Work in NL without contract and bsn

Hello there, I would like to just inform.

I came to Netherlands via agency, and I might to start work on Wednesday 10th, however I don't have got contract yet, I'm going to get it after I receive BSN number, but agency gave me date on 10th January 🤷 so they told me not to skip work, and they will provide another date.

Is that safe to work without contract and bsn number for a few days maybe weeks?

I'm first time in Netherlands.

Thank you for the answers 🙏

You can't legally work for a Dutch company without a BSN number and depending on your citizenship without a visa.

@3Josh

Hello there, thank you for the answer. They told me (in agency) that it's normal that people are working without contract/bsn for a few days, that it doesn't matter, but in my country (EU country) you can't work without contract, because you will get a big fee 🙈 so I'm afraid right now, if something happens in work (I mean injury or something) what then? Still have got this day to decide if work without contract and bsn or no.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your Forum information tells me you're from Slovakia; they're members of the EU and as a Slovak citizen you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, you don't need a work permit or residence visa.  Most EU countries (including the Netherlands) do require you to register with the Gemeente (Town Hall), from that meeting you'll get your BSN and DigiD numbers which are how you communicate with the Dutch Government over things like taxes and also allow you to get health Insurance (which is compulsory).

The agency you've spoken to has summed it up quite well, there is nothing wrong with you entering into a work contract while your registration is sorted, many do it.  it's really up to your employer as to whether they are willing to proceed on that basis and that you are willing to go on the highest tax code until the matter is resolved with the Belastingdienst.  You'll also need to try and work out health Insurance, try contacting the Zorgverzekeringslijn (link), they're very helpful.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@mimi98smile if you came via agency they should've taken you to sign the contract first of all..

If you have any doubts you can message as I came via agency as well.