Required Documents for Residency Based on Family Reunion in Brazil.

Please note  that this English translation is for informational purposes only, and is neither authoritative nor definitive.  The authoritative document in Portuguese on which this translation is based can be accessed through the link at the end of the post.

Note also that this post only describes the procedure for persons with VIVIS  (tourist) visas seeking to establish residency.  The processes for holders of VITEM XI Family Reunion visas issued by Brazilian Consulates abroad are much simpler and will require presentation of fewer documents to the Federal Police, often only the visa and the Consulate's Protocolo, without apostilles or Sworn Translations.  A VITEM XI can only be obtained at a Brazilian Consulate outside Brazil, and is definitely preferable for anyone who qualifies:  check the website of the nearest Brazilian Consulate or Embassy for the local requirements.

It is possible for someone who arrives on a VIVIS and qualifies for residency to obtain authorization directly from the Federal Police but in that case, it is essential to have all the documents relevant to the case listed below, current, with apostilles (or legalizations for countries not parties to the Apostille Convention), and Sworn Translations performed by a duly appointed Sworn Translator in Brazil.  The application must be made to and accepted by the Federal Police before the visit allowed under the VIVIS expires.

Residence Permit for Family Reunion

Published on 01/07/2021 2:00 pm Updated on 01/18/2024 3:43 pm

Required Documentation

Residence Permit Based on Family Reunion (Code - 285/286)

•    Own application, using an electronic form duly completed on the PF website (MigranteWeb);

•    Valid travel document or official identity document;

•    Birth or marriage certificate or consular certificate, when the travel document or official identity document does not contain data on filiation (observing the applicable translation legalization rules);

•    Criminal record certificates or equivalent document issued by the competent judicial authority where you have resided for the last five years (observing the applicable translation and legalization rules);

•    Declaration, under penalty of law, of no criminal record in any country, in the five years prior to the date of requesting a residence permit;

•    Birth or marriage certificate to prove the relationship between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit, or a suitable document that proves the link (observing the applicable translation and legalization rules);

•    Identity document of the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit, whom the applicant wishes to join;

•    Declaration, under penalty of law, that the sponsoring family member (“Chamante”) resides in Brazil;

•    Documents proving economic dependence, when applicable;

•    Proof of the stable union between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit, when applicable;

•    Joint declaration by spouses or partners, under penalty of law, regarding the continuity of effective union and cohabitation;

•    Documents proving the guardianship, conservatorship or guardianship of a Brazilian, when applicable.

•    Proof of payment of residence permit fees (revenue code 140066, value R$168.13) and CRNM issuance (revenue code 140120, value R$204.77), when applicable

•    In case of unavailability of the Federal Police's biometric data collection system, 1 (one) recent 3x4 photo, color, white background, plain paper, from the front may be requested;

•    Pay attention to the observations below (depending on the case, other documents may be required).

Obervations

•    It is considered a crime, with a penalty of imprisonment and a fine, to omit, in a public or private document, a statement that should have been written therein, or to insert or cause to be inserted a statement that is false or different from what should have been written, with the aim of violating the law, creating an obligation or altering the truth about a legally relevant fact (Art. 299, of the Penal Code);

•    Documents issued abroad must comply with legalization and translation rules. For more information see the Federal Police website;

•    It is at the discretion of the administrative authority competent to assess the residence permit, to accept criminal record certificates that do not comply with the 90-day validity deadline;

•    It is at the discretion of the competent administrative authority, in case of doubt regarding civil registration, to request an updated birth or marriage certificate;

•    When the presence of one of the legal guardians of the minor under 18 years of age or the disabled person (such as in the case of residing in another country or state in Brazil) is not possible, the legal guardian who appears at the Federal Police unit must take with him or her a Declaration (respecting legalization and translation rules) in which the authorization of the absent legal guardian is expressly described, so that the person who is a minor or disabled can proceed with the request for a Residence Permit in Brazil. It is possible for the parents to grant a specific power of attorney (mentioning immigration regularization), indicating the person responsible for the minor's residence application, with a notarized signature;

•    The “CHAMANTE” (“CALLER”) is the Brazilian (or immigrant already receiving a residence permit) with whom the current applicant for the residence permit wishes to have a family reunion.  The “CHAMADO” (“CALLED”) is the current applicant for a residence permit who wishes to have a family reunion with a Brazilian (or with an immigrant already receiving a residence permit). Persons eligible to be “Chamantes” are listed on the Federal Police website;

•    To investigate and verify the data necessary for decision-making (including proof of family ties), investigative activities may be carried out, such as, for example, personal interviews with all family members. For this reason and in order to speed up the processing of your Request, it is recommended that the CHAMADO family member and the CHAMANTE family member appear together when submitting the Residence Permit Application;

•    Regardless of the validity period shown on the National Migration Registration Card – CRNM, the Residence Authorization for Family Reunion is conditioned on the maintenance of the family bond that established it;

•    Specific legislation: Interministerial Ordinance No. 12, of June 14, 2018;

•    For more information, check Frequently Asked Questions on the Federal Police website.

•    If any doubts persist, consult the Federal Police unit in your region.

Authoritative Document:  https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … o-familiar

@abthree

This is exactly the document I used recently (in November, 2023) to get my Retirement temporary residency changed to "Permanent Residency," based upon Family Reunion (Marriage).  Since I have already been living here for a year and a half, the steps were relatively simple to follow and I filled out all the forms in Portuguese based upon some Google translations I used, together with my Brazilian wife's help.  Feel free to send private messages for more info if wanted or needed.  1f600.svg1f60e.svg1f64f.svg1f4aa.svg

Excellent breakdown

@MA22 So, I am close to hearing back from the Brazilian Consulate for approval (or not). Is there any kind of ''Permanent Residence Club" aka SNL 5 Time Hosters Club to look forward to?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@roddiesho

Bom dia Roddie!

Haha.  I haven't heard of one.  Looks like you'll be the new official envoy for that group! 

Peace e Boa sorte!

What is the timeline

What is the timeline from submission till physical card pickup?

04/16/24    What is the timeline from submission till physical card pickup?

-@Cjeezy007

At the moment, it's really impossible to say.  Ideally it should only take about a month, if all documents are current and have the required apostilles/legalizations and Sworn Translations.  But expats are reporting that since the pandemic it's been taking much longer, and currently the one machine in Brasília that produces the cards apparently is out of service.  Because of these delays, there are people who have been waiting six months or more. 

Keep checking back here at the Brazil Forum for news of any change.

@MA22 The Jacket Fits! 1f575.svg

@abthree thank you for this. I will be in the comments checking for updates.

I have a question in regard to documents showing financial independence....

Can those documents be printed off and given in Rio physically from online bank statements or do these documents need to be apostilled in the USA prior to presenting them to Receita Federal in Brasil?

Thanks everyone.

04/24/24    I have a question in regard to documents showing financial independence....
Can those documents be printed off and given in Rio physically from online bank statements or do these documents need to be apostilled in the USA prior to presenting them to Receita Federal in Brasil?
Thanks everyone.

-@Ga Ci2

I'm not sure what you're looking at.  There's no requirement in Family Reunion for proof of financial independence.  There's a requirement for proof of financial dependence, but this only applies to adult dependents that are being brought to live in Brazil.

I apologize abthree. I thought USA financial documents (like pay stubs) or online bank statements are needed to be submitted by any foreigner physically when submitting an application for a residence permit or for a Brasilian spousal visa at Santos Dumont Airport. I am trying to think back if the cartorio asked me for any financial documents..... I can't remember.

Thanks for the help. It means a lot.

04/29/24    I apologize abthree. I thought USA financial documents (like pay stubs) or online bank statements are needed to be submitted by any foreigner physically when submitting an application for a residence permit or for a Brasilian spousal visa at Santos Dumont Airport. I am trying to think back if the cartorio asked me for any financial documents..... I can't remember.
Thanks for the help. It means a lot.

-@Ga Ci2

You're very welcome.  Best of luck with your request.

Do you happen to know whether these documents are needed?  I am planning a trip soon, it's important I find out.

Thanks

04/30/24    Do you happen to know whether these documents are needed?  I am planning a trip soon, it's important I find out.Thanks        -@Ga Ci2

This thread is only about the documentation requirements for the Family Reunion Authorization for Residency from the Federal Police in Brazil; documentation requirements for the Family Reunion Visa from a Brazilian Consulate are similar, but the applicant should check the website of the relevant Consulate for any differences.  Family reunion does not ordinarily require any proof of financial independence; some other visas and Authorizations for Residency do.  If you are not planning on requesting residency based on Family Reunion, there are other threads for that.

@abthree

Copy that!

Thank you.

05/01/24 @ukeobinna.  Please note that this thread only applies to residency applications in Brazil from foreigners who have a Brazilian spouse, a Brazilian child, or certain other close relatives who are Brazilian citizens.  Non-Moroccan citizens in Morocco  with no family connection to Brazil must apply to the Consular Section of the Embassy of Brazil in Rabat to obtain the correct visa prior to attempting any travel to Brazil.

With respect to your general question on criminal record checks, if you and your family have been in Morocco for at least five years and have never been back to Nigeria during that time, Brazilian authorities may be willing to accept a Moroccan background check only, although they may still require one from Nigeria as well.  The Consular Section at the Embassy in Rabat can give you an authoritative answer.

@abthree I'm looking to start this process soon, but I'm curious about the difference between Code - 285/286, Code 285 and Code 286. I want to move from a digital nomad visa, so would I go straight to Code 286? Admittedly, I haven't looked at the form yet! Just beginning my research so have found even the link you posted extremely helpful!

@abthree Curiously after all the trouble getting the FBI Background Check apostilled, I don't believe anyone even looked at it etc. when I went to the Federal Police, though it was included in the documents (Un apostilled) to the Brazilian Consulate. The one I paid an extra $100 for to be sent to my home in Brazil has just gathered dust.

05/11/24    @abthree Curiously after all the trouble getting the FBI Background Check apostilled, I don't believe anyone even looked at it etc. when I went to the Federal Police, though it was included in the documents (Un apostilled) to the Brazilian Consulate. The one I paid an extra $100 for to be sent to my home in Brazil has just gathered dust.
Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

And yet, if you hadn't had it, who knows? 😂

So now, you came back to Brazil on a VITEM XI, right?  And you've registered for your CRNM with the PF?  So, are you out of the woods now and ready to just live your life as a resident of Brazil?  If so, YAY! 🥳

05/11/24    @abthree I'm looking to start this process soon, but I'm curious about the difference between Code - 285/286, Code 285 and Code 286. I want to move from a digital nomad visa, so would I go straight to Code 286? Admittedly, I haven't looked at the form yet! Just beginning my research so have found even the link you posted extremely helpful!

-@leashy_kate

This page explains the difference between Code 285 and Code 286:

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … o-familiar

Code 285 is "Renewal of Authorization of Temporary Residency Based on Family Unification."

Code 286 is "Alteration of Authorization of Temporary Residency to Permanent Based on Family Unification."

My guess would be Code 286, as well.  The documentation is the same for both, so if you use the wrong code, the PF should correct it.

@abthree Almost!

The federal Police want to see my daughter, at first it was when she comes to Brazil in February.  My wife then said in July within 90 days, however my passport is good until April 2025 (1 year).  Hopefully that will be enough. She recently got a massive promotion and is now 2nd. in command. She already had a birthday vacation to Ecuador, July 23rd, her birthday. I am hoping for her career she can space these trips out.

It does appear near the end. They seemed to do the paperwork and just need the meeting.

05/11/24  @abthree Almost!
The federal Police want to see my daughter, at first it was when she comes to Brazil in February.  My wife then said in July within 90 days, however my passport is good until April 2025 (1 year).  Hopefully that will be enough. She recently got a massive promotion and is now 2nd. in command. She already had a birthday vacation to Ecuador, July 23rd, her birthday. I am hoping for her career she can space these trips out.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Congratulations to her on her promotion -- that's great!  Her employer, however should certainly understand the term "family emergency", and if there ever was a family emergency, you've got one.  Best of luck.