Using Foreign Documents in Brazil

hello guys, I'm curious about the specific steps (detailed procedure: how/what) involved for foreign documents (e.i birthcert, marriage cert, etc) in order to be utilized and accepted in Brazil.

Thank much in advance!

hello guys, I want to know how and what is the detailed procedure for processing foreign documents to be able to use in Brazil?

Thank much in advance!

-@spiritualsoul

As a generalisation (as you did not specify which documents), you need to have them apostilled by the issuing authority in the country of issue, and then have them officially translated in Brazil.

Also be aware that some documents may need to be notarised before the apostille...

@Peter Itamaraca pardon me, i am just new in the forum, i am able to edit my post.

the documents i am pertaining are foreign docs like birth cert, marriage cert... that i might probably need to present in my future transactions with Brazilian govt offices.

@Peter Itamaraca pardon me, i am just new in the forum, i am able to edit my post.
the documents i am pertaining are foreign docs like birth cert, marriage cert... that i might probably need to present in my future transactions with Brazilian govt offices.

-@spiritualsoul

Yes, those documents will require an apostille as I mentioned, and the issuing authority will advise about the need to notarise first, but probably. My hesitation is that I have no idea which country has issued these documents, so I suggest contacting your local Brazilian Consulate, and they will advise.

02/21/24 @spiritualsoul.  Please see my post in your thread on Birth Registration for lists of documents required.

Suriname is a party to the Apostille Convention, so all official Surinamese documents will require apostilles from the Surnamese authorities to be used in Brazil.  Here is the contact information for the Apostille Authority in Paramaribo:

https://www.hagueapostille.co.uk/apostille-suriname

Documents and apostilles not in Portuguese will require Sworn Translations, which you can and should obtain after your arrival in Brazil.  A search "Traduções Juramentadas" for the locality where you live should inform you of the nearest Sworn Translators.

@spiritualsoul, following up on the great advice already given here, you have to make sure your foreign documents like birth and marriage certificates are properly processed to be recognized in Brazil. As Peter Itamaraca mentioned, the apostille process is a key step that authenticates your documents for international use under the Hague Apostille Convention.

Should you need assistance or guidance with getting your documents apostilled from countries not covered in the provided links, or if you're looking for a streamlined service to handle the legalisation, including notarisation and translation requirements, I've found this service to be quite helpful https://apostillelondon.com/document-legalisation/ .

They offer detailed advice and services for a wide range of documents, ensuring they're legally accepted in countries like Brazil.

@spiritualsoul didn't  read the whole thread but it would be helpful for us to know where you're  from to better assist. Some countries like mine (Canada) didn't  have an apostille for documentation  so it was different for me.

04/10/24   @spiritualsoul didn't  read the whole thread but it would be helpful for us to know where you're  from to better assist. Some countries like mine (Canada) didn't  have an apostille for documentation  so it was different for me.

-@Cserebogar

The OP's profile said that s/he was from Suriname, which is a party to the Apostille Convention.

Canada ratified the Convention last year, with the stated plan of beginning to issue apostilles in January 2024.  It would be great to know from a Canadian who's needed a document this year whether they met that deadline or not.  If any province failed to designate an Issuing Authority, that could have held everyone up.