Malaysia needs an Ambulance Service

I am hoping that through our expat.com communication channels we can draw attention to a situation that I have long considered needs to be seriously considered by the authorities here in this wonderful country.

it concerns having a national AMBULANCE SERVICE.

(Note that I said NATIONAL ambulance service, because there are already a number of very small private services that operate in some places).

Indeed, I would understand that many readers would raise an eyebrow at this topic. Why should we discuss this?

Well, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, many (if not most) of the expats are likely to be in the upper ages. This of course is the situation with the local people too, anyway.

This is when the need for a life saving ambulance could well be more likely to occur, naturally.

What I have observed in my many years as an expat here is that, whilst there is often a PRIVATE ambulance service, there is no NATIONAL ambulance service.

Speaking as someone from a British background I have always known about a national ambulance service. No question. If you witness a traffic accident or a local disaster of  some sort that has resulted in serious injury, or someone having a heart attack in UK, then quite simply you dial just one dedicated, well

know telephone number, Viz 999, and ask for the ambulance service. Usually, within a few minutes, an ambulance from the local public ambulance service arrives, manned by first aiders/paramedics plus medical equipment  and they deal with the situation to save a life, or several lives ( in the case of a coach accident for example), whilst they speed towards the nearest hospital.

When speed is needed, this is the way that lives are saved in many countries.

Sadly, not in Malaysia.

I am always full of praise of the facilities and attractions of this wonderful country, but not as far as an ambulance service is concerned.

The hospitals are excellent, with very good A&E departments but they do not have the back up of a good ambulance service.

I have personally witnessed a number of cases in recent years - and right up to a week or two ago - where, very sadly, because there was no ambulance service, someone has lost their life, which might otherwise have been saved.

One of the reasons that I have chosen today to write about this is that I have just read about what Thailand has introduced in Bangkok. A motor cycle (ambulance) service! Yes, honestly.

They should be awarded first prize for inventiveness and public service. Check out the star.com.my   BangkokMotorbike ambulances. Two wheeled angels.

50 motor cycles come equipped with life-saving tools and will be ridden by specially trained staff at the hospitals where they will be deployed. Or look for THE NATIONAL THAILAND/ASIA NEWS NETWORK.

They plan to expand the fleet to around 200 to 300 ‘motorlances', as they are known.

Malaysia has no shortage of potential emergency vehicle drivers, first aid nurses, paramedics etc and this can create more jobs for young people. But the government will have to be persuaded by local people especially about the need for an ambulance service accessed by just one national telephone number, eg 111. But it will be a budget allocation that will reap very worthwhile rewards for a population that needs such a service and that will help its progress towards a more developed status.

So, I am hoping that this subject will resound favourably with our readers and that a campaign that could be called #Malaysia Ambulance Service (#MAS) will gather support in the weeks, months and years to come.

Who knows? Tomorrow it could be you, or a loved one, who will need such a service - and live to tell the tale…

Well, you can take it up as a project, write to the govt and see if you can catch anyones attention.

25 years ago, I saw a 100 things blatantly missing. My writings went nowhere but over time some of the items came to pass. If there is a need and budget for a national ambulance, give it time and it will come. Malaysia has lots of national development left ahead of it.

@cvco Thank you for your suggestion. I shall certainly follow this up with an appropriate Government department, maybe even to the very top, PM Anwar Ibrahim, who is proving to be a real action man for the country by quickly sorting out many previous years of very slow moving and cumbersome progress.

In any case, I am very glad indeed that you on our chat group have noticed the value of a #MAS (Malaysia Ambulance Service). It is a start and will hopefully gather traction and momentum in the weeks and months ahead.

I am looking forward to seeing more people come forward with their views and support. Even our own expat.com personnel.

Here is why I suggested it. I cant speak for other countries but Malaysia functions as a small family. Its easy to become instant friends with people, even high people. Everyone is very approachable and open. Where I usually started was with the MP representing my neighborhood. They are supposed to allow time you can meet them and discuss anything. Mine was one Wednesday night per month at his house. You can also write to them, an assistant will read the letter and if important and coherent, pass it to the MP for review and discussion of next steps. Ive done that many, many times and got to know them pretty well.

Fine. That said, Im also careful. I got contacted a few times asking permission to publish my letters in the local newspaper and I always declined. Though what I above is true, the problem is that political party loyalties run deep. If I say something, accuse someone, complain loudly, i fear reprisal by the opposite party. I dont want  someone to throw a bomb at my house because it appeared I supported the wrong party -- even if I truly believed I was neutral or obviously neutral, or, in the case of a national ambulance, my letter about it might piss off the private ambulance owners and they, being friends with corrupt police, turn the police on me for "investigation." Huge, gigantic ruckus took place when Uber and Grab were trying to start service because it disturbed the corrupt taxi racket.

Before writing anyone or taking up causes, remember again that Malaysia is basically a small, tight group so you have to first ask, "who is this letter or cause going to piss off?"  Malaysia, being small and tight-knit, doesnt take kindly to outsiders (or insiders) disturbing the status quo however lousy it may seem. Think things through.

Great advice! Thanks.

My association with Malaysia has also been for many years. In that period I have been very, very careful not to tread on anyone's toes because of the conditions that I signed up to when joining the MM2H programme. No politics! Quite correct. As expats, we are guests of the country, not citizens.

Hopefully, every one who wishes to get involved will understand that my motivation is purely to help anyone (citizen, visitor or long term visitor) to receive timely medical help and/or to save a life at economical cost and benefit to the country.

No political agenda.

With much good hope for the future - and a successful outcome.