Meeting expats

I am in Cebu city and moving into the Suite 181 at the Courtyards at Brookridge mid november, just wondering if there are any expats in that area and is there actually a gathering place for expats in Cebu city.

@windsurfer51

Head to the Ayala Mall cafés. That's where all the local expats hang out.

Tip: seat yourself an appropriate distance from the groups that form. Ear drop the conversation before introducing yourself. You may decide that these are acquaintances that you should keep at arms length..

I will be heading for Cebu City mid month (Im currently in Phnom Penh city) for a couple of days before taking the Seacat to Bohol.

Cebu city has one of the best jazz bars in the world: Jazz n Bluz  on Cabayug st. On FB. Great live acts. A discerning but small expat crowd with many Filipino professionals and their wives who you can have an intelligent conversation with.

@windsurfer51Head to the Ayala Mall cafés. That's where all the local expats hang out.

Isnt that same mall as the one which is the main hunting ground for gold digger Filipinas?   :)

The good news is windsurfer51, that you will NOT meet Coach53 in Cebu City.

@windsurfer51
Head to the Ayala Mall cafés. That's where all the local expats hang out.

Tip: seat yourself an appropriate distance from the groups that form. Ear drop the conversation before introducing yourself. You may decide that these are acquaintances that you should keep at arms length..

I will be heading for Cebu City mid month (Im currently in Phnom Penh city) for a couple of days before taking the Seacat to Bohol.
Cebu city has one of the best jazz bars in the world: Jazz n Bluz  on Cabayug st. On FB. Great live acts. A discerning but small expat crowd with many Filipino professionals and their wives who you can have an intelligent conversation with.

-@Lotus Eater

please tell us about your visit to Phnom Penh and your luxury spa experience.

The good news is windsurfer51, that you will NOT meet Coach53 in Cebu City.        -@mugteck

But you are correct. Tiny possiblity I will be in Cebu nor Manila except for passing, because I dont  like cities.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : Derogatory remark
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

The good news is windsurfer51, that you will NOT meet Coach53 in Cebu City.        -@mugteck****  big_smile.pngBut you are correct. Tiny possiblity I will be in Cebu nor Manila except for passing, because I dont  like cities.       

Am sure the cities feel the same way.  Of course I am correct,  How does it feel, to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone?

@coach53

But you are correct. Tiny possiblity I will be in Cebu nor Manila except for passing, because I dont  like cities.

A note of caution Coach. If you do check out my jazz bar recommendation in Cebu city the management operate a strict ' dress to impress' code.

That means you will have to remove your Viking helmet.

@windsurfer51Head to the Ayala Mall cafés. That's where all the local expats hang out. Tip: seat yourself an appropriate distance from the groups that form. Ear drop the conversation before introducing yourself. You may decide that these are acquaintances that you should keep at arms length..I will be heading for Cebu City mid month (Im currently in Phnom Penh city) for a couple of days before taking the Seacat to Bohol. Cebu city has one of the best jazz bars in the world: Jazz n Bluz  on Cabayug st. On FB. Great live acts. A discerning but small expat crowd with many Filipino professionals and their wives who you can have an intelligent conversation with.        -@Lotus Eaterplease tell us about your visit to Phnom Penh and your luxury spa experience.        -@Cherryann01

OK If the Forum Police will allow me a little diversion.

First time in this country which has quite a distinct culture. Arrival through PP airport was a breeze nothwitstanding the ‘visa on arrival' process which took about 5 minutes before heading through immigration (Visa fee $35). You must have $US with you. The greenback is dispensed at ATM's along with the local currency the Riel. Payment in bars and shops can be in either currency.

A very civilised drive from the airport into the city centre with one of the best metered taxi drives ever experienced. $15 flat fee. Taxi drivers tell you alot about a nations culture. Complete opposite to Manila. No hard breaking, no tail gating, no blaring of horns no ear splitting ‘Win Win Win'Radio (thats the Manila station most tone deaf taxi drivers listen to. After all the station ID's, the commercials and the DJ drivel you probably get to listen to 20 minutes of music,if you can call it that, in any ‘clock' hour.) Sorry I digress. In other words Less Stress.

I checked in to a charming boutique hotel, the Duong Chan. The reception I received was heavenly in a beautifully appointed lobby with a distinctive Khmer culture. Does it get any better? Yes. They upgraded me from a Deluxe balcony room to a premier Deluxe balcony room on a higher floor overlooking the city. A relaxing ambience pervades every inch of this privately run hotel. Highly recommended.

Oh yes Cherryann - the Cambodian Hair wash and shoulder massage. Managed to track down the salon that Jason Rupp (link below) used and Gale was there. Oh jeez - I'm still melting from the experience. Sublime. Cost $2. Heck I gave her $3! Going back again today and tommorrow and maybe the day after ..

This small city ooozes with character. A blend of French colonial and Khmer architecture with majestic boulevards and dinky little tree lined side streets dotted with cafés and bars. Best to explore by foot but there is always a Tuk Tuk waiting if necessary. Spent last night at a restaurant on the  palm tree lined waterfront talking with a banker from London who has been coming here for years. £2 ( $2.40 to our American friends) for a pint of the local brew Anker. Basic English is understood in most places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxNawB72xQ