Moving to Sharm.

Hi , I'm a 53yr old man who sadly lost his wife 3 years ago form cancer. After 6 months of being on my own I jumped onto the dating scene.

After a few dates I fell for a woman who was perfect for me,but as time went on she showed her true colours and I was just a meal ticket.

We are no longer together.

I've been to Sharm 3 times and I'm visiting next month too.

I'm thinking of coming over for 12 months , I've been offered accommodation either on a holiday hotel complex or private apartments for around 12000 le or £250 per month, Does that sound right?.

I just need a fresh start,new place,new friends etc.

Will it be easy for a English man to stay over in Sharm and fit in?.

Thanks

Damian

There are a lot more ex pats in hurgarda than sharm and more local bars where you will meet others imo

but good luck pal

@Ronanmckay

Hi Ronan

You remind me of myself.

I went to Sharm in 2012 on holiday after splitting with a woman. I was 54 then. I met a beautiful Egyptian woman Asmaa working in Jollie ville Hotel in Nama Bay in Sharm. Married in 2014 after spending 7 out of 21 months, in a very nice flat / compound the Ritz carlton in Hadaba as it was then, back and over 2 weeks there and 3 weeks back home. We now live in Ireland but visit Egypt 4 or 5 times a year. She is from Cairo but we now mostly stay in Rixos in Hurghada.

Now, Sharm used to be the diamond in the crown of the Red Sea but since the revolution in 2011 it is in steady decline with one issue after another.

I have very fond memories of Sharm.

Between 2015 and 2019 we stayed in the Savoy with family and Soho Square was great. But as said, now, Hurghada in preference.

A few things about Sharm. First there are no locals, everyone is from somewhere else, except Bedouins and come to Sharm to make a living. Sharm was a fishing village until 1995 and was developed as a resort city, a wee bit like Las Vegas.

Sharm now has a bit of an edge. Now if you like a place with an edge then this is the place for you. Most, not all, are there for work or a fast buck and plenty of rouges, chancers and hustlers on the make, even the expats and you do need your wits about you at times. Sharm has 3 main areas and in order of my preference Naba, Hadaba and Nama Bay.

To live there. The rate for stg is 60 egp to £. so 15,000egp for £250. You will get more from time to time on the black market.

If you live like a local you will live OK. But don't forget there are always 2 prices .. Egyptian and tourist and you will be seen as a tourist and charged accordingly. As example, when we were in Sharm, 2013, if my wife got into a taxi then 15egp, if I got in then 50egp, both together then a fight, get my drift.

There are lots of Russians there as 50% of tourist were Russian and a good few Brits and the Egyptians were mostly from Cairo or North of Cairo.

You will need to bargain hard and get used to hassle.

But great weather and sea. You will need air con in the summer.

Now, Egypt has experienced serious inflation in the last few years and life is rough for Egyptians.

You will get bargains in accommodation with flats and some 1 star hotel but it will definitely not be the Ritz or beach front.

As an Expat it will be difficult to live on 15k a month until you get the hang of things in Sharm, you will be viewed as rich, and you probably are versus the locals.

Would definitely advise good medical insurance and an escape fund if it doesn't work out.

So can you get by on £250 a month, yes but you will get educated and when you do you will get on great but watch your back.

I would, like one of the other contributions recommend Hurghada. It is a city in its own right with a local population of circa 1 million. The locals are really upper Egyptian and much more hospitable and less of the hassle.

But up to yourself and one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

Overall  I find Egypt a fabulous place with great people with hospitality built into their DNA. Their culture is different and amazing but it is their country with their laws, beliefs and ways of doing things. Respect goes a long way. If you go with the right attitude you will be equally respected. Go there with a superior western Expat attitude expecting bacon and eggs for breakfast at the old Vic and you will be in serious bother 😀. Note there is a side to the paperwork, visas, permits to live and especially to work there and this can be slow and frustrating to say the least but fall fowl of this and you can pay dearly.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray , thanks for that advice , Any chance I could call you to discuss things please?.