Live in the Netherlands and work in Ireland

Hello,

I am a citizen and resident of the Netherlands but would like to work for an Irish company remotely.

Is this possible/allowed by both Dutch and Irish law? I imagine I would be paying Irish taxes. What other implications should I be aware of?

Thank you.

Katya

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

A tax treaty exists between the Netherlands and Ireland; this link will download a PDF version from the Irish tax office.  You don't need permission from anybody to work in the Netherlands, you're a Dutch citizen, the issue will be how you pay your Dutch taxes and Health Insurance and whether the Irish tax office will tax your income at source.

Where you are assessed for taxes is based on where you are deemed a resident (in your case the Netherlands), the tax treaty will cover you for income taxes, but not the Dutch social taxes, the Belastingdienst will assess your worldwide income for both income and social taxes.

My advice is to speak to a Dutch tax adviser and your current Health Insurance provider about the best way forward.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@katerinascerbakova You can. If you get an Irish contract then you need to pay in both NL and Ireland. If you get a Dutch contract, then you only pay in NL.

If you work over 1/2 a year outside the country of the contract, as remote worker, you need to declare it accordingly to the Dutch government.

Alternatively is to do it through a 3rd party contractual company in NL.