A Question About Those We Do Not Speak Of: Roaches At Elevation

So, my first topic of great importance!

I have searched the web long and hard on this topic.  Google spits out results, repeated everywhere, that roaches do not live above 2000m (6,500 ft).  I searched a lot of English speaking sites and this info is parroted everywhere.

Cool, I thought!  I'll live in the Andes (Quito, Cuenca, Loja, etc..) and never have to see another one again!!  Where I live along the southern coast of the US, these bastards we fight constantly and I'm sick of that so good riddance!!

Except...

Fumigaciones, Deinstectacion - I see numerous business listed in Quito, Cuenca and Loja and they literally have roaches on their advertising materials.  You don't have a business to get rid of things that don't exist there.

What is the honest truth on how bad it is there?  I'm coming from a 1st world country and expecting to have less problems with this than in a third world country.  Am I delusional in that? 

Are restaurants, mercados, etc, infested?  Hotels?  What are locals general views on this?

From what I've read, Ecuadorian building standards are lower there than in the US, so seals on doors and windows are quite poor if even installed in many places.

What is the general story on this?

It's not the deciding factor, but I do want to know the real situation as I make my plans.   

Just on doing some web browsing, it "appears' that in general they don't do well at altitudes over 2000m (6,500 ft).  Of course, there are different varieties, perhaps some have adapted to overcome this.  As a resident of Cuenca for over 3 years, I have yet to see a cockroach, or other type roach for that matter.  Same with mosquitos, I have read that it is Cuenca's combination of consistent cool weather AND high altitude (8,500 ft) that these are also scarce.  There are flies here, I've seen them, but not in the numbers found in the U.S., and outdoor dining or leaving windows open for ventilation is common here b/c flying bugs aren't really much of a nuisance. 

There are DEFINITELY cockroaches in the warm parts of the country.  Not too long ago I visited a few beaches here in Ecuador, and at 2 separate locations the nasty critters were to be seen, healthy and enjoying the warmth of the area. 

@workingwithcoffee 😅 thanks for planting the image of my mind: cockroach kicking back in a beach chair... having a margarita. 🥳🪳🍹 vive la buena vida!! 🙌🏽🌴🦜🌞🌺💜🇪🇨

@workingwithcoffee 😅 thanks for planting the image of my mind: cockroach kicking back in a beach chair... having a margarita. 🥳🪳🍹 vive la buena vida!! 🙌🏽🌴🦜🌞🌺💜🇪🇨        -@rkg695

Well, one of them must have had one too many because I saw him (in the BNB); I screamed appropriately b/c living in Cuenca hadn't seen one in ages.  He scurried off, then while I was telling someone about him, he crawled over my foot.  Had to have had a few margaritas too many LOL!

So it seems it generally holds true about the Andes at altitude.

Anyone have experience with Loja, Malacatos or Vilcabamba?  Those look at bit lower in altitude and right at the borderline.

I'm really curious about Loja.  Looks good on paper and google map street view looks like a nice enough town but seems expats just aren't going there much.  Seen posts and videos from years ago like it was going to be next expat hotspot but it never has turned into that.  Must be a reason but I haven't seen why.

Anyone have experience with Loja, Malacatos or Vilcabamba?  Those look at bit lower in altitude and right at the borderline.I'm really curious about Loja.  Looks good on paper and google map street view looks like a nice enough town but seems expats just aren't going there much.  Seen posts and videos from years ago like it was going to be next expat hotspot but it never has turned into that.  Must be a reason but I haven't seen why.        -@AmericanoNorte

Have lived in Vilca and Malacatos and both are sub 2km, but both aren't very urban areas (where roaches thrive).  Seen "roaches" that aren't too scary (pillbug size) and will dissapear if you keep your house/apartment/cooking area mostly clean.  Important to not leave food out regularly or you will get an infestation.  But currently the bigger problem here in Malacatos is mosquitos.  First few years were pretty dry with few mosquitos in sight.  Last few years, the rainy season seems longer and wetter and the mosquitos are actually making a nuisance of themselves.

@antialiased

Thanks for the info, sounds reasonable and not bad at all.

I currently live in Texas in a high mosquito area.  Definitely worse in wetter years, but we cut them down by making sure we didn't have areas of standing water (puddle) from rains and cutting back vegetation from near the house.

Of course, we have screens on our windows which Ecuadorian homes they don't seem to be big on window screens, or door and window seals for that matter.

Fire ants are a big nuisance where we live.  Honestly, we deal with so many issues living in rural Texas it's like a fight with nature instead of coexistence!  Literally had a copperhead snake hanging of our front door coming home one day.

@AmericanoNorte  Yeah, mosquito situation here isn't anywhere near as bad as when I used to live in Vermont and I do have screens.  But you heard right: because theres no need for heating, AC or insulation in this area, construction standards are much lower as far as gaps/cracks that let in air (and little bugs like moquitos).  Mosquitos aren't too big a problem outside, but they drive me crazy when trying to fall asleep.