Moving to DR

Hello all,

I am looking to move to the DR. I have visited at least 25 times in the last 6 years and have gone back and forth with moving there or not. After visiting several areas of the country (except the border area) I am pretty much set on Las Terrenas BUT prices have skyrocketed in the last few years and I feel I wouldn't be getting the bang for my buck I want. Anywhere else I should look that has a similar flair?

Thanks all!

I've been coming to LT for 7 years, living here full-time for almost 4. I highly recommend renting for at least 6 months before buying here! Vacationing here and living here are quite different!

Rents are starting to drop a bit as occupancy drops, and it's my opinion that sale prices will start dropping as well. 

Come to LT, rent in a few different areas for a while, and then decide if it's where you want to be long-term

You can also look along the north coast. There are areas where it is still very reasonable!

@ddmcghee Thank you!

I have been to LT many times. I have stayed in "el pueblo", pescadores, Bonita and Ballenas...Ballenas is what I like. I have yet to stay in Punta Popy or Portillo which I hear are nice. I don't need to be right on the beach but want to be able to walk there. I'll wait to buy since you are saying occupancy is getting low.

What about building, is it difficult and expensive?

Thanks again!

Mike V.

@planner Thank you. I have but only the most popular spots Like Cabarete, Sosua and other places near there. I heard Nagua is beautiful an inexpesive but have yet to go. I do like Samana and have also stayed in Las Galeras which is not for me. I have been told to look at Cabrera and Luperon as well. So I think I still have some more to explore.

@mikerv11  In the last 25 visits you've made here, have you always gone to LT or have to tried other areas, like Sosua, Cabarete, Cabrera.  That would be my suggestion:  if you haven't visited any other "expat hotspot", check them out, and see what the vibe is there,  They're all different but they all have expats.  Once you've done that, then you can search for real estate in that area.

You say you've visited several areas.  Have none of them piqued your interest?

@SandyS_retired Thank you. Yes, I went to Sosua and love it but the nightlife makes it unappealing. Cabarete is nice but the disappearing and reappearing beaches aren't of interest to me lol. Las Galeras is beautiful but under developed for my taste. I definitely prefer the north coast because La Romana, Bavaro and everything in between is just too touristy. I love Jarabacoa but my wife wants to be near the beach, of course! So, I think I have narrowed it down to a place between Cabrera and Portillo but that is a huge stretch so looking for some guidance. Hear Nagua is great, Cabrera it self, Coson, and Sanchez so I'm just trying to figure out which of those is worth the time to go to.

Thank you!

@ddmcghee Thank you!

What about building, is it difficult and expensive?

-@mikerv11

Yes and yes. Material and supply costs are still high. From what I understand the suppliers here refuse to lower their prices. We will see how that plays out.

If you consider building here do a LOT of research and be very cautious. People here just want your money and there is a lack of trained builders, resulting in a poor product.

Just my opinion based on my observations. Nagua is too hectic and crazy. Downtown area is two-way roads which is just problematic for drivers here. There is more commerce is Nagua however. We've been there three times and I am always relieved to get back to LT.

The town of Samana is too touristy.

Sosua, as you indicated, is party central. Not for me.

@RockyM Yes, thank you. I have been told to be careful before. I know several people in LT and they all say the same. I would rather buy and fixer upper but they are hard to come by

@RockyM Have you been to Coson? I keep putting it off but am told it is very nice.

@RockyM Have you been to Coson? I keep putting it off but am told it is very nice.

-@mikerv11

Yes, we live in Coson. We built a house in the hills just outside of town. So we've been through the house building ordeal.

Coson would still be my choice to live if we were to build again.

@RockyM thanks! So, if you don't mind, what is more or less the price per square meter to build? Also, a couple of folks have expresed to me that Coson is not as safe as other areas, any truth in that?

The price to build is just too variable. I couldn't provide an accurate estimate. Depends on the structure, amenities, etc. We built three years ago so the pricing may be different now.

As to Coson being unsafe that is the first I have heard of this. What happens is people hear of some incident somewhere and they extrapolate and say xyz is unsafe.

@mikerv11 Here in the Coson Lomas, I feel very safe! Most of the crime here in LT is in town, in densely populated areas that are easy to get in and out of.

New to the forum and contemplating a retirement move to the DR in 6 to 7 years and our main question is- how do we decide where to live on the island? We are already planning a few week long vacations on the island to scout things out and once we retire we will rent for at least 6 months before making any other decisions. We have only visited the Puerto Plata area. What are the pros and cons of moving to the north coast (around/near Puerto Plata)? the east coast (around/near Punta Cana)? the south coast (around/near Santo Domingo)?

Everything depends on what you want out of life and your budget.

We suggest spending a week or two in each area. They are very different.