Question about Leases

Hi new Expat friends,

You've all been so helpful with my question about utilities, I've got another question about leases!

As mentioned, I'm preparing for a 6 month sabbatical starting in September and am searching for housing. I've been looking at sites like ddproperty, propertyscout and Thailand housing and they all seem to need a 1 year lease.

Any advice on where to search to find apartments willing to rent for shorter term leases?

Alternately, what are the typical penalties for breaking a lease early? I'm not the type of person to normally do that sort of thing, but the general advice is to avoid AirBnb so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi new Expat friends,
You've all been so helpful with my question about utilities, I've got another question about leases!

As mentioned, I'm preparing for a 6 month sabbatical starting in September and am searching for housing. I've been looking at sites like ddproperty, propertyscout and Thailand housing and they all seem to need a 1 year lease.

Any advice on where to search to find apartments willing to rent for shorter term leases?

Alternately, what are the typical penalties for breaking a lease early? I'm not the type of person to normally do that sort of thing, but the general advice is to avoid AirBnb so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
-@Asyrol

You haven't mentioned where in Thailand you will be staying.

@Leeds forever!

ah! So sorry, I'm planning on staying in Bangkok

@Leeds forever!
ah! So sorry, I'm planning on staying in Bangkok
-@Asyrol

May I ask why Bangkok?

I have some friends of friends who live in Bangkok, as well I have some medical conditions which benefit from being in proximity to Bangkok hospital (I've already checked with the major hospital in Phuket and they don't have the ability to treat my condition).

That said, I'm not 100% locked to Bangkok, I'm open to other places so long as I'm in close enough proximity to get to Bangkok easily.

I have some friends of friends who live in Bangkok, as well I have some medical conditions which benefit from being in proximity to Bangkok hospital (I've already checked with the major hospital in Phuket and they don't have the ability to treat my condition).
That said, I'm not 100% locked to Bangkok, I'm open to other places so long as I'm in close enough proximity to get to Bangkok easily.
-@Asyrol

There's Bangkok Hospital Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road. Basically same hospital. No need to go to Bangkok. Most likely easier to find a short term lease here compared to Bangkok.

I'll reach out to them and see if they're equipped, but Bangkok Hospital Phuket wasn't so I'm not holding my breath.

That said, Pattaya isn't *that* far away from Bangkok so it might be an option.

I'll reach out to them and see if they're equipped, but Bangkok Hospital Phuket wasn't so I'm not holding my breath.
That said, Pattaya isn't *that* far away from Bangkok so it might be an option.
-@Asyrol

You can take the air-con bus from Pattaya to Bangkok. It takes maybe 2 hours 15 min. A one way ticket cost about ฿115.

@Leeds forever! that's great info, thank you!

Airbnb? But most condo's will go for 6 months, those are private owners usually

Airbnb? But most condo's will go for 6 months, those are private owners usually
-@martinoo2002

How will you find those condos? Go knocking door to door? If you're looking for condos online, you'll see that most realtors demands a 1 year contract. Short term leases are not very common online,they do exist,but aren't that easy to find. Private owners uses realtors as well. This is one reason airbnb exists.