Non-Immigrant Visa(O) 2023

Hello, I'm going to be going through the process of applying for a  Non-Immigrant Visa(O) very soon and I thought I'd create this thread for my questions and hopefully this will also help others.

I've done quite a bit of research on this and read a lot of posts on this forum so I hope my questions aren't too dumb. LeedsForever is an endless source of useful knowledge!

Some initial questions:

1. I have read that you can't apply for a visa more than 3 months before your planned arrival in Thailand. Is there also a minimum time for applying for this visa? I assume it has to do with how quickly these visas are being processed. Does anyone have recent experience with this? Is 1 month or 2 months a better timeframe?
  2. When applying for this visa you have to indicate when you will be arriving and even on what flight. Can this be adjusted later, e.g. if the visa doesn't get approved until later than you thought?

many thanks

Hello, I'm going to be going through the process of applying for a  Non-Immigrant Visa(O) very soon and I thought I'd create this thread for my questions and hopefully this will also help others.I've done quite a bit of research on this and read a lot of posts on this forum so I hope my questions aren't too dumb. LeedsForever is an endless source of useful knowledge!Some initial questions:I have read that you can't apply for a visa more than 3 months before your planned arrival in Thailand. Is there also a minimum time for applying for this visa? I assume it has to do with how quickly these visas are being processed. Does anyone have recent experience with this? Is 1 month or 2 months a better timeframe?When applying for this visa you have to indicate when you will be arriving and even on what flight. Can this be adjusted later, e.g. if the visa doesn't get approved until later than you thought? many thanks        -@rbakker

1)

When you have picked a departure date, apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O visa. Just get it over with. It's like you said,the validity is 90 days. I don't know where you come from, but applicants from most countries in Europe must apply via the official thai e-visa website. As long as your documents are in order incl.a 90 days health insurance, the application will be approved real fast. The start date (for the insurance) is the date of arrival.

2)

Arrival date and flight number must be entered when you apply for the visa and you just need a one way-ticket.

Thanks LeedsForever! I'm Canadian. We've communicated before on this forum but you help out so many people I don't expect you to remember me.

You said the application is "approved real fast" which is what I was hoping to hear. Is that a question of days, weeks or a month perhaps? Maybe someone else has been through this recently? I don't have a problem with buying the one-way ticket but I have to make sure I don't get one that too soon for the visa application approval.

Thanks LeedsForever! I'm Canadian. We've communicated before on this forum but you help out so many people I don't expect you to remember me.
You said the application is "approved real fast" which is what I was hoping to hear. Is that a question of days, weeks or a month perhaps? Maybe someone else has been through this recently? I don't have a problem with buying the one-way ticket but I have to make sure I don't get one that too soon for the visa application approval.

-@rbakker

Where talking about days. I don't think any physical person is involved in the process. Everything is about the documents. I remember you now. When are you thinking about coming? 

Hello

I am in the process of applying for the Non-

immigrant O as well. Also nicknamed the

Retirement Visa.

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/

I have about 30 days before my flight.

I got the fight first, the medical cert then

applied. I already have at least 90 days

left on my medical that I can use to apply.

My flight is for Oct 30. I first applied on Oct 4

and it initially had a problem with my credit

card I believe because I didn't use my middle

initial on the evisa page as it says on my card.

Under status It said Payment pending on the

evisa page. I didn't know what this meant so

I sent an email to the consulate and they

explained to try the payment again as it

didn't go through. They replyied within 24 hours.

You should send any question to the same

consulate you applied thru.

I applied again on Oct 6 and now under status

it says Processing. So hopefully late this week

I will get approval.

Good luck I know it can be stressful with a lot

of things to juggle!

Thank you both!!

My house is in the process of being sold, it looks like it'll all be sorted by the end of the month. It sounds like it's worth the risk to schedule my trip for the middle of next month. No doubt I'll have more questions.

Great to hear they can do it so quickly!

HelloI am in the process of applying for the Non-immigrant O as well. Also nicknamed the Retirement Visa.I have about 30 days before my flight.I got the fight first, the medical cert thenapplied. I already have at least 90 daysleft on my medical that I can use to apply.I believe it asked for financials as well. I have theBangkok Bank amount coveredMy flight is for Oct 30. I first applied on Oct 4and it initially had a problem with my creditcard I believe because I didn't use my middleinitial on the evisa page as it says on my card.Under status It said Payment pending on the evisa page. I didn't know what this meant soI sent an email to the consulate and they explained to try the payment again as itdidn't go through. They replyied within 24 hours.You should send any question to the sameconsulate you applied thru.I applied again on Oct 6 and now under statusit says Processing. So hopefully late this weekI will get approval.Good luck I know it can be stressful with a lotof things to juggle!        -@scbrock

"I am in the process of applying for the Non-

immigrant O as well. Also nicknamed the

Retirement Visa."

Not correct, there are several 90 days Non-immigrant O Visas, one of them is "based on retirement".

There are no questions about money in Thailand, just about having a certain amount of money in a bank back home the last 3 months.

This guy is from Canada.He's applying using the Thai e-visa website, not via an embassy or consulate.

On the evisa site it says submitted to "Royal Thai

Consulate-General, Los Angeles"

Currently the status is "Pending document Check"

On the evisa site it says submitted to "Royal Thai
Consulate-General, Los Angeles"
Currently the status is "Pending document Check"

-@scbrock

Thanks. Please let me know when it's approved, if you could.

@rbakker

Yes, I can I hope it will be late this week

On the evisa site it says submitted to "Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles"Currently the status is "Pending document Check"        -@scbrock

Thanks. Please let me know when it's approved, if you could.

-@rbakker

Just follow the instructions on the e-visa website when applying and submit the documents needed. A missing or wrong document is the only thing that can delay an application. It's quite straight forward.

On the evisa site it says submitted to "Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles"Currently the status is "Pending document Check"        -@scbrock

You're a US-citizen located in the US,right? You haven't applied via the official thai e-visa website. If you're located in the US you have to apply at an Embassy or Consulate. If located in a country on the official thai e-visa website list, you can only apply online. There are no other options.

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/

That is the website I applied to www.thaievisa.go.th.

I can't apply at the Los Angeles. Consulate, it's too far for a walk-in

And as I understand all the visa applications are made at the thaievisa website

That is the website I applied to www.thaievisa.go.th.I can't apply at the Los Angeles. Consulate, it's too far for a walk-inAnd as I understand all the visa applications are made at the thaievisa website        -@scbrock

There are many countries in the list which are not eligible for online applications. They still have to apply at embassies or consulates. There's a Check-button to see if you can apply online.

@rbakker

My visa was approved today. Not bad only

took 4 work days. Non-Imm O for 90 days

@rbakker
My visa was approved today. Not bad only
took 4 work days. Non-Imm O for 90 days

-@scbrock

As I said in an earlier post,everything is about the required documents. If everything is in order there are no problems what so ever. People complaining about delays have made a mistake when they submitted the paperwork. And one more time, you applied for the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa  based on retirement,nothing else.

I'm a little surprised it was completed so quickly

especially since it will be starting the high season soon

when I would expect the visa requests would be increasing

Maybe they increased their staff who knows I'm just

glad it came through.

Hopefully by November the rain will be letting up

I'm a little surprised it was completed so quicklyespecially since it will be starting the high season soonwhen I would expect the visa requests would be increasingMaybe they increased their staff who knows I'm justglad it came through.Hopefully by November the rain will be letting up        -@scbrock

How many minutes do you think it takes to check submitted documents on a computer? 5? I assure you,they haven't increased their staff. Every Thai embassy/consulate has a bare minimum of staff, handling consular services. The vast majority of tourists during the high season arrives on 30 days visa exempts,meaning they dont apply for any type of visas.

Thank you for the update scbrock! That is good news.

I assume you had to specify on what date and even which flight you will be arriving?

Any lessons learned from filling in the form?

And also thanks to LeedsForever for your insights.

Thank you for the update scbrock! That is good news.I assume you had to specify on what date and even which flight you will be arriving?Any lessons learned from filling in the form?And also thanks to LeedsForever for your insights.        -@rbakker

Why don't you register and check out requirements and the form yourself? You don't have to submit the application. Just stop and log out,then continue next time you log in. You seem to worry a lot. This is just a simple online application plus documents to submit,nothing else.

@rbakker

i am going thru same process rb…..that said, i applied early, wanting to make sure if i screwed up i still had time to fix things! fair amount of paperwork required and i am not super computer literate.i finally got all info entered and sent off application. NY consulate was really good. needed to change a few things. after fixing mistakes they sent me email said application was complete and would be sent thru for approval but that i wouldnt get any info until Mid November since my flight is December 1. still a bit unnearving  as the times are so tight but i think im good to go. i just think they issue a couple weeks before trip as many visas are shorter time amd losing a couple of weeks makes a difference.

hope this helps amd good luck with the relo🙏🏻✌🏻

@rbakkeri am going thru same process rb…..that said, i applied early, wanting to make sure if i screwed up i still had time to fix things! fair amount of paperwork required and i am not super computer literate.i finally got all info entered and sent off application. NY consulate was really good. needed to change a few things. after fixing mistakes they sent me email said application was complete and would be sent thru for approval but that i wouldnt get any info until Mid November since my flight is December 1. still a bit unnearving  as the times are so tight but i think im good to go. i just think they issue a couple weeks before trip as many visas are shorter time amd losing a couple of weeks makes a difference.hope this helps amd good luck with the relo🙏🏻✌🏻        -@Eastcoast steven

"i just think they issue a couple weeks before trip as many visas are shorter time."

This is not true. They are supposed to approve the application when it's received,normally within a week if there are many applications, (which there aren't) and issue the visa. It's not their business that your flight is in December. You might have a reason for applying early,and applying in October when the departure is in December isn't actually early,it's quite normal. It's just the Thai way,and it also depends on the embassy/consulate. Some are  fast and some ridiculously slow.

@rbakker

Don't know that I can give any helpful tips

They ask a fair number of questions.

They do ask about the flight. They wanted

a medical certificate, address of where I will

stay. Many obvious ques you would expect

I was a little surprised of how quickly it was

approved. It only took 4 working days the

last time I went thru this it took about twice

that long.

As an aside the next time I get a passport I

am going to get the larger pp with the extended

number of pages it has 52 I believe and it costs

the same. I have 6 years left on this one and only

about 8 pages left. But that's another topic ...

@rbakker
i am going thru same process rb…..that said, i applied early, wanting to make sure if i screwed up i still had time to fix things! fair amount of paperwork required and i am not super computer literate.i finally got all info entered and sent off application. NY consulate was really good. needed to change a few things. after fixing mistakes they sent me email said application was complete and would be sent thru for approval but that i wouldnt get any info until Mid November since my flight is December 1. still a bit unnearving  as the times are so tight but i think im good to go. i just think they issue a couple weeks before trip as many visas are shorter time amd losing a couple of weeks makes a difference.
hope this helps amd good luck with the relo🙏🏻✌🏻

-@Eastcoast steven

Surprised to hear they would wait that long to send approval.

I would think when you get a yes or no depends on how soon

it get thru the system not when your departure date is ...

@Leeds forever!

thanks Leeds….new to board and appreciate the feedback. will call NY consul on Monday and get clarification.  definitely dont want to wait until mid november to have visa.

thanks again

✌🏻🙏🏻

@Leeds forever!

Hi,

I was just reading the replies to that chaps questions about Non lmmigrant O Visa for Thailand. I saw your "Leeds Forever" response, which made me smile.

I have lived in Thailand for 22 years but, was born, raised and worked in Leeds for 42 years!

Just thought l would say hello to a fellow Leeds Lad.

Cheers.

Tim.***

Moderated by Cheryl 7 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Leeds forever!
I have lived in Thailand for 22 years but, was born schooled and worked in Leeds for the first 42 years of my life.
It made me smile to see a "Leeds Forever" on the thai expat website.
I haven't been back for many years. Thoughts of Leeds, made me a little misty-eyed. Ha ha.
Cheers.
Tim.
[link under review]

To bad Leeds United got demoted last year. It sucks big time,but they've been playing real bad for a couple of years. I wonder how long it will take to reach PL again.

-@walkingpoint

@Leeds forever!

hey leeds, just a follow-up as it seems you answer many comments on the site. i spoke with a supervisor at NY consulate yesrerday. she said they submit the application within 2 weeks of the scheduled trip. she explained if she sends it too early, it is returned to her and she is told to submit two weeks prior to trip. she clearly had my ap on file and said she would try to submit 1 week earlier as she understands my anxiety of getting the visa. im pretty sure most of your advice that i have seen on the site is solid so please,dont take this as ”i told you so” just passing on my experience.

best of luck

✌🏻🙏🏻

steven

An update: I have filled in most of the visa application form but I'm just waiting for my house sale to finalise  before I pull the trigger and I hit Submit.

I did notice that unlike when I did a dry run a month ago there is no longer a requirement to post a photo of me with my passport and also no requirement to show that I've purchased Thai health insurance! Has anybody else noticed this?

What happens after I hit submit, is it just the case that I have to pay the visa application fee or do they ask for more information. As I said, I don't want to hit submit just yet, probably in the next few days.

Thanks in advance

An update: I have filled in most of the visa application form but I'm just waiting for my house sale to finalise  before I pull the trigger and I hit Submit.I did notice that unlike when I did a dry run a month ago there is no longer a requirement to post a photo of me with my passport and also no requirement to show that I've purchased Thai health insurance! Has anybody else noticed this?What happens after I hit submit, is it just the case that I have to pay the visa application fee or do they ask for more information. As I said, I don't want to hit submit just yet, probably in the next few days.Thanks in advance        -@rbakker

Just do exactly what it says and you'll be ok.  The health insurance part is a bit strange,but if it's not mentioned,what can you do?  Have you checked the requirements at the Thai Embassy in Ottawa (if there are any)? You picked the correct Non-immigrant O visa=Retirement (aged 50)? If you did, just hit the Submit-button and see what happens.

Thanks for your response LeedsForever.

I'll be going through the consulate in Vancouver. Indeed, I shall just follow what the site says, I'm glad they have simplified things.

I did indeed pick the Non-Immigrant O visa. The wording now is slightly diferent. Under Purpose of Visit I had to choose "Retirement (aged 50)" and then it fills in for you Visa Type: Non-Immigrant Visa(O).

Thanks for your response LeedsForever.I'll be going through the consulate in Vancouver. Indeed, I shall just follow what the site says, I'm glad they have simplified things. I did indeed pick the Non-Immigrant O visa. The wording now is slightly diferent. Under Purpose of Visit I had to choose "Retirement (aged 50)" and then it fills in for you Visa Type: Non-Immigrant Visa(O).        -@rbakker

Don't forget that this is a Thai website (and quite new), and the design is not very good. Just read the requirements for 90 days Non-immigrant O Visas (before you log in) where they have for some reason forgotten the one based on retirement. That's why a lot of retirees get worried and think that particular visa doesn't exist anymore.

There are always strange explanations no one understands and when a new version is released something has changed but for no good reason. Go figure.

The only smart thing is the possibility to stop and click save and continue later.

Hi scbrock,  I assume you must be in Thailand by now or about to depart. Please let me know how it is going!

I just submitted my visa application two days ago and it's still being Processed.

Once I get there I intend to (as per LeedsForever's advice) get a condo and a phone asap so I can open a bank account asap and get the 800K in there to start the clock ticking. 60 days after that I can apply for the extension. I assume you will be doing the same?

I've been looking at condos on fazwaz.com and sent emails asking if they are still available.

Any advice gratefully received!

@rbakker

Glad to hear you submitted for your visa!

Hopefully it will only be a few more days

before you hear by email. You can bring a

hard copy with you if you like to Thailand but

it will be in their system.

I own my condo so I didn't spend time looking

at lodging but I've found Agoda.com has some

great deals. But Fazwaz may be better for long

term. Didn't they ask during the visa process

where you are staying or you are looking

further ahead?

I have a bank account with Bangkok Bank but

recommend them at least when I applied they

were the easiest to get approval from. Keep in

mind with just about any kind of transaction

with the bank you need to bring your passport.

I have a phone I just use in Thailand and just

renewed with my DTAC provider. The package

I got was I paid up front for the year. It comes

out to about $4.25USD a month. 100Gig download

a month with unlimited calls to others with DTAC,

About 7cents a minute international calls. I think

60 minutes per month to non dtac people.

There may be better packages to be found but

thought this is good enough.

Best of luck in your process!

Thanks scbrock!

Glad to hear it's going well. On my application I just put down the hotel I'll be staying at when I arrive. As soon as I get to Chiang Mai I'll try to get a condo, seems a bit difficult to do that from Canada.

With a condo and a phone I assume it wasn't too hard to open a bank account? Do you remember what you had to show? Did it all get done quickly?

That phone deal sounds great, I'll look out for any DTAC stores.

Enjoy Thailand!

Thanks scbrock!
Glad to hear it's going well. On my application I just put down the hotel I'll be staying at when I arrive. As soon as I get to Chiang Mai I'll try to get a condo, seems a bit difficult to do that from Canada.

With a condo and a phone I assume it wasn't too hard to open a bank account? Do you remember what you had to show? Did it all get done quickly?

That phone deal sounds great, I'll look out for any DTAC stores.

Enjoy Thailand!

-@rbakker

At Bangkok Bank they will ask for either a Residence Certificate from the local immigration office or the equivalent from the Canadian Embassy or consulate. But you need a permanent address first and a phone number, Dtac is imo good. You'll find Dtac stores in malls and in supermarkets like BigC. Remember, you must have 800k in a bank account 2 months prior to the day you apply for the 1 year extension. This is non-negotiable at immigration.

Thanks for the reminder LeedsForever. I'll try to get that bank account opened and 800k in there as soon as I possibly can. I just tried out Wise (for the money transfer) and it seems to work great.

Thanks for the reminder LeedsForever. I'll try to get that bank account opened and 800k in there as soon as I possibly can. I just tried out Wise (for the money transfer) and it seems to work great.

-@rbakker

You can only send amounts larger than ฿50k via Wise if you're banking with Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank or SCB. With these banks the maximum amount is ฿2million. Bangkok Bank is imo the best bank when transferring money using Wise.

-@rbakker

If trying at Kasikorn Bank,they will probably ask for  a work permit or if you're lucky ask if you you're on a retirement visa. K-Banks official requirements for opening savings accounts changed in Q2 2019. Before that a retirement visa or a 1 year extension was ok. Now not so much,BUT,many branches in areas with lots of foreigners still uses the old requirements.When I opened a savings account at K-Bank years ago,they just wanted to see the "Retirement" stamp in my passport,and there were many + ฿10.000 deposit. It still works like that in several branches,but I haven't got a clue about CM.You can always check it out. There are many branches.

The K-bank branch that I went to also wanted a Thailand phone number and they setup the bank app on my cellphone before I left.

I do no know if it was really required or just a service they did for me.  I use the cellphone app.

So it was good for me.