Tourist visa update for 10 January 2024

Tourist eVisa's for Australian, Canadian and US citizens.

Brazil has officially launched the eVisa portal:

https://brazil.vfsevisa.com/

This means that, if you are travelling with an Australian, Canadian, or USA passport, and will enter Brazil on or after 10th January 2024, you will need an eVisa.

is this true? exemption >90 days

Type of visa required: Luckily US citizens are visa-exempt for a period of 90 days. However, some countries are not visa-exempt and will therefore need to apply for a Brazil Tourist Visa. Brazil visa cost: The Tourist visa is $80. Brazil visa processing time: 10 - 15 working days

12/03/23    is this true? exemption >90 daysType of visa required: Luckily US citizens are visa-exempt for a period of 90 days. However, some countries are not visa-exempt and will therefore need to apply for a Brazil Tourist Visa. Brazil visa cost: The Tourist visa is $80. Brazil visa processing time: 10 - 15 working days        -@lunamick

US, Canadian, and Australian citizens temporarily enjoyed a visa exemption under the last Brazilian administration.  That ends next month, now that the online visa application system is in place:

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … sitor-visa

is this true? exemption >90 daysType of visa required: Luckily US citizens are visa-exempt for a period of 90 days. However, some countries are not visa-exempt and will therefore need to apply for a Brazil Tourist Visa. Brazil visa cost: The Tourist visa is $80. Brazil visa processing time: 10 - 15 working days        -@lunamick

Even under the previous administration, US citizens were not "visa-exempt" to enter Brasil, the entry stamp in your US passport became your tourist visa valid for 90 days or the date written into your passport upon entry into the country. Brazil had only temporarily suspended/eliminated the application and fee process.

@abthree Thanks for sending the link!

Let me check this: if you already have a physical tourist visa in your US passport with validity remaining, (from a few years ago), you do not need to apply for this new visa until the original one expires? Correct?

12/04/23 Let me check this: if you already have a physical tourist visa in your US passport with validity remaining, (from a few years ago), you do not need to apply for this new visa until the original one expires? Correct?

-@Peter Itamaraca

That would be my assumption.   

Absolutely nothing has been published by any of the Consulates that I regularly check suggesting that any valid visas issued previously to the visa waiver period are being canceled prior to their expiration dates.

I have also been told that the Brazilian Consulate in Hartford, Connecticut is advising people to still apply for the physical one - lasts 10 years and costs less? No definite evidence of this, though...

@rraypoI arrived to Brazil in late October with a passport. I'd like to stay an additional 90 days and planning to get married with my Brazilian partner. Do I need to apply for evisa only to maintain being here legally or do I also need to request an extension from the federal police ?

@rraypo I arrived to Brazil in late October with a passport. I'd like to stay an additional 90 days and planning to get married with my Brazilian partner. Do I need to apply for evisa only to maintain being here legally or do I also need to request an extension from the federal police ?

@rraypo does this mean I can go to the federal police to request an extension without obtaining an evisa and simply use my passport? I arrived late Oct. 2023

@rraypo

@rraypo does this mean I can go to the federal police to request an extension without obtaining an evisa and simply use my passport? I arrived late Oct. 2023 and would like to remain here for another 90 days until I get married.

Wow, I applied for my Brazilian tourist visa online on Saturday and got it today (Tuesday). Must be a glitch because that isn't the normal level of Brazilian 'efficiency' that I am used to! KKKKK

@EricPau, I am not sure if you have seen the thread https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 44#5892397 from a week ago where it was mentioned that the e-visa requirement was moved to April 2025.

This may be the reason why people are no longer applying for e-visas.

04/09/24 @rraypo does this mean I can go to the federal police to request an extension without obtaining an evisa and simply use my passport? I arrived late Oct. 2023

-@Jeriloving33

Yes.  As long as you haven't overstayed yet, you should be able to get an extension.

Lol, well I guess I got a nine year visa instead of a 10 year visa! 😅

@EricPau See, another example of 'Brazilian efficiency'....  They keep the website open to allow folks to unnecessarily get the visa.

Still nothing announced formally in Brazil about this...

04/09/24    @EricPau See, another example of 'Brazilian efficiency'....  They keep the website open to allow folks to unnecessarily get the visa.   

-@EricPau

I think the reasoning is that the visa is going to be necessary anyway, and sooner rather than later -- it's hard to convince people who have only recently started visiting Brazil how unprecedented and, for want of a better word, abnormal it was for Bolsonaro to grant unilateral visa-free entry.  It was bound to be reversed as soon as he left office, and I'm sure that the only reason for the delay (aside from giving the affected countries a chance to make it reciprocal which only Japan took advantage of) was to try to make the electronic version work.

If I were still in a situation where I was not living in Brazil but visiting regularly, I'd go ahead and get the normal visa from the Consulate, and have one less thing to worry about for the next nine or ten years.

04/10/24. New Announcement from the US Embassy in Brasília today:

Message for U.S. Citizens: Postponement of Brazilian Visa Requirement to 2025

The Brazilian government postponed the visa requirement for U.S. nationals for one year.  On April 10, 2025, the Government of Brazil will reinstate a visa requirement for all U.S. nationals visiting Brazil, with an option for an e-visa for qualified applicants.  This date reflects a one-year postponement announced on April 9, 2024.

Currently, the visa fee is $80.90 with a 10-year validity.  For questions about the e-visa application procedures, visit the Brazilian government-authorized website, https://brazil.vfsevisa.com/

Please share this information with family, friends, and colleagues who are planning to visit.

I'd be willing to wager that in the end the requirement for a visa is going to be permanently dropped, if tourism continues its expansion. Here is one article: https://bric-group.com/article/tourism- … ing-august

and there are many others.  The tourism industry in Brazil is concerned the introduction of a visa requirement when the number from the USA are just beginning to rise will put a damper on it.  That is mainly why the congress stepped in and threatened legislation to override Lula.  If the numbers continue to be strong, which apparently is the forecast, then the requirement for a visa will be unceremoniously dropped. 

Yes, reciprocity is a nice idea, but when given the choice, $$$ wins.  As the old saying goes, follow the money.  Lula should pick up the phone and talk to Biden if he really wants in the visa waiver program.