally issues my CRNM and my Brazilian friend mails it to me in the US but don't want Brazil determining my travel plans.

Obviously don't want to be denied leaving the US by the airlines or denied re-entering Brazil by immigration as I would like to return in late May.

Apologies in advance if this remains confusing. Your responses do really help! Thank you!!

@Gerard Nardini Let's back up a bit to make sure I understand....

1. You entered the country as a tourist
  2. At the time of your entry, you did not have any residency status, you were just a tourist
  3. You completed the migrateweb application for residency as a retiree
  4. The application was approved and you were told to go to the PF to apply for the CRNM card
  5. You obtain the protocol from the PF good for 3 months
  6. When you checked the QR code it showed your CRNM with an expiration date of December 2024? Are you sure it doesn't say 2025?

If it expires in December 2024, then you're going to have to go through this whole process again, and you should probably start it in September.  The initial process gives you temporary residency for a period up to 2 years.  Appears they only gave you 1. 

My guess is that you're not going to have an issue.  The system says you have a residency through the end of this year.  Keep your expired protocol and present it with your passport when you re-enter the country and tell them you are still waiting on your CRNM card.  They are well aware of the printing delays and aren't going to hassle you.  The airlines won't be a problem because they are just interested in checking your passport - and US Citizens don't need a visa to enter brazil. 

If you're still nervous, drop an email to the consulate.  They are quick to respond and quite friendly (at least the LA Consulate was).  However, they may also tell you its a PF thing, and you need to speak with them.  I've been told that before also.

But again, your residency is in the system.  They are not going to deny you entry or charge you a fine because you don't have a paper representation of what is in their system, when it's their fault you don't have your card.  Plus the fact, you only got a year, so you're going to have to go through this whole ordeal again in a few months.

Thank you so much for taking the time to understand my situation Mike! Everything you state was re-iterated by my lawyer. He also sent a link which I can check on the status of my CRNM card, which the system states "pending". My residency permit expires in December. Lawyer said it should just involve proof of income instead of a repeat of this ORDEAL.

I've decided to return next week after all. I've also decided to spend a maximum of 183 days in Brazil to avoid filling a tax return. I will also not be making any investments, bank accounts, nor expose myself to ANY other Brazilian systematized nonsense beyond renewing residency which requires at least 3 visits to the PF. Ridiculous.

Thanks again for the wonderful support!