My employer revoked my residence permit

Hello Everyone,

good evening,

I'm Malta TRC card holder. I come to my country in September. Then first of October i had a bike accident. I totally bed in Hospital. I give my employer all medical documents and i say please give me some days, I recover and back malta. But some days ago my employer revoke my residence permit. Now I'm abroad. What i do now? Can anyone please give some advice. Please.

Hello Everyone,
good evening,
I'm Malta TRC card holder. I come to my country in September. Then first of October i had a bike accident. I totally bed in Hospital. I give my employer all medical documents and i say please give me some days, I recover and back malta. But some days ago my employer revoke my residence permit. Now I'm abroad. What i do now? Can anyone please give some advice. Please.

-@neonkhan1999

I assume your employer terminated your employment, he can't revoke your residence permit, only Identity Malta can do that. If he has informed JobsPlus then they only allow 2 weeks for you to find another job and for the employer to apply for another work permit, if not you will not be allowed to reside in Malta.

im not sure about the laws but it doesnt sound legal as its very unfair

im not sure about the laws but it doesnt sound legal as its very unfair

-@georgeh19677

Very little is fair in Malta when it comes to TCNs!

Just look at the new rules coming in in Tourism, if you are a TCN foreigner working in tourism, then you need to pass an assessment to continue to work, if you fail you will be deported! If you are an EU foreigner they will just give you the certificate enabling you to carry on working.

im not sure about the laws but it doesnt sound legal as its very unfair        -@georgeh19677

Very little is fair in Malta when it comes to TCNs!
Just look at the new rules coming in in Tourism, if you are a TCN foreigner working in tourism, then you need to pass an assessment to continue to work, if you fail you will be deported! If you are an EU foreigner they will just give you the certificate enabling you to carry on working.

-@F0xgl0ve

Have you got any more information on this ruling? Would be interested to read up on it.

if you are a TCN foreigner working in tourism, then you need to pass an assessment to continue to work, if you fail you will be deported! If you are an EU foreigner they will just give you the certificate enabling you to carry on working.

While this is technically true, its not really true in spirit.  For next year its TCNs from the following year its TCNs, EU and Maltese.  Why leave out this final quite important detail?

if you are a TCN foreigner working in tourism, then you need to pass an assessment to continue to work, if you fail you will be deported! If you are an EU foreigner they will just give you the certificate enabling you to carry on working.     

While this is technically true, its not really true in spirit.  For next year its TCNs from the following year its TCNs, EU and Maltese.  Why leave out this final quite important detail?

-@volcane

Why not post a link which is important?

Oh I will https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/skills-card-rules-rolled-hospitality-workers-january.1063551

-@volcane

Because existing EU foreign workers in the tourism industry and Maltese will not have to take the assement at all, they will just be given a certificate whereas TCNs working in the industry WILL have to take the assessment and be liable to deportation if they fail.

EU foreigners and Maltese will only have to take the test if they are newcomers to the industry and at worst, they will not get a job in tourism if they fail!

Oh dear. Maltese media sensationalism.

The "skills card" will eventually become a requirement for everyone regardless of their nationality. This is improve the quality of workers and better match labour needs in the tourism and hospitality sector. The skills card initiative is set to be phased in gradually, starting with those workers who are still abroad and are in the process of applying for a visa, those who are new the tourism and hospitality sector, to be followed by workers who will be renewing their existing work permits, which in most cases is renewed annually.

As things currently stand, existing workers of all nationalities in this sector, would already be in possession of a Food Handlers Certificate. This is issued after attending an 8 hour course organised by a recognised ‘Food Hygiene Course Provider'  and passing an assessment. Once issued, the Food Handlers Certificate is valid for 5 years. This is a requirement that has been in place for a number of years, my son had to obtain this certificate around 18 years ago as a part time waiter during his student years. He is a Maltese born citizen, so this has never been anything to do with being Maltese, EU or TCN.

The new skills card will also include an English language proficiency test and foundational training in customer care, hospitality, and knowledge about Malta's tourist offerings.

As Volcane has correctly stated, from January 2025 the requirement of attending the course and passing the assessment will be extended to all Maltese and EU nationals working within the tourism industry.   

To quote F0xgl0ve ....

"TCNs working in the industry WILL have to take the assessment and be liable to deportation if they fail.

EU foreigners and Maltese will only have to take the test if they are newcomers to the industry and at worst, they will not get a job in tourism if they fail!"....... 

TCNs' work and residence permit is linked with their job. If they loose their job because they are not qualified for the role, they will automatically loose their work and residence permit and have 10 days to find another job before being liable for deportation, but there is nothing preventing a TCN from applying for any other job, that is not in tourism.