Your neighbours in Panama

Hello everyone,

When you move in Panama, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Panama:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Panama. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Panama?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Panama? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Panama?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Panama and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

My neighbors are all locals, and they have been wonderful, friendly, and welcoming. Be outgoing and friendly, and learn enough Spanish to make small talk and you'll have a great time. If you make friends with your neighbors they will also look out for you in a multitude of ways. The main thing I had trouble getting used to is if they want your attention, they will stand in the street and holler for you. We're so used to doorbells that my ears were oblivious to them calling. They also tend to just drop in, and they thought it was very odd when I'd call someone to find out if it was a convenient time for a visit.

Been in Panama since 2004 and kristc99 is ON POINT with everything he said.

We live in the Highlands in Chame not far from the well-known Altos del Maria gated community in a pueblito named Sora. Our neighbors are a mix of expats and, mostly, Panamanians.

They have been helpful in many ways  We've pulled together on issues of mutual interest or concern.

Although this is a bit off topic, I want to pass on a tip that took me a while to catch on to. It addresses vecinos (neighbors) in a broader sense.

When you enter a small space (a barber shop, doctor's office, fonda, erc.) greet everyone with a smile and a "Hola!" or a "Buenas tardes!"  It's friendly, respectful and neighborly.

Speak to others first. I make a habit of doing so, especially, to those who are "service" positions, like security guards, workers in stores or the local Pio Pio, etc. For those I see on a somewhat regular basis, after several encounters, I will ask, "Como es tu familia?"

I have STORIES about how taking even that small amount of interest in a person AS A PERSON can pay off in unexpected ways.

As a Panamanian, all I can say is that if you move to the country, like Chame, Boquete, etc. Don't try to be a savior.  If you don't have wonderful people as the 2 previous post, you might end up being a prey.

Panama is super small but widely diverse.  If you move to the country you might have a better paced daily live than moving to the city.  If I had the chance to pick a place to live (as an expat) I'd go to places like Sorá, Boquete, Mariato where there's a mix of locals and expats so you don't end up being "the attraction" of the town.

Call me 13455167619

@cgreenc1, Hello

Who is that you want to call you?

Damani

@Rush Alvarado

I agree with your perspective.

As mentioned, we live in Sora in the District of Chame.

As in most things, it's a matter of personal taste.  For my wife and I, for example, the idea of a "gated community" seemed too insular for our taste.  After living here for a while, we also realized that for those who 'assumed" a gate would provide more security were mistaken or misled.

As Rush mentioned, we truly enjoy the mixture of friendly neighbors we have. For us,....  We didn't relocate from the US to live in a nighborhood populated by mostly others from the US.

We are saddened that, due to health issues and changes in our family (four new great-grandchildren), after 19 years, we have decided to sell our home and return to the US so we can be closer to family.  That part lifts our spirits and makes us happy.

We hope whomever buys our home - Sunset Dreams - will love it and enjoy it - even half as much as we have.