Considering moving to Loja or Cotacachi area

My name is John - Greetings, 

My wife and I are contemplating retiring in Ecuador.   My wife has concerns related to our personal security.  We are considering a move to the Loja area or Cotacachi area.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome on board John !

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Ecuador forum so that members can provide their feedback.

All the best

Bhavna

@Johnstahley06

Seems ironic that US citizens are concerned for their safety in Ecuador considering what is happening in the USA right now.

The US government has no concern for the safety of their own citizens and encouraging and directly supporting illegal immigration.  Now there are Venezuelan gangs teaming up with MS13 in terrorizing the city.  Literally doing all the same things you hear of in Ecuador.  Search This is coming to every blue city in the USA.

Let's be sober and honest with ourselves.  Without going into all the details, what is happening is a worldwide issue.  US.gov is not going to be an honest partner with Ecuador in fighting cartels.  They have already proven this with other countries.

If you plan to move to Ecuador, it is your own responsibility to do your own risk assessment.  Based on the risk and what resources/steps  you are willing to take to offset that risk, then you can make your own informed decision.

Society's biggest mistake (and fallacy) was outsourcing their own personal safety to their government.  When the moment happens, it's only you and those who mean you harm.  Always was, always will be.

From what I've seen, Ecuadorian houses are more secure than US ones and Ecuadorians know their neighbors and look out for each other.  Those are some pluses.  There are a lot of minuses also.

How do the governments compare?  Which one are you going to get better treatment from?  Which one is serious about issues which directly affect your safety and well being?

The US was the only country in where I felt that I needed to own a gun for personal safety.  Never owned one since.  So sad that people regard the killing of schoolchildren now as normal events in the US.  Americans should be ashamed.

Why I live in the Philippines,  so much safer than either Ecuador or the USA.

The US was the only country in where I felt that I needed to own a gun for personal safety.  Never owned one since.  So sad that people regard the killing of schoolchildren now as normal events in the US.  Americans should be ashamed.

-@HelenPivoine

How often did you use it?

I never used it.  But I remember keeping it in my lap when handing out Hallowe{en candy.

I did suffer violent incidents in my home in the Ocala National Forest.  Car tires all slashed, peeping tom.  Nasty. But I knew which crazies had done it.

There have been incidents in rural Loja province over the years, a few home invasions and burglaries.

But the city of Loja is a beacon of safe and secure living. I'm 74 and live alone in busy part of the city.

I have never felt the least bit of danger day or night. I walk three miles a day and have never

encountered a negative experience, other than being approached occasionally by panhandlers.

Cotacachi is a nice small town. You'll see fellow  resident-foreigners walking the streets up and down enjoying the advantage of any small town. No long distances to get what you need. Plus the weather is nice as well. My guess is that you'll need to get involved in activities with the people around in order not to get bored after a few weeks. Unless a comfort zone is what you are looking for.