How to cancel temporary residency

how do i cancel my temporary residency in costa rica since i can now stay in costa rica 6 months i dont need it anymore ?

Good subject. A couple of points:

1. Your 6 months visa isn't guaranteed, the length of stay is up to the discretion of the immigration officer. You can get even 10 days.
  2. Laws in this country can exist but not necessarily followed. Be careful, this is not Europe, the US or Canada.
  3. Cancelling your residence? Better consult a lawyer. As to me, I believe once 2 years of a temp residence are over and you don't extend it, you are converted into a tourist subject to the valid visa.

And also, you won't be eligible to use the national health service, the CAJA.

What's more, should you misbehave, you are subject to immediate deportation. Maybe best to always carry a toothbrush.

And don't forget, you won't be eligible to get a Costa Rican driver's license, so you'll have to keep a U.S. license current.

I am looking into this as caja is killing me, migra will not permit the change to matrimonio permanent (unlawfully I believe) and all that pura vida...

Good subject. A couple of points:

Your 6 months visa isn't guaranteed, the length of stay is up to the discretion of the immigration officer. You can get even 10 days.
Laws in this country can exist but not necessarily followed. Be careful, this is not Europe, the US or Canada.
Cancelling your residence? Better consult a lawyer. As to me, I believe once 2 years of a temp residence are over and you don't extend it, you are converted into a tourist subject to the valid visa.

-@Henrych

If you want to get rid of it.. just let it run out and don't renew.    Living without residency means no CR Identification card (DIMEX); and no Caja... but you could check on that... 

You can get private health insurance and do the 180 day border runs... or whatever the time limit is on your passport stamp.  It used to be 90 days and I know a woman who did it for over 4 years... no big deal.   Like one of the commentors said...  it could always change.   But my guess is, with tourism being so important to the economy here, the gov't isn't going to make it hard to visit or even stay for 'long' visits.

I like Caja healthcare system because of free prescriptions and free hospitalization.   It's not 3rd world, and it's not the States, but it's adequate.

Pura Vida