Cashing a check

Greeting!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to cash a US issued check?

Called many banks here in Hungary and Germany, Switzerland, UK, Serbia but none will do. Western unions and currency exchange places won't cash either.

Thanks,

Lilly

Hi Lilly. I guess this won't be easy at all, because despite being pretty old already I can hardly remember having ever seen a cheque. Do you mean something like an American Express Traveler's Cheque? Good luck with that. Cheers ...

This link may help answer your question as far as the UK banking system is concerned.  It may be easier to just transfer the cash from the US bank direct into your account.

@nz7521137 Hi, it's a USA treasury issued check, and normally I'd deposit it through my bank's app but this one is over the monthly limit. Can't cut the check up 😂😂 My bank won't raise the limit, and it's nearly impossible to talk to anyone at social security to have them issue several checks instead. I left them emails and voice mails, it's been weeks and still no answer. Even if I'd get some answer from them I'm afraid it's going to take them another year to issue the new partial amount checks. This check is too high of an amount because it's backpay for more than a year..

@Cynic hi, I've been told by UK banks that if I have an account I could deposit the check but being a non resident is not possible to open one to begin with.

Unfortunately I can't ask them to wire it, it's complicated and I'm happy that I got paid as it is..

@Lilly76 Can't you send the cheque to a friend in the US who will cash it and transfer the funds electronically into your account? Just wondering. I really didn't know that cheques were still used.

Sounds like you have a US bank account. So use your bank's bank-by-mail service and send it by post. So long as you put an appropriate restrictive endorsement on it nobody can steal the check and deposit it in their own account.

But honestly, you're wasting your time trying to find a bank outside the US that will cash that check for a non-account holder. Isn't going to happen.

@Lilly76 Can't you send the cheque to a friend in the US who will cash it and transfer the funds electronically into your account?

US banks will not accept an endorsed US Treasury check to be cashed by another person. This is an issue of fraud prevention. Only the person with the name on the check can cash a Treasury check.

Sounds like you have a US bank account. So use your bank's bank-by-mail service and send it by post.

Some US banks may allow a person with a US bank account to submit a photo or scan of an endorsed check for cashing. Which, if available, is faster and more secure than mail. It seems some banks have an upper limit on the amount of the check for this online option. So mail may be a good alternative, if available.

@nz7521137 ...and it's nearly impossible to talk to anyone at social security to have them issue several checks instead..

If this is a US SS issue, you can also ask (wiite a letter by snail mail or log into your SS account and see if there is an option there) that your SS payments be added to a SS Debit Card instead of them issuing you checks.

I think the OP already said she can't scan and deposit using online banking because the check's over the monthly deposit limit and the bank won't raise it.

Greeting!

Called many banks here in Hungary and Germany, Switzerland, UK, Serbia but none will do. Western unions and currency exchange places won't cash either.

Thanks,

Lilly
-@Lilly76

Best to avoid such situations since bank transfers rather than personal checks are the standard in the EU. I can say that in Germany it is difficult. A couple of years ago I had the same situation and my advisor at Commerzbank said it would be possible for one with an account there, like myself, but would take about a month or so to clear and the fee was something like 30 to 40 Euros. I maintain a credit union account in the States and got it deposited there instead. I can do online banking with them but even online, a transfer from them to my German account would have meant a large fee.

I have a trusted relative that I gave signature authority over my credit union account to - and they have an account at a different bank that does bank transfers for free. Apparently fees structures vary widely in the States. One has to be careful though since some banks might give really poor exchange rates and in the end one could end up with less in their account for a larger transfer than through a bank with a hefty fee but better exchange rates.

And of course it is difficult for American expats to have foreign accounts at all. My Commerzbank account is only allowed since I am a legal resident of Germany. Since about 4 years it is limited to a Giro account and no investments, which is usually standard in Germany despite that I actually have German citizenship as well as US.

I am simple, not a US citizen, but EU living in Turkey. Just transfer once a BIG amount, yes expensive (0.15%)

But once done is it is done, we can live for many years with the balance, why to do 20 or 30 transfers. Just once is fine.

Seperate transfers (every month for example) will throw away money.

I have to day (for Hungary) OTP has been accomodating over time

Best to avoid such situations since bank transfers rather than personal checks are the standard in the EU.

This seems to be a USA Social Security check. Thre is no way "to avoid this". As the US government does not direct deposite to bank accounts outside the USA.

Yes, that is silly, given that US Dollar is an international currency, but that is the way it is.

No, Social Security will direct deposit monthly retirement benefits into accounts outside the U.S.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/countrylist6.htm

The OP's check though seems to be a one-off payment that may not qualify for the same treatment as monthly benefits.

No, Social Security will direct deposit monthly retirement benefits into accounts outside the U.S.
https://www.ssa.gov/international/countrylist6.htm

In theory. Have you tried it? :-)

If anyone has success, let me know. Dealing with payments from the IRS and SS has to me been diffult at best. So would apprecate any real world experience that gave results. Not just web site links. Heart fealt regards to anyone who can give real answers with real results.

Plenty plenty of people overseas are getting SS retirement checks deposited into their overseas accounts.

Do some real research yourself before posting bad advice again and  shamelessly trying to throw shade on posters here who -- unlike you -- do know what they are talking about.

Plenty plenty of people overseas are getting SS retirement checks deposited into their overseas accounts.
Do some real research yourself before posting bad advice again and shamelessly trying to throw shade on posters here who -- unlike you -- do know what they are talking about.
-@zif

This the Hungarian forum.

Do you have actual factual facts of American expats getting direct depoists in Hungary? The statement of simply "overseas accounts" is  vauge and disengenous.

What may be avaiable and easy in other countries is not necearrily relevant to expats in Hungary.

So please, asking kindly, if you can give specific and exact examples to expats in Hungary that would be nice. And avoid saying I am giving bad advice till you do so.

If you can give specific,, detailed and exact advice as I requested, then I will of course give full and complete mea culpa.

Hello everyone,

The last posts are not helping at all. They are only a clash between 2 members... I would request that we get back to the initial question.

Regards

Bhavna

Greeting!

Thanks,

Lilly
-@Lilly76

Hello everyone,

The last posts are not helping at all. I have removed 2 of them which seem to be a clash between 2 members... I would request that we get back to the initial question.

Regards

Bhavna