"Special Conditions" in renting an apartment

I heard a realtor say "special conditions". What does that mean in reference to someone not from Brazil. I have a retirement visa in Brazil and looking for my first apartment to rent in Rio De Janeiro. Does "special conditions" mean that if I see am apartment on a Remax Realtor site, because I'm not from Brazil, I cannot get the listed price for the apartment? Is this what special conditions means?

It is impossible to say what "special conditions" means, without the context of the conversation. Certainly it is illegal to discriminate in the manner you are suggesting, but there may be items that are peculiar to a building, or requirements from the condo association, for example...

@Peter Itamaraca the realtor later explained in detail what special conditions were, after being very vague before. She said that since I don't have my RNE yet and not able to get a Brazil bank account yet, fewer apartments are going to be available to me. So what I see online may not be available to me until I get a Brazil bank account and RNE. I still may be effected by special conditions, but not nearly as before, once I get the Brazil bank account and RNE.

Peter I'm in Rio. Do you know of any Brazilian bank that would open a bank account for me with a CPF and a "protocolo" from the Ministry of Immigration in Brazil?

Do you know of any Brazilian bank that would open a bank account for me with a CPF and a "protocolo" from the Ministry of Immigration in Brazil?

-@nicholsharvey

If you have a protocolo for a permanent visa, all banks should open a bank account for you, you do not need to wait for the CRNM. But I think you will need a proof of address, even if only temporary - then change it when you have a permanent address.

I heard a realtor say "special conditions". What does that mean in reference to someone not from Brazil. I have a retirement visa in Brazil and looking for my first apartment to rent in Rio De Janeiro. Does "special conditions" mean that if I see am apartment on a Remax Realtor site, because I'm not from Brazil, I cannot get the listed price for the apartment? Is this what special conditions means?

-@nicholsharvey

No,  rental rate , or acquisition price isn't the factor.  Licensed Real Estate Agent from Sao Paulo, so very likely we won't cross paths.

What he meant by it, is that,  granted he/she is not gouging you,  is that you will fall under special conditions for rental term guarantees. 

Unless you get a landlord that goes with you, another expat, then you  might as well forget a Security Deposit.  Which in this country caps at 3 months up front, and does not count against rental payments.

Then there is Renter's Insurance, whose Beneficiary is the Lessor, or Landlord. They may demand you take up insurance ( usually from Porto Seguro which underwrites most policies out here ), and the premium payment is year by year , for as long as you are under tenancy. 

The premium math is usually about 1-1/2 monthy rental costs, ballpark figure , depending upon their risk assessment on you.  Meaning that, between rental costs under lease contract and insurance, you are laying 13-1/2 months every year.  That money never goes back to you. 

Now, every Carrier runs your FICO and income. If you have no background in here ( your US FICO, forget about it ),  then they will deny you policy.   Surprisingly so, the same insurer can offer you a bond. It's up front money, one time payment, and it can break the cap of 3 months rent, since it is not regulated. So if your landlord wants a 6 month rider, so be it.  Don't try to argue the law, you will lose it.

Bond is called "Titulo de Capitalizacao" . It bears interest accrued, and unlike insurance premium, you have full recourse, if you met your obligations on time, and maintaining property as stipulated under contract. 

There is also a guarantor, but the likelyhood you might get is slim to none.  You are a Green Horn, so deal with it.,

Those ads from rental portals, promising, no Security Deposit or Insurance, they are fishy.  Out here, this is the land of the Switch and Bait.  Some way or another, you will get fleeced.

A last resort alternative is to eschew traditional apartment units, and go for flats. They are popular in Sao Paulo, not sure how it plays in Rio.  Just Google Flats Rio. 

Flats hold flexible terms, don't require much in terms of guarantee, and many are fitted as aparmtnets with kitchens.,  That's mostly Studio to 1BR units. Condo rates, borne by tenants, are a little steep. They are mostly full service outfits