Taxes on foreign disability pension

Hi,

I just realized that I'll probably have to file a tax declaration for 2023, but I want to try and clarify something: I did spend more than 183 days in Brazil in 2023, so I went to the website of the receita federal, where I found this page: it lists the conditions under which you have to file a declaration, and it doesn't say anything about government pensions (disability or age). The one thing that could be my situation is this line:

- rendimentos dos valores

(https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … renda/quem)

However, isn't that for passive income only? I do not have investments or any other income (from real estate or whatever), but I get a government pension. What do you think?

I'm Canadian, and our government and private pensions must be declared in addition to other income.

Remember that declaring income and actually paying tax are two different things.

Remember that declaring income and actually paying tax are two different things.

-@Gasparzinho 7

Well yes they are different things, but one usually leads to the other…so what exactly do you mean by that?

That declaring does not always lead you to paying. And that paying, if applicable, is the least painful of options should you get caught not declaring in Brasil.

I know some Brasilians who moved back after 4-5 years here, and they were not forthcoming with the RF, either due to deliberate intent, or, thru misinterpretation of a sentence in the law to their favor. It's not a direction I would take, having seen the result.

That's all.

@Gasparzinho 777

Well if anything in my posts in this thread (or any thread, for that matter) makes it look as if I'm trying to dodge my taxes, it was completely unintentional.

I might actually end up paying less, since (AFAIK) Switzerland has the same taxation agreements as the European Union. And if I'm not mistaken , the guiding principle of these agreements is that there should be no double taxation, which would mean that I won't have to pay taxes in Switzerland for the time that I'm paying them in Brazil.

But even if it's not like that, I prefer by far to pay my taxes, rather than deal with the consequences, of which there could be many…

@Kurterino

Hi. 

I also ust realized that I'll probably have to file a tax declaration for 2023. Can somone point me to a good accountant for this? I am a USA Citizen with Brazillian Visa.

Cheers, will

Information on disability SSDI pension also well appreciated....