New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2024

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Im Terry

Im new here too as just arrived in PR on 3/24.

59 and here to take adv of tax breaks and retire i guess lolol Everything looks so old, im committed but i have no clue how im going to adjust to life in pR....any helpful suggestions? 

I want to buy land and build a brand new house!!! Looking at Rio Grande on south side of Route 3

Nice to meet you all!

@Tld14950

Welcome...  built a few times in PR.  I can't help much but have built and West is Best... If you end up on that side (normally less destruction from hurricanes as they come off Africa and hit the East) let me know. :)  I really don't know anything about the East part of PR other than visiting it... prefer my West Coast side.  More protection from hurricanes historically.

Good morning,

My name is Jenny and as you can see I'm looking to escape the life and Wisconsin where I was born and raised, it's too cold here! I always thought we would find property on St Croix US Virgin Islands since I have had family there for over 20 years but after visiting Puerto Rico my husband and I have decided we would like to snowbird/retire there in the coming years instead. We fell in love with Luquillo PR! However, we will be visiting/ exploring West end of island and Ponce next winter to make a clearer determination on what will work best for our future decisions. Looking forward to learning from this forum. Thank you!

Good morning,

I'm Jeffrey from Virginia, retired USMC 60 yrs old currently working for the USPS. I was approved for a transfer to San Juan and due to report  May 4th. Didn't think I could get this transfer but it happened for me to finish my last three years to retire.

Looking to rent close to Carolina with no more than a 30 minute drive for work..Traffic can be horrendous as I found out two weeks ago while visiting.  I'm  used to it as I grew up in NYC and now in Virginia.

The added benefit for me is the military base Fort Buchannon which can assist me in this transition. I'll have plenty of time to make a decision to acquire property and maintain my condo in Virginia Beach. The snowbird idea sounds good to examine.

Anyways looking forward to this next phase of life and living it in abundance on a tropical island with a drink in my hand and my feet in the warm sand. And I don't mean Oman or Afghanistan……lol

Hi,  Jeff, I am new to this forum. i will be visiting next month to check out neighborhoods. i plan to move to apuerto Rico by next May. As a 70 something widow, I  hope to learn valuable tips by reading the posts. looking forward to any interesting and insightful comments the group cares to share.   Jenquepasa

@Get me out of Wisconsin

We are in WI too and considering a warmer climate to retire to in a few years. We really love Mexico, but recently started considering Puerto Rico since Medicare would be usable there.  Any thoughts would be helpful for us to narrow down a location! :) We plan to vacation to Puerto Rico in the next few years to see how the vibe is.

Husband is retired from 35 years at USPS. We're from Miami been here almost 4 years. We live in Humacao. He almost had a trade with someone in San Juan several years ago but never followed thru with it & when they were offering transfers after Maria he was awaiting knee replacement & wouldn't have been able to physically do it.

@juliebar21

Vibe is fine here, but as for health care. It's very scary and lacks lots of services or services aren't timely.  We have a neighbor who is puerto  Ricans who fell in a parking lot fracture here arm from the elbow down

She was in a hospital for 4 days before they could find another hospital to do the surgery.  When she got transferred to the other hospital she was there for days before they even did the surgery.   It took so long that she started to heal. They did the surgery and botched it so bad that she had to go to the states.

She is in the states now and the surgeon there can't believe how bad of a job was done in Puerto rico.

Now they will ahve to rebreak and do the surgery again.    This is a simple surgery that should have never go so botched.   If you have a serious medical issue you will die waiting for an ambulance if not you will surely get half ass care in 99% of the hospitals here.

@sandrarduncan Can i ask why are you still living there? Why dont you leave. sounds like your very unhappy there. Sure the States have better services.

We have a house here and we are here because my husband gets his free medical care at the va hospital.

We have lived in other countries.  Recently we lived a year in belize, we lived in mexico for a year and half and are permanent residents of mexico.

We love the people here but paradise has its issues. I don't sugarcoat stuff. People have no idea what they are getting into moving here.  Have you ever been without water for 62 days? Power for 72 days? Without cell service for months? Without internet for 6 months??    Facts are facts.  Some people can't rough it other people can't. So once again what I am telling you if facts.  If you can live with those facts, that's awesome.  If not, it's better that's someone is giving you the facts so you don't have to find out the hard way.   We have lived in 6 locations on the island over 8 plus years.   I wish you the best on your journey no matter where that leads you too. If you would like to speak privately you can add me to your contacts.  I can also give you information on other locations in the world that might be a better match for you. Or I can provide you with tools for you get get information worldwide that might change your mind on locations you might have not considered