Ecuador bound

Tired of Canada's ever increase political unrest and expenses, My partner and her younger boy are taking the plunge to Ecuador for a little cost relief.

We seek moderate temperature, a long growing season and a home that isn't rotting away in the rain, if this is possible. I hear concrete block homes act just like ovens and wooden structures decompose in the humidity and rain too fast. So I guess we are seeking a happy medium or something. We are purchasing to acquire the investors visa, but keeping it low cost to save money towards a longer more comfortable retirement.

I guess it will be a huge learning curve but I feel we are mostly up to the challenge, we just need to learn of the problem areas, and where the homes aren't likely to be washed away by torrential downfalls in the more mountainous regions (which are attractive to us by the way).

We hope to have boots on the ground to investigate in January, February or March, and will alot a large chunk of time to look around.

We also have considerations as shipping or  just replacing items, how to safely humanely move our pets (2 dogs and a cat) I read some airlines allow pets in the cabin, i just haven't determined which.

I had a friend from Canada who moved here. Her 2 cats were safely shipped by plane.  There was a weird thing where they ended up staying in Amsterdam ovenight, but arrived quite safe and sound.  An international pet moviing company, sorry that I do not know the name but google on internet in Canada.  I only moved with 1 cat so she could come under my seat on the plane, you have 1 pet under the seat per passenger, otherwise pet shipping companies do a good job usually.

thank you, i couldn't let them suffer in pet cargo not knowing how long between bathroom breaks for them. I'm just not sure how they do that.

good luck it sounds like you want a perfect world well it aint going to happen here if you pick cioast citys be ready to hear bongos and screaming from 10 pm till  sunrise these poeple have no respect for others and fireworks whenever  and remember this if its not nailed down locked up behind walls it will be gone. the natives drink like fish and driving is horn brakes and drive all over the road  we have lived in salinas for 2 yrs so this js our experiance    GOOD LUCK  pets get dogs trained as service dogs like we did 600 eack at home course and they can go on board with you

Do not be overly influenced by what the latter person said about pets. Also, I live in the southern mountains.  Everything varies widely, even inter-village. You need to try it to see if you like it. If you like fairly isolated living, you can always go into a village to get what you need and meet people. If you like city living , then do it.

I currently have a property available that you might be interested in looking at. I have lots of photos to show you and the property comes with enough space easily for your animals, also raised beds for gardening for vegetables, some fruits, a small greenhouse, a little chicken house and pen for the chickens to run about in and at the same time the house is very beautiful. And it is not built from concrete, nor wood but is adobe. The property is in the Sierra meaning mountains but is very close to the Pan America Highway if you wish to travel.  And there are good neighbors who help look after the property if you are away. If you are interested to know more, please simply say so and hopefully the moderator will explain how we can connect directly.

Hi, I would be interested in all the details regarding this property. Thank you.

Hi Trevor, My property is currently called by the locals, Casa Bonita, meaning pretty house. When I bought the property over 10 years ago it was a lovely adobe house sitting in the middle of a plowed field. It had no fencing, no walls, a few plants, no Bodega or storage space, no greenhouse, no chickens house, etc. So I have done a lot to make it something special.

Over the years I have used it as my home but also did a few years of Airbnb and a number of Home exchanges worldwide . I've had people from all over the world visit here and really like the property . In addition I should give you some details on where it is. The property is approximately 4,000 square meters which is almost 1 acre and is located in a village called Poalo, which is part of the Canton or metropolitan area of the city of Latacunga in Cotopaxi province. This puts the house approximately 1 km from the Pan America Highway which is the main route North and South in the whole of Ecuador and about 1.5 hours south of the city of Quito . The house itself is located on a paved Road that at the end about 1 km distance is the village's Centro De Salud which is the local free health center for basic problems. The Village also contains all levels of schools from kindergarten through to high school but students can also go to other schools elsewhere in the Latacunga area. Currently the property also has a public bus at a very modest price that passes regularly on the street right in front of the house, simply flag it down, and takes people from this area into the center of the city of Latacunga. So while it is classified as rural, it definitely has some attributes that many places in North America do not have as a rural place.

I have tried to copy some photos here to give you an idea what it looks like but if I find I cannot do this easily and I realize photos are important for you to have a sense if this appealing or not. Please send me your email or a WhatsApp connection so that I can give you images.

You may be wondering why I am selling but it's not because I do not like my place. I suspect I am significantly older than you and your partner, as I moved to Ecuador after I retired and I am now 77. Maintaining a property this large is simply fairly hard for someone of my age who lives alone and so I am in the process of moving to Quito. Nevertheless, this house has has been a very welcoming place and enjoyed by many and I would love it to go to others who appreciate its features which include a large organic garden, the organic greenhouse, a very nice planting of lavendin plants for production of essential oil, and a house that is quite comfortable and organic in its character. From a climate point of view, the temperatures here generally range in the daytime from 15 to about 22 celsius but often with sun. Night time does drop much lower but good for sleeping. This is also an area that grows plants year-round and of much diversity. I have everything from blackberries to banana trees growing here although I won't promise you the bananas make bananas but they do look nice and they are big some of them, like six meters or more. I have all kinds of vegetables I grow here many of which are North American types and some of which are a bit more unusual.

I hope my words entice you a little bit and that you will send me something like an email so I can actually send you photos because I cannot figure this platform out for sending photos. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon. But maybe I do have something I can give you in short term that might work to give you a little feel for the place. I do have a small website, www.rosehavenfarm.net and if you open this up you should see some images of the house but done a few years ago but still giving you a very good idea. However I have more current images and I also had some newly developed garden areas including a small garden pool that I thought you might like to see. So I hope this helps you and I look forward to responding to you if this appears interesting. Thank you so much for your interest, Linda Swaine

@Lindaecuador

Hello, feel free to create an advert in the Housing in Ecuador section should you want to advertise your property. You will be able to upload recent photos there.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna  thank you, I'll take a look at doing that very shortly. I do have some interesting images but I also need to connect with my agent for current information. I appreciate your response, Linda