Working status and retirement

Hi everyone

I heard there is a legal way to work even as a retired person. It is as if you are the owner but on the Thai law you are not. Of course you will have Thai people as director and so on. Has anyone seen heard experienced this. Would appreciate some feedback. Thank you

Hi everyone
I heard there is a legal way to work even as a retired person. It is as if you are the owner but on the Thai law you are not. Of course you will have Thai people as director and so on. Has anyone seen heard experienced this. Would appreciate some feedback. Thank you
-@North24

As a retiree you can't get a visa based on business or a work permit. That's the idea about being officially retired. You can officially work if you're married to a thai and your visa/permission of stay is based on marriage. Then you're not retired even if you have reached retirement age back home.

Hi there,

What work is it you are wanting to do? What visa are you on?

There are always things that can be done.  Which part of Thailand do you live in?

William

@leeedsforever, that is not quite true, as a retiree and invited by an employer you can work even after retirement age. You move to Non B, or Non O marriage, and you will require the work permit.

However when you are over 65 you cannot get Social Security anymore.

We just hired a lady of 74 .... and I myself are over retirement age as well

It seems that the OP has a slightly different question, but as minority owner of a Thai company (fulfilling all requirements) you can get a work permit if the company works within the Foreign Business Act

@WFrisby87

Hi.

Thank you..my question is simple and know the answer. But what do you mean ....are there some legal (ilegal) workaround if you have a retirement visa ?

Cheers

Google Foreign Business Act and you will see the trades that are forbidden for foreigners (to invest AND to work in)

@martinoo2002 ok. So If I am a retired person in my country I understand that I still could work if I do not ask for a retired visa. And being married to a Thai lady would allow me to work with a Thai wife or family visa. Now can I move from a retired visa to family visa..I suppose it is possible when you need to renew it and in this case could I work knowing that I had been on a retired visa....?

Am I clear ?

Not completely....I think.

Your Visa does not entitle you to work, the work permit does, which is a separate procedure.

But with a retirement visa you cannot get the work permit. With a Non O based on marriage you can, the best way is a Non B (business visa) but I am not 100% sure you can get that through and with a new company set-up with no business history.

The financial requirements are easier for 'marriage' visa, it needs more documentation but nothing unreasonable. You can get the needed documentation at your local immigration office, which is better than scooping it of the internet as sometimes different IO have different requirements. 

@leeedsforever, that is not quite true, as a retiree and invited by an employer you can work even after retirement age. You move to Non B, or Non O marriage, and you will require the work permit.
However when you are over 65 you cannot get Social Security anymore.
We just hired a lady of 74 .... and I myself are over retirement age as well
It seems that the OP has a slightly different question, but as minority owner of a Thai company (fulfilling all requirements) you can get a work permit if the company works within the Foreign Business Act
-@martinoo2002

You're not very bright. I said you can't work when officially retired in Thailand. Officially retired means you're on a permission of stay based on retirement. This is not very hard to understand.

@WFrisby87
Hi.
Thank you..my question is simple and know the answer. But what do you mean ....are there some legal (ilegal) workaround if you have a retirement visa ?
Cheers
-@North24

No,when on a retirement visa/extension based on retirement you're not allowed to work. Period. You have to change the reason for the annual extension, like getting married or get a work permit,because then you're not retired.

@martinoo2002 ok. So If I am a retired person in my country I understand that I still could work if I do not ask for a retired visa. And being married to a Thai lady would allow me to work with a Thai wife or family visa. Now can I move from a retired visa to family visa..I suppose it is possible when you need to renew it and in this case could I work knowing that I had been on a retired visa....?
Am I clear ?
-@North24

When doing the next 1 year extension, if married to a thai, you can change the reason for the extension to based on marriage. You must have copies of your marriage license from the district office. Then you must have either 400k baht in a Thai bank account or 40k/month income There's no such thing as a family visa.

Thanks to all...I think I understand now. It has been helpful.

Cheers

-@martinoo2002
You're not very bright. I said you can't work when officially retired in Thailand. Officially retired means you're on a permission of stay based on retirement. This is not very hard to understand.
-

As a retiree you can't get a visa based on business or a work permit. That's the idea about being officially retired. You can officially work if you're married to a thai and your visa/permission of stay is based on marriage. Then you're not retired even if you have reached retirement age back home.

-@Leeds forever!

Here you wrote something that to me reads that people that are at or above retirement age cannot work and that is incorrect.

That it needs another type of visa then retired is clear and evident to me as I informed the OP.

-@martinoo2002
-

-@Leeds forever!
Here you wrote something that to me reads that people that are at or above retirement age cannot work and that is incorrect.
That it needs another type of visa then retired is clear and evident to me as I informed the OP.
-@martinoo2002

I have said nothing about any retirement age in Thailand and not being able to work. Maybe if you read slower even you might understand simple English. The retirement age back home has nothing to do with being officially retired in Thailand. Which part of being officially retired in Thailand don't you understand? I have already explained to the OP the correct way. FYI, you don't have a visa when in Thailand. You're on a permission of stay. It's the reason for the stay you have to change to be able to work.

Sure