We are just joined Ecuador Forum.

My name is Ed Kats and my wife is Klaudia. It seemed that fate guided us through so many destinations but, every time we filled, what would be best for us is be close to the children. A long time ago we emigrated from Kyiv Ukraine to Rome Italy. Then Miami Beach Florida, and after that Palo Alto California- after San Francisco - Rhodes Island Greece feature relocated to Athens, not far from Acropolice. Well, the next step we would like to be closer to children, grandchildren so - we chose Manaba Ecuador. Realistically, we are not that afraid of being attacked and robbed, killed, etc... Our profession, we are professional musicians, and singers, and I, Ed - have been in so many situations among so dangerous people but - nobody ever assaulted me. On the other hand, would be nice to get good advice on how things are going in Manaba Ecuador. We love to be close to the water.

Hi! We live in Manta (Manabi County). We are from Florida and have lived here for 15 months. As for crime; like any other country and larger cities, there are areas we try to avoid. Guayaquil is an entire city we try not to go to except on trip to get visas.

In Manta, there was the mayor who was assassinated. The murders are political or cartel related for 90% of the time. Pickpockets, etc. happen though we have not experienced this either. We carry phones in front pockets and we do not wear expensive jewelry.

The majority of the Ecuadorian people are very kind, gracious and helpful!

You do need to watch for "being gringo'd" in stores or taxis where you can get charged an extra dollar or so. After you speak with other gringos and gain experience with taxis, you know what the charge will be to your common destinations! Taxis are the mode of transportation for about 90% of gringos since they are much cheaper than owning a vehicle. There are 3,000 taxis in Manta. Similar to what you would see in New York.

As mentioned, Guayaquil  and Esmeraldas are two cities we don't frequent due to the higher gang/cartel population in those cities.

We love it here in Manta and the construction industry is booming!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Jim

perhaps someone could answer my question.

i plan on taking the bus from Guayaquil to cuenta.

i will have 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons allowable from the airline.

will it be allowed on the bus? i have googled for answer but cannot find it.

moving to ecuador is a big step for me, but if all goes well it might turn out pretty good.@cpt100ton

There are many bus and taxi options at various low prices for Guayaquil - Cuenca - all of them will allow your luggage.  Some of them may want to charge a bit extra but considering you can make the trip for as little as $10 or so, it's not a deal breaker.

You could do an internet search for

guayaquil to cuenca ecuador

and get many options including cheap flights.

@cpt100ton

It is so nice of you for the information you share with us. Thank You Very Much.

I am Ed. Kats. Professional Musician. Many Albums. Worked at the time with big stars.

In my 77 years of life travel who knows where! In Florida, we resided in Miami Beach. 1977-1980.

Then Palo Alto CA. Next to Stanford. Life dictated us to get a second profession.

So, we became a Hair Designer and owner of Beauty Parla "Jazz For Hair"

Worked just about everywhere. Probably the most dangerous was Key Marathon FL.

Oh well. I still have never experienced being robbed, etc...  Honestly  - so far have remained fearless.

Well. let's hope for the best.

Good luck to you and your family.

Sincerely, Kladua and Ed.

@edklaudio

Hi Ed, one piece of advice about the residence you choose if you come here: Do your due diligence when looking for a place (If you are going to rent vs. purchase). Rentals are a big hit or miss!! Some are great and others can be a hassle. I suggest reaching out to someone like Ecuador Shores Realty (he is an expat with youtube videos). He sells and rents and will take care of your needs! Good luck! Maybe we will see you at an Expat dinner!!

@cpt100ton Thank You Very Much. We will do that. Stay safe and enjoy Life! KLAUDIA & ED.

I live in Puerto Lopez, which has the nicest beach I have ever seen. My house was 30K. Gangs run the town they shot the Mayor elect a couple months ago, and the City Administrator appointed to replace him last week. I bought the house off Craig's List in Vancouver and got lucky, except a couple of my neighbors are Ndrenghata Italian Mafia. I think you need Property investment of $44K for an Investors Visa. It's based on Municipal Appraisal and mine came in at $47K. I used my Pension for a Visa. A bit violent here right now, if that doesn't phase you it's great here. Little Joke: I have been on this earth for 73yrs. and if you travel freely around Ecuador I might catch up to you...lol.

@B.Bindon Unfortunately, Puerto Lopez has had a lot of problems historically. And it is because the cartel operates out of there (among other places like Guayaquil). The bummer is, it is a beautiful beach with great night spots! Best of luck!

Spell checks...

Manabí  (mah-nah-BEE)

Cuenca, not Cuenta